The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Just a little FYI. An article on how to do this is here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...ke_Diesel.html

You might want to print out that pup and keep it in your glove box with the part and tools.
    Here is another good article on the CPS. For the record, I believe the grey (Intl) ones *are* more reliable ... and the one I bought was under $50, FWIW.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...?CPS%20Failure!

Definitely worth having the spare in your glove box.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Here is another good article on the CPS. For the record, I believe the grey (Intl) ones *are* more reliable ... and the one I bought was under $50, FWIW.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...?CPS%20Failure!

Definitely worth having the spare in your glove box.
    OK, 'fess up: Have you ever actually changed one of these en route yourself?

I think being able to do that sounds like a really good idea if there are horses hanging in the balance. But it's one more thing to learn. Sigh.

Oh yes, and what are the signs of a dying CPS?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

PS-- There was no article with that link. How do I find it?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I can't answer your question, but this link has multiple links concerning cps problem.

http://us2.ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl?

I have not read them so I leave picking through them for one relevant to your concern up to you.

I hope this helps.

CSSJR

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    My understanding is that Dodge will be forced by the government to use DEF injection.

Ford has Diesel Particulate Filter on the 2008, '09 and '10.

Here is a link to a long discusstion on a Cummins user board.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...on-2010-a.html

This is another good link by a manufacturer of DEF, but it is more general.

http://www.spatcodef.com/

Left margin: "Download this White Paper" gives you a PDF that is interesting.

So by the first link a quick read leads one to believe that some Dodges have DEF on present models and that all will probably have it shortly.

Not knowing much about Dodges, I state nothing about them as a fact.

CSSJR

I have actually seen that thread, and it is possible that eventually they might need it, but it is important to note that that thread refers to "chassis cab" vehicles which tend to fall under higher weight classes and thus different emissions restrictions/regulations.

What leads me to say that they wont have DEF injection is that the emissions are for 2010+ and dodge met those requirements back in 2007 (the first of the big 3 to do it) with the introduction of their 6.7l engine.

Time will tell on that one i guess...

My memory was rusty about headlight wattage.

More than likely jaeger has 70 watt headlights.

I have seen 1000 watt and 1200 watts as the number for the block heater.

Lets assume 1000 to be conservative.

That would be equal to 14 headlights on bright beam.

So put a light bar on your truck, mount 14 headlights on it and turn them on without operating the engine.

Let me know how long the battery lasts.

CSSJR

Sounds conclusive enough for me

Using logic and reason, you are no doubt correct.

The problem is that the EPA is involved.

At that point, logic and reason are useless.

The EPA was a good idea that ran amok.

Totally out of control.

Someday, if we don't get rid of them, you will be wearing a gas mask.

Only it will not clean or filter the air you inhale.. It will filter and clean the air you EXHALE!!!!

Nut cases.

CSSJR

Using logic and reason, you are no doubt correct.

The problem is that the EPA is involved.

At that point, logic and reason are useless.

The EPA was a good idea that ran amok.

Totally out of control.

Someday, if we don't get rid of them, you will be wearing a gas mask.

Only it will not clean or filter the air you inhale.. It will filter and clean the air you EXHALE!!!!

Nut cases.

CSSJR

Haha yea tell me about it. Plus im out here in the Republic of California where the CARB (CA air resource board) has way too much control.

This year, i had to get my diesel truck smogged!!! and it was the biggest joke, and pain in the butt ever. it was only a visual test, as if the smog techs know anything about diesels. They were telling me all sorts of things that just were simply not true. every two years i have to pay 65 bucks for them to look at my truck for 5 min and plug it in to their fancy computer, sounds like a money makin scheme to me.

plus, they wont know if my turbo is stock, or my injectors are stock, or my camshaft, or this or that and whatever so whats the point! its out of control i tell you

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1088 View Post
    Haha yea tell me about it. Plus im out here in the Republic of California where the CARB (CA air resource board) has way too much control.

This year, i had to get my diesel truck smogged!!! and it was the biggest joke, and pain in the butt ever. it was only a visual test, as if the smog techs know anything about diesels. They were telling me all sorts of things that just were simply not true. every two years i have to pay 65 bucks for them to look at my truck for 5 min and plug it in to their fancy computer, sounds like a money makin scheme to me.

plus, they wont know if my turbo is stock, or my injectors are stock, or my camshaft, or this or that and whatever so whats the point! its out of control i tell you
    Yeah, and you are scaring me personally.

Young Truck came have after market mods that are legal here in CT. But I could end up back in CA in the foreseeable future.... which will be very long because I plan on making this truck immortal.

I know the tuner will be illegal because it says so in red print on the manufacturer's webpage. No problem, take it out. But the rest of the stuff to go with it? Cool air intake? Straight exhaust? The temp gauges needed to make this truck or any turbodiesel run well? Those seem like invitations to pick on me. If the tuner didn't increase fuel economy (which helps emissions I assume?) I wouldn't care and put everything back to stock.

Can you send me to the clearinghouse of info for emissions in CA? I know they have Air Quality Districts-- SF Bay Area, LA and elsewhere? So some standards are statewide and others are local and more stringent? Does grandfathering happen for older diesels there?

I'm sure it's a question of finding a really knowledgeable diesel shop, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Yeah, and you are scaring me personally.

Young Truck came have after market mods that are legal here in CT. But I could end up back in CA in the foreseeable future.... which will be very long because I plan on making this truck immortal.

I know the tuner will be illegal because it says so in red print on the manufacturer's webpage. No problem, take it out. But the rest of the stuff to go with it? Cool air intake? Straight exhaust? The temp gauges needed to make this truck or any turbodiesel run well? Those seem like invitations to pick on me. If the tuner didn't increase fuel economy (which helps emissions I assume?) I wouldn't care and put everything back to stock.

Can you send me to the clearinghouse of info for emissions in CA? I know they have Air Quality Districts-- SF Bay Area, LA and elsewhere? So some standards are statewide and others are local and more stringent? Does grandfathering happen for older diesels there?

I'm sure it's a question of finding a really knowledgeable diesel shop, too.

I do like to complain a lot.... But yes, the tuner has to come out, the cold air intake should be ok, they didnt say anything about my air filter, the exhaust depends on what your truck was originally equipped with. my truck came with no catalytic converter, so im good there. Did your truck have one? better yet, what year and make is your truck? the gauges are fine, i had mine and they didnt say anything, and they really dont affect the emissions whatsoever. it is also possible there is some sort of grandfathering because you have an out of state vehicle which was never built to CA emissions standards...

Chances are you will be fine, and worst case scenario is you do a little research and find a diesel shop that knows of a smog station that will work with you.

According to the CARB website, the guy who did my smog test didnt even do it right. It is a visual test, a plugin into the computer, and a "snap test" where they mash the gas down to make sure little to no smoke comes out of the exhaust. my guy just did a visual and a computer check.

snoop around here for more info. http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...elWorkInf.html

here is a down and dirty guide. http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...24_2009_gc.pdf

OK, 'fess up: Have you ever actually changed one of these en route yourself?

I think being able to do that sounds like a really good idea if there are horses hanging in the balance. But it's one more thing to learn. Sigh.

Oh yes, and what are the signs of a dying CPS?
    Yep, indeed I have. It took me a lot longer than it should have - it was a little hard to compare the interior under the hood to the instructions I had printed out and stuck in the glove box while alone on the side of the road - but I got it done.

And the thing about CPS failures is that the first symptom tends to be the truck dying suddenly.
    -PaulaEdwina

PS-- There was no article with that link. How do I find it?
    There's not much discussion, just a list of steps to follow:

How to change the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel

Article By: John Heimel

1. Make sure you have the correct part. This depends on the serial number of your engine which should be located on a sticker below the front of the plastic cover for the fuel bowl. Neither Ford or International calls it a "CPS", Ford calls it a CMP sensor and International calls it a CAMP sensor.

Ford Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 F6T012K073A

Serial #375549 and above F7T012K073A

International Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 1821720C98

Serial #375549 and above 1825899C93

2. Remove the #9 fuse under the hood (not in the dash).

3. You may want to remove the belt for easier access, but it's not necessary.

4. Disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector. The sensor is located towards the bottom left on the front of the engine. You'll see the single wire bundle going to the sensor.

5. Remove the old CMP sensor using a 10mm socket. Be careful not to round off the bolt (there is only 1). It's on there real tight and is tough to get to.

6. Take the new CMP sensor and coat the seal with either motor oil or Vaseline and intall it. Install the bolt and reconnect the wire connector.

7. Reinstall the #9 fuse under the hood and you should be ready to go.
    -PaulaEdwina

Man i feel bad for you ford drivers who have to carry around parts that are known to fail.

Just yankin yer chains

Man i feel bad for you ford drivers who have to carry around parts that are known to fail.

Just yankin yer chains
    Yeah, I know. (Oh, and I cut out some of the "space" between the yank and the punch line. Hope that's ok.)

In any case, if the truck world weren't such a booby-trapped filled jungle.... if the 7.3L IDI Ford didn't suck me into this company in the first place... and if the sexier 7.3L PSD didn't have the reputation as the *last* good diesel engine Ford made before the new 6.7s earn a track record, I wouldn't be in this mess.

And you might have to carry other, less convenient parts with other company insignias on them. If I owned a Dodge Cummins with an auto tranny, I'd have to carry that big and expensive part around with me. Like carrying a spare spleen. Kind of a bitch to get, bring with you and insert when necessary. Being a Dodge truck surrounding all this, I might have to pack many "peripherals" like ball joints as well.

I could, I suppose, get a Duramax and Allison tranny. Apparently a fine combination. But then I'd have to put up with "cheap space ship" styling in the interior.

And if I the 5.4L V-8 gasser were stronger.... if I could have found a V-10 that wasn't overpriced for the miles...

You know how it goes. In the face of uncertainty and compromise, we revert to what we know.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Block heaters:

Information I found on a diesel web forum (which is not necessarily a foolproof source of info) said the same thing that CSSJr and others have posted here: that Navistar builds all the engines with block heaters, and Ford puts power cords on the ones being sold in "cold climates".

I didn't know whether KY is considered a "cold climate", but my 2001 7.3 was originally sold in CT, and I figured that classified as cold. I looked around for a heater plug, but couldn't find one. I saw a picture that looked like the one in CSSJR's link, that suggested I should look near the starter. No luck.

Then I was changing the oil, and noticed a cord coming out of the block near the filter base. It looked way too heavy for a pressure sensor lead, so I figured it had to be a heater cord. Followed it around to the front of the truck, and found the plug hidden in the grille, just like everybody said. Don't know why I missed it the first few times I looked.

Cam position sensors:
    There was a recall a couple of years ago. I got mine replaced. My understanding of the issue (which is not necessarily completely correct) is that the CPS was a known weak link for a long time, so well-known that many people carried spares. At some point, Ford switched to a more reliable one. (Somebody here mentioned grey, and I recall reading something about color being an indicator of whether you had a good or bad one, but I don't remember exactly).

At some point, after switching to a better CPS for new models, Ford finally gave in to public pressure and issued a recall for the bad ones. Anybody who is uncertain could do some searching. Ford has a website where you can plug in your VIN and it will tell you whether any recalls apply to your vehicle. I found mine there, and got the CPS replaced free.

My CPS failed and I had it replaced under warranty. I later got a recall letter and it said to bring the truck in - even if you had already had the CPS replaced - to make sure they put in the newer one. I brought it in - they said it was the newer, correct one. Yeah, it would either cut out or not start until it hit the right spot. Those were the symptoms.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    Cam position sensors:
    There was a recall a couple of years ago. I got mine replaced. My understanding of the issue (which is not necessarily completely correct) is that the CPS was a known weak link for a long time, so well-known that many people carried spares. At some point, Ford switched to a more reliable one. (Somebody here mentioned grey, and I recall reading something about color being an indicator of whether you had a good or bad one, but I don't remember exactly).

At some point, after switching to a better CPS for new models, Ford finally gave in to public pressure and issued a recall for the bad ones. Anybody who is uncertain could do some searching. Ford has a website where you can plug in your VIN and it will tell you whether any recalls apply to your vehicle. I found mine there, and got the CPS replaced free.

SimpsoMatt-- that was really helpful. You rock! Thanks so much.

Does "Tatertown, KY" really exist? Is it a redneck oasis? .... not that there's anything wrong with that....
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Speaking of heaters, here's an interesting one on my 2001 7.3 that many people may not have seen:

http://jmatt.net/images/heater.jpg

It uses the engine coolant to heat fuel lines. When I was at the dealer getting my CPS replaced, I browsed through some brochures and found this. It's an optional heater that heats the fuel return line to warm the excess fuel being circulated back to the tank.

I'm not real sure what problem it's supposed to solve. It's obviously not going to help with cold starts, because the engine has to run for a while before it heats anything. I suppose that if the block heater has been plugged in, the coolant will already be lukewarm when the engine starts (anybody know what temperature the block heater maintains?), so it could start circulating warm fuel immediately, but it would still take a while to make a significant difference in the tank. I guess it's for really cold driving where there's a chance of the fuel gelling in the tank even after you get rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    Speaking of heaters, here's an interesting one on my 2001 7.3 that many people may not have seen:

http://jmatt.net/images/heater.jpg

It uses the engine coolant to heat fuel lines. When I was at the dealer getting my CPS replaced, I browsed through some brochures and found this. It's an optional heater that heats the fuel return line to warm the excess fuel being circulated back to the tank.

I'm not real sure what problem it's supposed to solve. It's obviously not going to help with cold starts, because the engine has to run for a while before it heats anything. I suppose that if the block heater has been plugged in, the coolant will already be lukewarm when the engine starts (anybody know what temperature the block heater maintains?), so it could start circulating warm fuel immediately, but it would still take a while to make a significant difference in the tank. I guess it's for really cold driving where there's a chance of the fuel gelling in the tank even after you get rolling.

My 2008 has 6 radiators.

One of them is to cool the fuel line.

Does it also warm the fuel on a really cold day?

I have no idea.

All I can find so far: "should be around 118-122( unless high ambient) check the coolant in your cooler it is on the driver side with a little silver cap it has a sight glass. you probably have air in the system it can be bled with the allen key to the left of it brass let it run and bubles will come out

the temp will always be really high when started because of heat soak"

And this:

Fuel cooling pump noise:
    The 6.4 PowerStroke has a seperate cooling system for the fuel supply system. A loud squealing from the pump mounted on the driver sid of the lower fan shroud can indicate air trapped in the system. Before replacing the pump or performing other repairs, inspect the hose joint attachments, inspect the system for leaks, pressure test the system pressure cap. Verify the system is completely filled and bled as per the service manual. Broadcast Message 7338, SSM 19815.

CSSJR

5.9L cummins for me, based on durbility, longevity, power, and mileage.
    For ease of work, you really cannot get easier than an inline 6, even being longer there is just so much room to work around its great. has the feeling of older cars where its basically an engine and thats it(where you can practically stand in the engine bay!)
    So easy a cavewoman can do it! I love my cummins too - it's in a 2000 Ram 2500 going strong at 177,000.