The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MFHA Web Site

For new foxhunters, or folks like me that have hunted for decades, or those who think it's cruel for that matter: I really, really recommend the opening slide show at www.mfha.com. You get to see all phases of the hunt, accompanied by the appropriate music, whether from hound or horn or human voice. The web site's been redone recently and I didn't explore thoroughly, but it looks like some good new features have been added.

This may sound silly but I enjoy watching it on occasion. I like the improvements to the site but admit I'm not happy about Covertside being outsourced.

I'm also not happy about COTH no longer printing the hunt roster.

But the video does bring a smile to my face.... especially in summer when the season seems far away.

Question

What?? CotH isn't printing the hunting roster?? Where do you go now to get the info?

No hunt roster???? How did I miss that?? Very, very disappointed to hear that. I love that issue. My favorite.

I read that in a recent issue of Covertside - the first issue published by the new company.

Question

I went to the MFHA site and there isn't the kind of info that the CotH had. Where do I go now?

I want to know about the different territories, who is who, who is new, etc.

Deep Run's huntsman won the horn blowing contest at the Va hound show. I would like to know more about him and Deep Run. WG said he is new.

Default Where to find the hunt roster

Hi,
    I'm the new publisher of Covertside. I think it's appropriate to explain a few things here:
    1) The Hunt Roster will be available at some retailers (including Dover, Tri-County, the Tack Box and a few others. You can also purchase it through us or MFHA. I will be placing an ad in COTH that will explain this and offer info on how to find it.
    2) For the record, Covertside has always been outsourced. Norm Fine was also a contractor, just like me, who had his own company, just like me. I offered MFHA a plan to actually make a little money (which included publishing the hunt roster and returning the profits to MFHA, which is something that COTH did not do), and support the sport of foxhunting.
    3) As I understand it, COTH was invited to bid on the project. They chose not to.
    4) It was an open bid and there were several competing companies, including the former contractor. I presented to the MFHA board and they chose me.
    5) We also have a website, called www.ecovertside.net. You're welcome there anytime. It's a companion site to the print magazine.
    6) Content of Covertside: Believe it or not, it's not that much different--we're using the same writers and the same photographers. We just modernized the design a bit.

Please feel free to send me a pm as to why you're not happy with decision to outsource--if there's something you don't like about what we're doing (there's only been one issue, so I'd love to know before we get too far down the road), I'd be happy to take suggestions. We're very reader friendly and also welcome submissions, suggestions and ideas. And, as I understand it, COTH is still doing a hunting issue in the fall.

I've got no complaints about the quality of Covertside now or when Mr. Fine was involved. Matter of fact, the magazine has improved tremendously under both and I look forward to each issue.

I adore Norman Fine for reasons that have nothing to do with Covertside so you'll forgive me for being slightly biased in his favor. He is a legend in the hunting community. And every legend has his or her groupies.

My complaint about the hunt roster not being published in COTH is directed at COTH; not Covertside or the MFHA. The magazine has changed so much that I no longer recognize it, and discontinued my subscription. I rarely purchase it at tack stores - though I always made sure I had the hunt roster issue.

I think omitting foxhunting from a publication that was founded on field sports with horse and hound further isolates a sport that should rightly have tremendous appeal across the horse industry.

Things change. That's life, that's normal, and I understand that.

But some view any change as change for the better, and have little regard for the treasure trove they leave behind in the name of progress. I think it contributes to the problems we see with the quality of horsemanship we're seeing in today's riders, and the lack of cross training and increase in specialization.

No personal or professional insult intended at all. To you or the COTH staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    For new foxhunters, or folks like me that have hunted for decades, or those who think it's cruel for that matter: I really, really recommend the opening slide show at www.mfha.com. You get to see all phases of the hunt, accompanied by the appropriate music, whether from hound or horn or human voice.
    Thanks, Beverley. The opening slide show has some new content, doesn't it? I saw it last year, and just went and watched it again. Don't know why, but it always makes me a little misty.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Default COTH Hunt Roster Still In The Works

I just wanted to let you know that we're still working out the details on our annual Hunt Roster issue. It's true that it may not be exactly what we've done in the past, but we're certainly not planning to give up our foxhunting special issue, hunt roster and foxhunting coverage.

I also want to encourage foxhunters to send in hunt reports to the magazine and website. I'm always happy to publish hunt reports and/or photos on our website. You can always reach me at sara@chronofhorse.com with suggestions and comments.
    Managing Editor for the Chronicle of the Horse

First, I want to say that I enjoy Covertside, and ecovertside mostly although the format as I get it is somewhat annoying.
    I also enjoy COTH and really enjoyed the Hunt Roster every year. I personally am sorry that it will no longer be published with the complete roster of hunts, but glad that COTH is still covering hunting.
    I think that by either not publishing or not being allowed to publish the Hunt Roster in it's past format (and I really don't care about the whosit and whatsit of why that happened) a great disservice is being done to the equestrian community as a whole.
    Many people might be interested in hunting, as so many of us once were, and the Roster provides an easily accessible resource to find the information that you need. Many hunts are not on the 'net and do not have websites, and the information can be very difficult to find. I never heard of the MFHA before I started hunting, so would never have thought to contact them. And the area in which I live is very limited as far as horsey supply places (tack/feed stores etc) and those that we do have are not the type that will carry Covertside for any reason. And tons of people get COTH that do not get Covertside and are not members of the MFHA.
    So by ceasing the publishing of the hunt roster as we knew it, I feel that a large section of the horse community that could become supporters or participants in our sport are being, not denied but the correct word escapes me, access to the information.
    JMHO.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Default WHere to find the hunt roster

At Dover Saddlery, various retailers, on the web. Ultimately it will have a broader distribution than it did before.

Smile Please give us lots of detailed info!

Sara and Eesterson,

Please give us detailed in depth information. I will be able to visit other hunts this year, after 5 years of rehabbing my broken back. I am SOOO excited! Hunts change each year, and which ones would be suitable and fun for me, takes research.

Another topic for discussion is hirelings. How does a well run stable do it? What about insurance? Great American doesn't even have a section for it.

Plus, I want to know where I can get/have made breeches in rust/brick. My colors are with Old Dominion, and it is hard to find ones that fit and are warm. Over on the dressage forum, the dress rules have changed, and those riders are now looking for stock ties in other colors. I can see some ground swell changes starting. Maybe they will discover canary breeches! Anyone know where to find those?

Default Send me your mailing address

Hi, go ahead and PM me your mailing address and i'll make sure you get on the list. If you are a subscribing member of MFHA, you'll get it with your fall issue.

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Maybe they will discover canary breeches! Anyone know where to find those?
    Well, I found some lovely ones via long distance from the Old Habit, but alas no longer an option I guess!

Horse Country carries canary britches.

Well... they did last summer, anyway.

I was there the other day and there were racks of rust britches.

Question

Anyone try Eubank custom tailors in Berryville, Va?