The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help my stalls. PLEASE! Stall skins?

I'm seriously at my wits end. I've posted before that my new pony (just now a yearling, 11 something hands, 400-450 lbs) drinks 15-20 GALLONS of water a day. The vet has run bloodwork and we are exploring possibilities. In the meantime though... I'm going broke. I can't keep up doing this. That 20 gallons of water all comes out and she DESTROYS her stalls daily. I just can't do it. I can't lock her out because it's too hot without the shade of the stall when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity. Once she's acclimated to my big horse it will be more feasible because he has trees in his pasture. She's not out on grass for more than 6 hours at a time regardless so she still just needs the shade.

I have 12x15 stalls. I bedded with 9 bags of pellets on Friday. I removed the wet spots every day since and this morning she basically had nothing left and is standing on soaked, packed, sawdust. She really needs her stall halfway stripped and a bag of shavings added every.single.day. I just can't afford that. These are some options I've come up with or was pondering whether they'd be any better.

1) remove the mats and see how it works on just the base. I have a feeling it will be slippery and mucky with that much urine every day.

2) stall skins- again, with that much urine would it even drain?

3) Bed very little and hope she decides peeing outside is better... the one day that I was out of shavings and had little in there she seemed to decide it was better to pee outside, but it might have been a one-time thing.

That's all I got... suggestions? help? Please!?

Bucket Train her.... MistyBlue would be the resident expert in this as I do belive Galopin her mare was potty trained to pee in a bucket. I believe the process starts with training them to pee to a whistle as they do with race horses.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Bucket Train her.... MistyBlue would be the resident expert in this as I do belive Galopin her mare was potty trained to pee in a bucket. I believe the process starts with training them to pee to a whistle as they do with race horses.
    WHAT!?! I have never heard of this. THAT would definitely be handy. She does seem a little, er.... dense though so I'm not sure how it would work but I'd be willing to give it a try.

I think for now I would try getting her to pee outside- or- get a drill and drill a bunch or 1/4 inch holes in your matts so it would drain better

I tried getting her to pee outside. When I stripped the shavings to try and use pellets I put all the old bedding in a pile outside and she DOES pee there, but it's getting mucky fast in her little turnout. For instance, we've had flooding the past few days so her paddock is a mess and there's nothing to attract her to pee outside since it's a muddy mess! Any other suggestions how? She did seem to prefer it when I had practically no shavings in there, but she also didn't lay down. She lays down all the time so I hate to take that away since she's still a baby.

I would try leaving the stall without any bedding. My boys don't like to pee in their stalls unless there is bedding or unless they can move their hay out of the corner and use it as bedding. I assume they don't like to be splashed when the urine hits the rubber mats. If there is no bedding, they will go outside to pee and then come back in.

LOL..yeah, I trained Gal to pee iin a bucket.
    Well, she might have trained me, I'm still not sure who trained who.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...05/PBucket.jpg

Gal wouldn't pee outside. I thought it was because of the hard ground and splash, so I put out deep footing/bedding outside. But no dice. So she'd come in at night and flood her darned stall! So I started following her when she wallked in and dropping a bucket under her tail when she'd stretch to pee. It was a very short time before she'd actually wait for the bucket before peeing. Then within 2 weeks she would actually stretch out and then nicker for the bucket, LOL! Same thing in the morning before turnout!

However...although Gal was a The Urinator, she didn't drink that much daily. And she wouldn't just back up to a bucket and pee, she required me dropping the bucket behind her. So not sure that would work.

Now stall skins...those don't allow for any drainage. At least none of the solid ones I've seen. So urine would pool on top and pobably make things worse.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed...the extra drinking and urinating. And hoping the vet comes up with an answer soon.

Meanwhile the only things I can think of are: Put up a run-in shed and put thick sand in there. You'll have to mix in sweet pdz or something often to keep the sand from getting stinky over time though.
    Or else dig out stall floor and add stonedust and then no mats. Thick stonedust base allows for a lot of drainage, but it would have to be somewhat deep so the drainage goes down low enough to not stink.

Unfortunately both are labor-intensive and not cheap.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    I'm seriously at my wits end. I've posted before that my new pony (just now a yearling, 11 something hands, 400-450 lbs) drinks 15-20 GALLONS of water a day. The vet has run bloodwork and we are exploring possibilities. In the meantime though... I'm going broke. I can't keep up doing this. That 20 gallons of water all comes out and she DESTROYS her stalls daily. I just can't do it. I can't lock her out because it's too hot without the shade of the stall when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity. Once she's acclimated to my big horse it will be more feasible because he has trees in his pasture. She's not out on grass for more than 6 hours at a time regardless so she still just needs the shade.

I have 12x15 stalls. I bedded with 9 bags of pellets on Friday. I removed the wet spots every day since and this morning she basically had nothing left and is standing on soaked, packed, sawdust. She really needs her stall halfway stripped and a bag of shavings added every.single.day. I just can't afford that. These are some options I've come up with or was pondering whether they'd be any better.

1) remove the mats and see how it works on just the base. I have a feeling it will be slippery and mucky with that much urine every day.

2) stall skins- again, with that much urine would it even drain?

3) Bed very little and hope she decides peeing outside is better... the one day that I was out of shavings and had little in there she seemed to decide it was better to pee outside, but it might have been a one-time thing.

That's all I got... suggestions? help? Please!?

urm---- secure you bucket or water bin, where is her water access in her stable and what type is it, sound like shes knocking it over rather than drinking it
    if so then you need perhaps a smaller bucket or rubbermaid bowl as they come in various sizes and then stuff it in a tyre so the pony cant knock it over
    and refil as require
    horses and ponies can drink as much as you say if thirsty per day each so not unheard of hence why water must be acessable at all times

Restrict her water intake a little, or just put her outside and let her learn to pee there. She's a youngster, she's a pony, she'll be fine.

Unless your stalls are on pure sand with no bottom, stall skins probably won't be able to handle that much liquid for very long.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    urm---- secure you bucket or water bin, where is her water access in her stable and what type is it, sound like shes knocking it over rather than drinking it
    if so then you need perhaps a smaller bucket or rubbermaid bowl as they come in various sizes and then stuff it in a tyre so the pony cant knock it over
    and refil as require
    horses and ponies can drink as much as you say if thirsty per day each so not unheard of hence why water must be acessable at all times
    urm--my buckets are secured. She is not knocking them over, she is drinking it and urinating massive amounts. Water is accessible at all times/

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Restrict her water intake a little, or just put her outside and let her learn to pee there. She's a youngster, she's a pony, she'll be fine.

Unless your stalls are on pure sand with no bottom, stall skins probably won't be able to handle that much liquid for very long.
    That's what I was worried about. We have a base from the barn pad then stonedust over the top. Would the water/urine start coming back up through the stall skins?

If fine with locking her outside, but she has no shade and her stall happens to be the one positioned so she would be in sun the majority of the day even with her overhang.

How do I safely restrict her water?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL..yeah, I trained Gal to pee iin a bucket.
    Well, she might have trained me, I'm still not sure who trained who.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...05/PBucket.jpg

Gal wouldn't pee outside. I thought it was because of the hard ground and splash, so I put out deep footing/bedding outside. But no dice. So she'd come in at night and flood her darned stall! So I started following her when she wallked in and dropping a bucket under her tail when she'd stretch to pee. It was a very short time before she'd actually wait for the bucket before peeing. Then within 2 weeks she would actually stretch out and then nicker for the bucket, LOL! Same thing in the morning before turnout!

However...although Gal was a The Urinator, she didn't drink that much daily. And she wouldn't just back up to a bucket and pee, she required me dropping the bucket behind her. So not sure that would work.

Now stall skins...those don't allow for any drainage. At least none of the solid ones I've seen. So urine would pool on top and pobably make things worse.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed...the extra drinking and urinating. And hoping the vet comes up with an answer soon.

Meanwhile the only things I can think of are: Put up a run-in shed and put thick sand in there. You'll have to mix in sweet pdz or something often to keep the sand from getting stinky over time though.
    Or else dig out stall floor and add stonedust and then no mats. Thick stonedust base allows for a lot of drainage, but it would have to be somewhat deep so the drainage goes down low enough to not stink.

Unfortunately both are labor-intensive and not cheap.
    Ummm, that is awesome! Unless I could train her with a BIG muck bucket in the corner I'm not sure that it would work! Unfortunately I don't think a run in is in the budget right now. Maybe enclosing part of the overhang to make it more shaded. The stall skins I've seen are a super heavy duty geotextile type, so they do drain the urine- that's their "claim to fame", but with that much I wasn't sure. We do have the stone mix barn pad and then stonedust on top for stalls.

Stall Skins work GREAT!

I have anywhere from a few inches to over a foot of stone dust under my StallSkins and I never have puddles of pee....and broodmares PEE.

I have cleaned stalls in barns that use a few inches of shavings over solid mats....they can get nasty in a hurry.

I do suspect that Stall Skins over concrete would puddle.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Stall Skins work GREAT!

I have anywhere from a few inches to over a foot of stone dust under my StallSkins and I never have puddles of pee....and broodmares PEE.

I have cleaned stalls in barns that use a few inches of shavings over solid mats....they can get nasty in a hurry.

I do suspect that Stall Skins over concrete would puddle.
    What is your stonedust over? I want to say our stonedust ended up being 4"-6" in the majority of places, but this is also over the rock mix (53's ?) that they used for the building pad. Do you have a smell?

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Stall Skins work GREAT!

Interesting... and SO convenient... I'm dying to know: Is odor a factor?

I have Stall Skins over crushed concrete/sand, going on four years. No, urine has never seeped back up through and puddled, but in the winter when everything is frozen solid, they no longer act like Stall Skins because there's nowhere for urine to go. More bedding in the winter, for sure.

If a horse is really peeing a lot in one spot, I will get a damp, smelly patch there and it can take a day or two for it to dry, which tells me that there is a "saturation point" beyond which the Stall Skins will no longer work optimally. A little air exposure, Pine Sol, and a couple of "days off" for the stall does the trick.

How to safely restrict water? Well, you have to be observant. Watch the urine (the clearer the better), watch the animal, watch her drinking habits. If she's just fooling around and drinking out of habit or boredom, restricting her will do no harm at all, provided she can meet her needs.

If she's drinking 20 gallons consistently, try giving her 17 for a day or two, then 15. Be observant and see how it goes. If the weather is truly, truly brutal, that might not be the best time to experiment, but a little pony youngster might just be entertaining herself rather than "needing" all that H20.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    What is your stonedust over? I want to say our stonedust ended up being 4"-6" in the majority of places, but this is also over the rock mix (53's ?) that they used for the building pad. Do you have a smell?

Stonedust is over clay. We have quite a slope hence the difference in depth.
    No, it does not smell, there is minimal ammonia
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I would first wait until you got test results back from the vet, hopefully not more than a few days from now. There may be something triggering her thirst, so an extra bag of shavings may be cheaper in the long run than redoing her stall, or lock her outside when you can. A friend of mine had a horse that was drinking massive amounts of water (around 40-50gal a day), turned out to be bute toxicity from the 1 gram he was getting daily for his navicular, along with a behavioral issue- he was simply hooked on drinking. They started rationing his water and changed medications, he is now drinking half the amount!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

arabz has a thread goin on shade mesh curtain thing... could you maybe attach one of those to her overhang to provide her with shade and then kick her tooshy outside?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=261894
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I would first wait until you got test results back from the vet, hopefully not more than a few days from now. There may be something triggering her thirst, so an extra bag of shavings may be cheaper in the long run than redoing her stall, or lock her outside when you can. A friend of mine had a horse that was drinking massive amounts of water (around 40-50gal a day), turned out to be bute toxicity from the 1 gram he was getting daily for his navicular, along with a behavioral issue- he was simply hooked on drinking. They started rationing his water and changed medications, he is now drinking half the amount!
    Sadly, the results were normal. I'm going to call a different vet and look into more testing, but the initial panel was completely normal- cbc, liver, kidneys, electrolytes, sugar, etc. etc.Sorry- don't know all the technicalities of it.