The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Litchfield County or Newtown, CT?

My husband and I live in NYC and are planning on buying a weekend home with acreage next spring. While horses at home aren't in my immediate future, I would love to hear some opinions on the trails in these two areas. I'm aware of Huntington State Park, CT, and the Steep Rock Land Preserve and am wondering how the two compare. Which towns/streets should I look at to have direct (or almost direct) trail access?

Thanks so much

I grew up in New Milford and rode in Steep Rock quite a few times. There's also White Memorial in the town of Litchfield. And Hidden Valley is lovely, which I think I was told links up with Steep Rock somehow. Can't help w/ road names -- but look online for a map of the areas & I bet you can easily come up with some leads. Good luck!

It's hard to beat Litchfield County for beauty! I'm in eastern CT now, and unless you go up to the Woodstock area, it just doesn't compare for scenery.

Thanks for the tips, Jean.

My husband grew up in Westport, CT, and he's saddened by how overdeveloped that area has become in the last thirty years. Litchfield is lovely, I quite agree. I'd consider Goshen and Cornwall, too, if only they weren't so far.

Quote Originally Posted by prosefullstop View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Jean.

My husband grew up in Westport, CT, and he's saddened by how overdeveloped that area has become in the last thirty years. Litchfield is lovely, I quite agree. I'd consider Goshen and Cornwall, too, if only they weren't so far.
    I know folks who love to ride at Steep Rock and White Memorial, but I haven't been there. There is also Kent to consider. Skiff Mountain and Macedonia state park have trails, there is additional riding on dirt roads and so on, and you are 20 minutes from the train to NYC (if you look on the west side of the village of Kent).

ETA: used to weekend in Cornwall years ago - it isn't so far. 2 hours and a bit. For efficiency looking closer to Route 22 or even the Taconic Parkway can make the commute quite quick and easy. Though some people dislike the NY side of the border, which has much higher property taxes.

Default JeanM

I'm in eastern CT too! Where are you located?

I would definitly say litchfield area! I live in that area and its awesome. We go to steep rock all the time and its great!

Add another vote for Litchfield. In most parts of CT Litchfield county is called God's Country. It's lovely there.
    Westport has developed a lot, hasn't it? I moved out of 2 areas that used to be wonderfully underpopulated with gorgeous scenery and then over developed to heck. I'm now in a town with 6000 people, small for CT. And am loving the fact that we have only one traffic light and no street lights or even a post office. But we do have about 20 Horse Crossing signs. Probably too far south for you though.
    I haven''t been in Newtown for so long I can't give an opinion of what it's like right now.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

TBFan, you have a PM.

We took a drive to Litchfield today, and meandered across the State line to Millbrook/Amenia. Wow, talk about pristine horse country.

I gather Millbrook has plenty of trails, but does anyone know much about Sharon, CT, and the trails in that area?