The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Honest opinion of this horse... thanks

What do you think of this horse? Any and all opinions are appreciated. Is he maxed at the height in the video or do you think he has the scope to go higher? I know what I think but I'd like to hear opinions. How about his conformation.. are his stifles too straight? I know the video says he is 5 but I think he just turned 7 and this is his pedigree:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...dam_name=Lifes Dancer&foaling_year=2003&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0DpErDeIi4

I'm curious to see what others say, but he is sure cute and seems to really enjoy his job. Is willing to jump from the spots picked and stays in the bridle for the next fence. If I am reading his ad correctly he's doing training level eventing. As the proud owner of a horse who did training level, I can say that they are scopey suckers who don't ever stop.

Dressage is not his strength so we would be plucking him from the eventing world and putting him into jumpers. And I was impressed that he was willing to go from a few of those spots... looks like he will do long, short, and most everything in between. I just need him to go higher than in the video.
    Last edited by LeeB10; Jun. 21, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added stuff again.

I also talked to the trainer and the lead changes you are seeing in the video are just his natural balance as he doesn't have auto lead changes.

I wasnt terribly impressed with his scope BUT I will say he looked much better over the big oxer than other fences. So perhaps he needs a bigger fence to really use him self and is bored. But since they say he is ready to go prelim, I would ask them to do a video with the fences up to 3'7" (prelim height) at least, and see if he puts out the effort.

We are going to go out to the barn and I am putting my daughter on him and I'd like to see him jump some 4' jumps. Trainer says he can do it and it does look like he uses himself better over that oxer but I wondered what others thought.

Having watched the dressage video, I'd agree that at least for now, it's not his strength. However, he's flatting in a two ring elevator and not taking any contact. If he reached into the bit and started to use his back more, he'd probably look better. He's not using himself as well as he could.

If he's really schooling prelim XC fences he should have the scope. I think that once again, if he were using himself better, he'd perform better. He seems willing and I'd certainly go try him based on the video.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I am assuming for the jumpers

I think he's quite cute, but would like to see someone on him with more sympathetic hands. My goodness am I happy there wasn't a ton of trot fences...those bouncing hands had me cringing. (the dressage video was hard to watch as well).

I'm guessing he rushes a bit as the rider has him cranked down quite hard. BUT, he accepts it, so it's a testament to his temperament.

He looks like if you could keep him balanced and listening, but might be able to jump a decent sized fence. He's young and I'm sure with some training, he'd get there.

Only other thought is at having to grow out that tail. Poor horse.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

He kind of looks like a saint for a just turned 7 year old.

He reminds me of the horse that I have for sale who really doesn't look scopey or use himself until the fences get bigger. He jumped better over the bigger oxers and when allowed to have a bit more freedom. I agree that when his flatwork gets better he should be able to rock back and jump more off his hocks. Seems like an honest forward type of horse who would do well in the jumpers.

He strikes me as not being ride-able enough to be given the freedom to really use himself.

Something about his hind end caught my attention at the walk in the dressage video. Not sure what, just didn’t seem “comfortable,” but some horses just don’t. I would say that he was dragging his outside hind more than is normal, particularly to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

I think he's quite cute, but would like to see someone on him with more sympathetic hands. My goodness am I happy there wasn't a ton of trot fences...those bouncing hands had me cringing. (the dressage video was hard to watch as well).

I'm guessing he rushes a bit as the rider has him cranked down quite hard. BUT, he accepts it, so it's a testament to his temperament.

He looks like if you could keep him balanced and listening, but might be able to jump a decent sized fence. He's young and I'm sure with some training, he'd get there.

Only other thought is at having to grow out that tail. Poor horse.

My thoughts exactly. I'd be REALLY curious to see him go with a different ride. One that allows him to use his front end better. LOVE his attitude. He reminds me a lot of my old Eventer.

Considering what he IS able to jump with such a restrictive ride, my gut feeling is that with a some gymnastic work and a more forgiving ride, he will have much more scope.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

a bit confused:

pedigree inquiry says "Bay Horse"

video is not of a bay horse ? Chestnut to my tired old eyes.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

He looks willing enough to me but I do not think he has the scope to do anything over a 1.15/1.20. IIRC you are looking for a high Jr/AO prospect (1.45 for classics).

If you go look at him I would watch him free jump something at the height you are looking for

My two cents. I thought he looked really flat over some of the fences and was taking off from a long spot. Didn't jump through his neck/back. Possibly rider created, but I can't tell that for sure. Better over the oxer.

It would be interesting to see him free jump.

Dressage video--his hind end is more behind him than under him. Leg yields weren't balanced, or particularly "yielding." Althought I don't know how fair coming around a turn and then asking him to quickly switch his bend is...

I think he's interesting though--all depends on what you are looking for and the price

Funny, I think JA and I were typing at the same time!
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Jun. 21, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: observation
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

definitely worth a look, and I also think it would be interesting to see him go with a rider that wasn't in his mouth so much.

pedigree inquiry says "Bay Horse"

video is not of a bay horse ? Chestnut to my tired old eyes

Just saw that so it must be a different horse. The trainer says he has a tatoo and maybe he really is only 5 - I'll have to get the number from the tatoo and look him up that way. He doesn't look 5 to me but.. ?? He isn't expensive.. actually pretty cheap and that is why I was interested to begin with. He is super cute and so willing as well.

He looks like he might be fun to ride, but he's not trying too hard to get up and over, just kinda sails over close to the fences. He takes off from any point though. I agree about trying him over some larger fences.

His trot is a little weird in the dressage video.

Also I didn't realize people were pulling tails.

He's flashy and obviously a looker, but as of right now I'm not that impressed.

To me, he looks very 'up' and overly keen. I do think that this is a result of the rider having a death grip on his mouth and not letting him move forward. Also as a result of this is the fact that he just seems to be plowing around and not really caring what spot he gets to a fence. Except over the large oxer, he jumped over his knees and let them hang pretty badly. I don't blame him because, again, the rider and her unsympathetic hand are not allowing him to use his back and next, and pull those knees up above his chest in good form.

However, I wonder that if with the right training and going back to some serious flatwork (to see if his mindset can be made a little more 'rideable'), he might turn out differently.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

I think he's quite cute, but would like to see someone on him with more sympathetic hands. My goodness am I happy there wasn't a ton of trot fences...those bouncing hands had me cringing.
    werd. I was going to say that too. Yikes.

At this point I would not ask the horse to jump higher. His neck and back are soooo stiff, as is every canter step. If he's smart, he'll start to quit out at the fences when height is introduced.

He needs some basics hammered out IMO, then you'll have a diamond.

His dressage scores are poor compared to the other horses this eventer was riding.
    http://useventing.com/competitions.p...rider_id=61895

My guess is he is nailed on his suppleness in the dressage tests--or lack there of.
    His results are not exciting.

Love him. He just needs some polishing.

He needs to spend some time with a pro who will teach him to use himself properly. Soften through the neck and back--before going further.

***He started eventing in 2008. Therefore he is 7 (if he started as a 4 year old which is the min age allowed)
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!