The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clippers used for Dogs and Horses??

Just curious if anyone has used or recommends any clippers that works well for dogs and also on horses? I am not looking for body clippers, just something that could give the poodle a trim and also the horses face and legs. Any sugguestions?

Thanks!!

I used my Oster on horses and dogs... not a poodle but a Newfie that needed to have his coat shaved for the summer when we lived in GA. The only thing I did was use different blades. You'll notice that a lot of the clippers advertised in horse catalogs are also advertised in dog catalogs.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

ditto. Horses get done w/15 or 10, dog uses a 5 or 7, wound edge clipping gets a 40 (as do bridle paths when I get tired of redoing them all the time).
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

I have a pair of Oster 2-speed clippers that will body clip my horse and also my dogs
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

We use the Oster A-5 or A-2 (older model) on both the horses and dogs. I do use the same blades, 10s on both. I have other size blades, just don't want that close a clip most times. They do sell dog blades for special trims, skip tooth types.

Clippers do nice short job on bridlepaths, face clipping for daily use or removing long winter goat hair under the chins! I LIKE being able to see a horse shaped head in winter!!

With the dog, Bouvier, I do use the clip-on combs to prevent cutting too close. I can get those combs at Sally Beauty supply in sizes from 1/4" to 1 inch deep which helps me cut dog as I prefer. You have to clean the combs and blades more often, dog hair is soft, but the cutting is clean and neat. Combs also prevent hot blades from burning the dog during long cutting sessions. She does take a LOT of clipping at times, since hair is like Poodle hair, never quits growing. After winter, we might have 6-8 inches of hair to remove, since she is outside all day in all weathers, and it gets cold up here. Kind of like spring sheep shearing!!

Summers she is clipped pretty short all over, maybe 1/2" with some face shaping and beard thinned. I want to see her face too, so not a show Bouvier, blockhead cut. Much cooler for her with all the busy work she has keeping things checked up on. Dries quick in the rain or going thru the kiddy pool for cooling off. She is supposed to look "rough and tousled" so the only tight clipping is on the back of ears. Easy to run a comb thru short hair, thinned face hair, clean her up fast. Here is a just trimmed photo last fall, some hair for cold, but not long for winter yet.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...96750802ZcCnst

I like my Oster A clippers, they are very handy, powerful for the uses I named. Thick hair, wads of hair, coarse leg hair don't stop them.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I tried clip combs on the corgi. Corgi coats laugh at your silly clip combs and then have them for a tasty snack.
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.