The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bumps - tiny bumps - not sweet itch

Got a new horse in with problems being allergic to SOMETHING. As he is a racehorse we have to be careful what we treat him with. He continuously breaks out in tiny bumps over the neck, barrel, shoulders, hip, some getting as far as spots where it looks as though he is losing hair in a patchy fashion. Coat excellent really, he is fat and shiny, except for these tiny bumps. He's not itchy. We have eliminated all products in the environment that we can, to isolate the allergen, but it's still coming back. Seems to get them related to turnout but not really sure as he's been in, and gotten them.
    We don't believe this is sweet itch because he's not itchy, and doesn't want to rub on anything, seems comfortable.
    I've searched on this forum and throughout the boards and most of the things that come up have to do with sweet itch, and we don't believe that is the condition in this case. This breakout has tiny little pinprick type bumps, very small. I can get pictures and post them on Photobucket if anyone really needs to see but if it sounds like anything you've experienced - can you post please?
    Stumped -? Ideas?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Have you tried a fly sheet with bellyband and neck rug? If it IS an insect allergy of some sort, that would help.

If not, that sounds exactly like the hives my mare gets if I use any of the fly sprays she is allergic to on her. Are you applying any sort of product to the horse's coat? If so, discontinue all of them, then slowly reintroduce them one by one until you figure out which is causing the reaction.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My ottb had what sounds like the same thing a few years ago, had the vet out who said it was a hair folical infection. Had to bathe him with betadine daily for a week and he was on smzs for 10 days, cleared right up in a few days. Vet said I keep him to clean So now I have to make sure I curry after every shower to make sure all the sweat is off, so far he hasn't had another problem.

My jumper is getting the same little pin prick hives combined with huge (some the size of soccer balls) hives. He is not itchy and never did this before I moved him to NJ. Originally the vet and I thought it was hay (he only ate the bright green timothy from out west), so we fed him straight alfalfa and no hives. Then he broke out while eating straight alfalfa, new shipment, so we thought it was the straw but it wasn't. I moved him to a new barn and all was fine but then suddenly he broke out again and vet thought he was allergic to the phyranha fly spray. Gave him dexamethasone and they went away. Fast forward a week and he is balding in spots and still breaking out in hives! The vet and I are completely at a lose.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be. Horse only goes on the Eurowalker because he is insane and hates to be turned out!

Background info...was imported from Germany 11/2005 and has shown up and down the East Coast so he is used to being in different environments

Dex did not seem to help this horse from what they said. It's also periodic, and he does get it in winter when there is no fly spray anywhere. The hair follicle infection idea seems closer to something - thanks - anyone else have any ideas? The balding patches are the biggest mystery. The skin is taking a hit but from what and how to stop it?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

We had a horse who got what I thought at first were insect bites; small hives on his neck, chest and shoulders, and it turned out to be an alfalfa allergy. So, I would really investigate not only his hay, but his grain and/or supplements for an ingredient that he might be allergic to.