The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone here loan out bits????

I am looking for some sort of a bit for my boy, but I am not sure what yet. I am not loaded with money to just start buying them. and was curious if anyone has one that I can try and if it works, then I will go buy one?

My horse has a problem with brakes. I have been getting help and its helped a lot. My problem is some bits he just grabs and ignores me when I ask to whoa. Voice commands, seat and leg help but cannot stop him alone. when I am in the whoaing state, if I touch the bit he grabs it and puts his head up.

I can use a little leverage, I am using a kimberwick on him now, the bottom ring is great, He stops for me, But if will bury himself on the fore hand if I try to have just light contact. I push him forward and he buries even more. the top ring is not enough, He won't stop but does not bury himself as much.

Im thinking double reins??? I am using double reins on the kimberwick. but would rather have something more like a snaffle on top and a little leverage when I need it?

What about a 3 ring elevator? how do they work? can anyone give me ideas??? What do I look for on Ebay???

I'd let you borrow mine, but I don't think anything I have is what you are seeking. I am a die hard snaffle fan.

But I will say- WHOA! is not something you ask for--it is an order, and no amount of bit is going to stop a horse that doesn't want to! Ask me how I know!!!!

He needs to understand WHOA! means, you are to stop moving right this very instant. This is the first thing I teach a horse. I do it on the lunge line, start from the walk--I use a Be nice Halter, because it puts pressure on the pole if you shank it, but I suppose a line through a bit would work are well...and basically when you say the word, give them three or four strides (based on the size of the horse) and if they don't stop, you say it again louder and stronger and give a pull on the line. For really youngsters that just don't get it, I will ask a third time, this time face them to the fence so they have to stop. When they do, lots of praise.

Keep asking at the walk until you get a Whoa! consistently. Then move up to trot, same drill. Do this until you have a horse that stops- push button when you say the word.

When riding, you really need to stop a horse from your seat. I don't care if you are a body builder, you aren't going to get a horse to stop that doesn't respect the command no matter how much bit is in their mouth. And this can be quite dangerous.

Many years ago I had a horse take off with me in a 1000 acre field, no amount of pressure would work with him, finally I pulled his nose all the way around to my foot by reaching up to his mouth and he still spun in circles until I coudl get him near a tree and he stopped.

A horse needs breaks...good breaks at that. Please teach your horse to respect a WHOA!

I will try again on the lunge line. If I am leading him, he has GREAT brakes! he will stop and back just by watching me. ( a little Clinton A training helped there)

Lunging he KNOWS what whoa means, he just ignores it. I will work with him more.

riding, I have turned him into the fence before. It stops him, does it help training, and not just an emergency stop? I didn't know that.

Thanks again for your help!

I think bit'o'britain does a bit rental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I am using double reins on the kimberwick.
    It's not really meant for use with double reins - that's more for a pelham.

As for borrowing bits - we do it all the time at my barn. I just throw it in the dishwasher upon return.
    ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung

Quote Originally Posted by Mor4ward View Post
    As for borrowing bits - we do it all the time at my barn. I just throw it in the dishwasher upon return.
    This is my problem, the last bit I borrowed was lost somewhere in my car...never to be seen again!

talk to your trainer. My trainer has about $40,000 in custom bits and most of her students ride in one at some point. She's great about loaning things out. I however, ride in a $25 plain D ring.... sorry Shuttleworth :-/
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I can't help out with the borrowing bits thing but...

You horse sounds very similar to mine. I used an elevator on him with two reins (one on the big center circle and the other on the bottom circle) and it works wonders. I am able to stop him and keep his head up at the same time! At shows we used to go in a segunda becasue he had really bad breaks, but now he goes in a D-ring corkscrew.

Thanks CenterStage, That helps, I have ridden in one before, but only with reins on the bottom ring. I liked it! But it was not on my horse.

Unfortunately I do not have a trainer right now. I mean there is the trainer that I used to have, (I still call her my trainer tho) but I cannot afford lessons, I am not even at the same barn anymore, and I hardly talk to her. I wish I could be in training with her again, she was great!

I am on my own with my horse now. Its not easy, but its a HUGE learning experience, I take what I was taught, and keep trying to apply it to my riding. But thats all that I can do right now.

No one at my barn has anything either, they are all western arabs. or the english they do I don't agree with. I don't like some of their bits either.

Thanks for all your help! I will keep looking for a bit. If the tack stores here had good return policy I would get one and if it doesn't work then return it. but thats not an option.

You can rent Myler bits for $5 from this site:

http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/tack/bits/mylerbits.html
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~