The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A/O Jr / Rodrigo Pony Tree sizes?

I have always heard that the Rodrigo Pony saddle was built on a pony tree and that the A/O JR was built on a halflinger tree. My pony was measured by our vet and she said the A/O jr fit her back really well. I have an a/o jr with short flaps and ive been looking to find another with regular flaps. I was looking at a pessoa catalog online and in the description for the Rodrigo Pony it said it was built on the halflinger tree too!

heres the catalog:
    http://www.englishridingsupply.com/f...oa_saddles.pdf

Is this true? And if so, would you start to look for Rodrigo Pony saddles instead/too? Ive only been looking for A/O jrs bc i thought she couldnt where a rodrigo pony. Is there any other difference in the two saddles? What are the differences?

There is no difference between the tree in the A/ O Jr and the Rodrigo Pony saddle. The only difference is in the leather used. The A/O Jr has a little nicer leather.
    There is a third saddle that is built on that tree, the Rodrigo Pony Legacy. The flaps are leather covered and it is instantly rideable as it is so cushy. It was made as an alternative to the really high priced French saddles. This one is super soft and also fits kids & ponies like the other Pessoa pony saddles. It is a little more money than the others.

The Legacy Jr is built on a different tree than the Pessoa Pony & A/O Jr

http://www.pessoasaddles.com/2009/eng/home.htm

You might also look for the Pony Sofi or Junior versions
    http://www.ruizdiaz.com/09/saddles.htm

Pleasant Ridge .ca carries the Sofi & will order it with a longer flap for a very reasonable price (& you can still trial/return the saddle).

There are several pessoa saddle models on closeout recently (as they've embraced the XCH gullet system ... ?) though you have to look a little harder for the pony versions.

I think that you are confused. There was another saddle that was made with the adjustable gullet called the Legacy Jr. This was only made in a 15 3/4. it is no longer sold.
    The saddle that I was referring to, the one with the covered leather flaps, has the same tree as the A/O Jr and the Rodrigo pony saddle. The formal name is the Rodrigo Pony Legacy XL. I may not have been that clear in my other post.

I can't comment on the other saddles because I don't know, but we have a Pony 15 3/4 that fits EVERYTHING, from a 12hh barrel-round pony to a 16hh TB. (Okay it looks a little funny on the TB because the flaps are short, but it fits her back just fine!)

Ours is about 10 or 12 years old, and you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers before we part with it.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

A decent summary of most of the available "Pony Saddles"

http://www.justforponies.com/closecontactsaddles.aspx
    - they seem to have most versions of the Pessoa Pony & Jr saddles: just pay attention to the trees

There was another saddle that was made with the adjustable gullet called the Legacy Jr. This was only made in a 15 3/4. it is no longer sold.
    This saddle may no longer be manufactured but it is certainly still sold

FWIW I picked up a Rodrigo Pessoa Pony 15 3/4 recently & was very disappointed when it didn't fit any of the 4 ponies (2 Welsh Section B's, 1 Welsh Section A & 1 POA mix) -
    very disappointing after all the reviews such as this one ...
    we have a Pony 15 3/4 that fits EVERYTHING, from a 12hh barrel-round pony to a 16hh TB

Really? How old is the one you bought? It may not be 'old enough'. The one we have was made in France and I think more recent ones were made in Argentina.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

The Pony saddle has had the same manufacturer since it was first made.