The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OCD chip

How much would a small OCD chip in a hind ankle affect your decision to buy a horse? The horse in question "passed" the vet check in every other way and has not had an issue with the ankle. Vet doing the PPE said it was small and round, so likely old.

Horse is nice quality with above average conformation and movement, but has very limited show experience/training due to the owners lack of interest in riding the horse for the past year.

Any advice on how to find a suitable buyer? Thinking someone with more ambition than money? Or someone that can use her as a broodmare as a backup plan.

I personally passed on a chip in a front ankle. Probably very fixable, but having just put a horse down the prior summer with a horrible coffin joint issue, I am super super heistant for any bone/cartilage issue. I think they ultimately sold the horse-he was super nice. It was a suprise for all involved.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

It's less concerning if the horse has been in steady work and not having an issue. Sounds like that is not the case though.

I would be prepared to lower the price.

she was in steady work, including jumping, until the last 6 weeks or so; I became too busy with paying training horses to put the time into her for the owner. I can see how her lack of recent work may be viewed with suspicion though. Do you think offering a money back trial period with a declining balance would make her seem less risky?

What price range is this horse in?

If there is a chip, it's basically a gamble. Not causing problems now, but no one will be able to predict if it will remain a non-issue or will need to be removed later on.

If the horse has a prior work history without issues, I would expect to adjust the price of the horse by the cost of what the surgery and post op procedures would run. Probably an estimate of $3500-$4500

This may not be an issue if the buyer is not concerned with resale. OCD is an issue if the buyer plans to resale the horse. Also will affect insurance - they will most likely exclude that leg.

Removal of the Chip would run about $2000.00 (or less) with 2 months recovery. Very good prognosis according to the vets we talked to. We lowered the price $5000.00 as a result (to $7500). Owner paid more than that for her as a weanling.

Just struggling with how to market the horse. Really just want her to have an owner that will use her...she is wasted here and far too nice to sit...and current owner is tired of paying her board.

Well, you have reduced and priced her very fairly.

Maybe also contact other trainers in the area, describe the situation. Maybe they have a client that has ability and good skills but not a lot of $ to spend on a purchase.

If she is not in current work, but her strong points are her movement, I would be sure to include a video link wherever you happen to advertise her.

I think word of mouth & contacting other local trainers in the are will be your best best though.