The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how much to lease for a hunt day

I have had a few people approach me asking how much I would charge if I would lease them to hunt one of my horses for a day.

I have a big 17tb that has proven himself as a big quiet dependable guy. he's a first flight horse and easy and comforatble to ride. he's a blast for experienced riders because he gives the ride he's looking for.

he also is great with the novice rider. he'll be nice and slow in the back of the hill toppers if you let him, or just carry one along with a nice easy pace. A friend of mine, who is a novice rider, loves riding him and I let him hunt my horse when i wasn't riding. (i have 2 horses, the other is def. for the experienced rider).

so , some people with guests who are experienced riders or hunters have asked if I would be interested in leasing him out.

So, what is the going rate? (should I decide to do it. I have leased horses out for lessons in the past)

When I had a horse that I leased out occasionally, I charged $100.
    That included the horse being bathed, trailering etc.

A caveat: with a nice horse like yours, if you are leasing to strangers or people who have not hunted before, type up a written sheet describing how he is in the hunt field, anything the rider needs to watch for or be aware of, and instructions as to how he is to be ridden (ie no jumps over 3', ride in second field or hilltop only, or whatever depending on him) and give it to rider before they get on.
    I know people who have learned the hard way, don't just hand your horse over to someone.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Some lessors charge based on how far they have to trailer to the day's fixture. I've paid as much as $120 and as little as $75.
    Last edited by altjaeger; Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Great, thanks!

Oh, those that have asked all know me well and know how I am about my horses. Most likely, I would be riding my other horse at the hunt with them or one of my good friends will accompany.

Nope, I wouldn't lease out without someone I trust accompanying them to the hunt. But writing about my horse and not just telling them is an excellent Idea.

Most people who have asked about leasing are looking for a horse for friends from out of state who are experienced hunters. They all know I won't just hand my horse over.

Great advice though. Thank you!

It might vary based on your location as well. I've paid only $50 in IL, $100-$200 in VA, and $75-150 to lease in MA. At the lower range, trailering was a very short distance, and I groomed and tacked the horse myself. At the top range, the horse was handed to me tacked up and ready to go (though I always see to the horse's comfort myself after the hunt).
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

From $75.00 to $150.00 per hunt.