The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has a Gas Co. Knocked on Your Door?

Last evening, the hub and I watched a documentary titled 'GasLand'. The hub had mentioned this film to me about a week ago as he had seen some of the previews. It depicts the film maker traveling around the country interviewing property owners that have either signed leases with gas companies or reside in close proximity to gas wells where this type of 'fracking' (high water pressure drilling) has been done.

Natural gas and other contamiments have been found after it was discovered that the water coming out of faucets is flammable. Other problems include a host of health concerns, symptoms of illness- and the question of what effect this has on livestock (to keep this HR). Showed some large ranches where the air quality and water contamination are present!

http://sundance.bside.com/2010/films...d_sundance2010

I know that up until approx. a year ago there was a huge buzz in/around the Binghamton area (NY) and a gas co. did purchase a couple hundred acre farm nearby my residence. There have also been some gas wells drilled in the vicinity (20-30 mile radius). It looks scarey- and you can bet I will not be entertaining any gas companies that come knocking at my door!

I know someone went to my grandparents with something like that - up in the fingerlakes region of NY (about 30 minutes from ithaca). I'll have to call and ask her whatever came of that...
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Yeah, there have been many property owners (larger farms in the area) as my neighbor (350+ acres) asked me a few months back if I had heard or received a visit from the gas company. She said she had, that a representative had paid her a visit asking if she'd be interested in leasing her land (she is recently widowed and in her mid 70's). She also told me that there had been some special meeting with the Township she resides in and that for the time being, the drilling was on hold for some reason. Now I'm curious if this might be the reason!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Marli View Post
    - and you can bet I will not be entertaining any gas companies that come knocking at my door!
    That might not make much of a difference if your neighbor allows drilling on his property.

Oil and gas landsmen make used car salesmen (pick any steriotype) look like Salvation Army workers.

"This is our best offer and all your neighbors just signed. If you don't sign they will get all the money from the gas that's under your land. Because you're the only one who hasn't signed I'm making you a special offer so don't tell them what I'm offering you"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default WATCH OUT !

Watch out ~ snake salesman ~ IMHO ~ NO ONE ( neighbors & friends) who have bought into these system ~ has been pleased with construction, maintenance , and certainly the uncertain and limited income ~ just remember "a fish salesman isn't going to tell his product smells !"
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

... _. ._ .._. .._

I think a lot of it has to do with the Marcellus Shale. That gas is over 10,000 feet down, and NY has stopped the drilling in it, so it has all moved to PA. Trust me, the gas industry is chomping at the bit to get to the NY Marcellus.

I work in Natural Gas Compression. Last year, our entire company was losing horse power because of the recession and gas prices. My district, which covers NY, PA, OH, WV among others, beat our forecast, and was the only area gaining horsepower. The Marcellus is the only place in America with significant drilling activity.

That being said, I had many arguments with my husband over whether or not to sell our gas rites. I was wholeheartedly against it. While I make a living off drilling, I don't want those destructive SOBs anywhere near my land. I already have a well on unused farmland and it is hassle enough. So, they did drill wells within a quarter mile of our home and pretty much ruined our well water. My boss swears up and down it is ground water issues giving me black flakes and sulphur in my well water... funny how we NEVER had ground water isues until they started drilling next door.

Most of the trouble is actually salt in the water. I have friends who give their dogs bottle water now that their well water is ruined.

Whenever the gas companies knock on my door, I come out on the porch and give 'em heck. They don't knock very often anymore.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Watch out ~ snake salesman ~ IMHO ~ NO ONE ( neighbors & friends) who have bought into these system ~ has been pleased with construction, maintenance , and certainly the uncertain and limited income ~ just remember "a fish salesman isn't going to tell his product smells !"
    LOL, I recieved repeated calls from someone wanting to buy our standing timber, they were cutting our neighbors timber and would offer us $$$$$ for ours.

I repeatedly refused telling them that it would cost way more to clean up their mess and reseed the land than they were offering. They kept telling me it was a great opportunity and they certainly wouldn't leave a mess behind them.

The last time they called I told them they could HAVE the timber....as long as they left the property looking like a golf course.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    That might not make much of a difference if your neighbor allows drilling on his property.
    Yeah, I know!

I'm thinking I'll have to stop in and see my neighbor and ask if anything more has happened.

fracking is scary stuff
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    LOL, I recieved repeated calls from someone wanting to buy our standing timber, they were cutting our neighbors timber and would offer us $$$$$ for ours.
    I get half a dozen of those a year... Usually from some timber company who is just looking at maps and hasn't even been by to see that my woodlot is managed and was just selectively cut last year. Duh.

And yeah, even with a managed lot and a company that "cleans up" after themselves, it usually takes a few years to get it back to normal again. Heck, I'm still missing 75 feet of fence, and they took all the wire and posts and boulders and wadded them up at each end of the gap. I haven't signed off on it yet, and I'm THIS close to sending them a bill for it. In fact, next year when it's rented to the neighboring dairy farmer and HAS to be fixed, that is probably exactly what will have to be done.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Watched it last night and it brought me to tears and made me angry at the same time. This is what our country is coming to. It's about greed, money and profit at the expense of people and the environment. No one is going to give a sh**t about those poor people who have been affected. They live in the middle of nowhere so who cares about them? What about those people in Dish Texas and the amount of chemicals in the air that they are breathing?

When the ground water is contaminated it will affect ANYTHING that relies on it including our horses. Even your organic food that you think is safe will be affected. Once the damage is done there will be no fixing it.

To think that there are people that complain about the eyesore that wind turbines present. At least they are safe. Those wells and tanks dotting our once pristine environment out west look worse.
    Five Star Tack

Quote Originally Posted by redlight View Post
    Watched it last night and it brought me to tears and made me angry at the same time. This is what our country is coming to. It's about greed, money and profit at the expense of people and the environment. No one is going to give a sh**t about those poor people who have been affected. They live in the middle of nowhere so who cares about them? What about those people in Dish Texas and the amount of chemicals in the air that they are breathing?

When the ground water is contaminated it will affect ANYTHING that relies on it including our horses. Even your organic food that you think is safe will be affected. Once the damage is done there will be no fixing it.

To think that there are people that complain about the eyesore that wind turbines present. At least they are safe. Those wells and tanks dotting our once pristine environment out west look worse.
    It IS all really sad. My thought also went to preserving organic food sources- but the film captured livestock (cattle/horses) drinking the water contaminated with the gas and other chemicals. It begs questions of further health hazards ie; reproductive problems problems (human and animal), central nervous system disorders, carcinogens- you name it.

My grandfather was forced off his farm by the cement company. They somehow had mineral rights under his farm. He didn't want to "sell", so they just kept blasting the quarry closer and closer until the windows started breaking from the blasting, and grandpa finally gave in, gave up the farm, and went to work for the cement company. That was back in the 40s, so not sure what laws would be like now, but I've visited the area and the quarry is still operating.

Does drilling not fall under the same domain as transport of gas/oil? Just curious because I know the gas companies don't need your permission to build a pipeline on your property. They will ask and offer money (I know, because I used to do it), but if you say no, then you go to court and instead of getting the $10k I offered you, you get what your land is worth as viewed by the court, which is not much, and the pipeline crosses anyway. It's called eminent domain.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    Does drilling not fall under the same domain as transport of gas/oil? Just curious because I know the gas companies don't need your permission to build a pipeline on your property. They will ask and offer money (I know, because I used to do it), but if you say no, then you go to court and instead of getting the $10k I offered you, you get what your land is worth as viewed by the court, which is not much, and the pipeline crosses anyway. It's called eminent domain.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the problems being caused by this wells are a result of eminent domain (though I could be wrong)

My county (Broome) is one of the hot zones and it just gets uglier by the minute.

Seriously...did you know that people with less than one acre lots in populated areas can sign a lease? Honest to God. So even though we have a few acres the house right next door (less than 300 feet away) could sign and I could have one of those nasty behemouths next door to me. Now the chance that the companies would actually drill there are slim to none, but the method behind the madness is that they secure huge chunks of properties that they can buy out. Luckily no one near us has signed...most of us moved out here for the same reasons...to get away from all that! But not less than 5 miles up the road hundreds of acres have been signed away.

I am actually pretty glad that those who have signed in our area waited to sign for big bucks (in the tens of millions) because the minute my well becomes polluted or I even get an inkling that my right to peacefully enjoy my property is intruded upon I am going to organize the biggest, baddest group of po'd folks in the area and we are going to sue them for EVERY FREAKING PENNY they make. The WHOLE DAMN LOT OF THEM. (and I already have more than 100 venomously committed peeps on board and nothing has even happened...yet...so look out land owners!)
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    My county (Broome) is one of the hot zones and it just gets uglier by the minute.

Seriously...did you know that people with less than one acre lots in populated areas can sign a lease? Honest to God. So even though we have a few acres the house right next door (less than 300 feet away) could sign and I could have one of those nasty behemouths next door to me. Now the chance that the companies would actually drill there are slim to none, but the method behind the madness is that they secure huge chunks of properties that they can buy out. Luckily no one near us has signed...most of us moved out here for the same reasons...to get away from all that! But not less than 5 miles up the road hundreds of acres have been signed away.

I am actually pretty glad that those who have signed in our area waited to sign for big bucks (in the tens of millions) because the minute my well becomes polluted or I even get an inkling that my right to peacefully enjoy my property is intruded upon I am going to organize the biggest, baddest group of po'd folks in the area and we are going to sue them for EVERY FREAKING PENNY they make. The WHOLE DAMN LOT OF THEM. (and I already have more than 100 venomously committed peeps on board and nothing has even happened...yet...so look out land owners!)
    Oh yeah, you're in the location that I've read have already done some drilling!

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know if there was a size requirement or if the gas company would lease any amount. It is definately scarey stuff and I feel the same as you.

Found more. Drilling in NY, Hydrolic Fracturing- http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/104157

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison..._b_617072.html

More- some initiatives to protest-

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/
    Last edited by Marli; Jun. 22, 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add'l info & links

Quote Originally Posted by Marli View Post
    I didn't know if there was a size requirement or if the gas company would lease any amount.

They have to have a certain acerage for certain depths. And as I've mentioned above, they aren't drilling much above 10,000 ft. so they are trying to amass large pools. Also, they have to be so many feet from an existing well. It's always in their best interests to lock up as much as possible to keep competitors out.
    ~ Dave Barry

Ugh, I'm so glad to live where I do. My horse's boarding barn is smack dab in the middle of a wind farm, one of the biggest on the East side of the Mississippi. And people STILL complain. At least the turbines don't poison our water and air!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!