The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hair falling out???

One of my horses seems to be losing its hair... not just shedding - but complete bald spots. This is not happening with any of the other horses and they are all in contact with each other...

Anyone have any info for me ... going to the vet tomorrow..but would like to know anything I can learn NOW!

TIA.

some kind of fungus?

Can you pull out chunks of hair, or is it more like shedding, just all the hair is gone and skin is left?

My horses have had the former (chunks) and they've responded well to Microtek.

No skin irritation .. no sores or rash.. and does not seem to be any discomfort as I can touch it... but all the hair is coming out in areas (up to the size of a med orange in places.) Started in the girth area..so I thought nothing of it...a bit of girth rub.. but now there are patches on the shoulder, chest and hip. All the way down to the skin....

Oh Lord...I don't like those dogs with no hair...and don't think I want my horsey looking like that either! Going to the vet in the morning.

Sometimes when a horse struggles to sweat during the hot summer days, their body begins shutting down. If he is losing some hair on his face or in typical high sweat areas, make sure that during exercise he is sweating accurately. Some of the horses with anhydrosis look like they are molting because their body is trying to cope with not sweating.

Don't know if your horse is handling heat well or if you are in a hot climate but that's just a common issue down here in HOT Florida!!

In South Texas and it is hot as he// down here this summer!