The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How often do you use venice turpentine?

Vet was out last Tuesday and took radiographs of my OTTB gelding's front feet. He has been a little "off" for the past month, and we thought he might be abcessing. Lo and behold, no abcess but just thin soles. We pulled his shoes (which were making him worse) and the prescribed bute for 7 days and also applying venice turpentine to his soles. I've VT'd him for 5 days (once daily) so far and am wondering when/if I should start backing down on the frequency. Suggestions?
    Cindy

I don't understand the logic of pulling shoes on a thin soled horse. If you want the horse barefoot I'd then suggest hoof boots and pads.. no topical is going to offer THAT much relief.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I don't understand the logic of pulling shoes on a thin soled horse. If you want the horse barefoot I'd then suggest hoof boots and pads.. no topical is going to offer THAT much relief.
    It's only temporary. Vet wants NO sole pressure for the time being. He'll be re-shod in 4 weeks with no clips and beveled inside edges. I have Simple Boots and turn him out in those. Vet doesn't want to do pads, only as a last resort. I used Durasole on him last year and that worked well. He's been barefoot since Feb '09 without any problems. We worked him all winter, but our facility has a wonderful sand/rubber mixture so we don't have problems at home. Shows do not always have that nice footing, so we put shoes on his fronts because he got a little ouchy at our last show. Two weeks after shoeing, he starts getting pretty sore, hence we thought it was an abcess brewing. Otherwise, his feet look excellent. Only the radiographs showed us what was really going on.

Original question: I've VT'd him for 5 days (once daily) so far and am wondering when/if I should start backing down on the frequency.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    It's only temporary. Vet wants NO sole pressure for the time being. He'll be re-shod in 4 weeks with no clips and beveled inside edges. I have Simple Boots and turn him out in those. Vet doesn't want to do pads, only as a last resort. I used Durasole on him last year and that worked well. He's been barefoot since Feb '09 without any problems. We worked him all winter, but our facility has a wonderful sand/rubber mixture so we don't have problems at home. Shows do not always have that nice footing, so we put shoes on his fronts because he got a little ouchy at our last show. Two weeks after shoeing, he starts getting pretty sore, hence we thought it was an abcess brewing. Otherwise, his feet look excellent. Only the radiographs showed us what was really going on.

Original question: I've VT'd him for 5 days (once daily) so far and am wondering when/if I should start backing down on the frequency.
    I'd just keep doing the Venice Turpentine daily until you see improvement. Get some Durasole if you can.

I still have the Durasole. Is it more preferred than venice turpentine? I wouldn't think that I would want to do both at the same time...
    Cindy

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

in a perfect world you could do one in the AM and the other in the PM, but I think I would prefer the VT daily if your horse was getting turned out. I think in addition to its "toughening" properties, it's a tad better in the "seal out moisture" department than hoof freeze or durasole. Right now I put VT on the barefoot 3 year old on night t/o almost every night. I'd put it on every night but I usually manage to forget at least 2xweek.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Durasole is a superior sole toughener. However, one can get better results and much faster if the Durasole is applied to a dry foot.

Click the link, Scroll down and read "To Achieve Fastest Results"
    http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_use.html

Yea, it works exactly like that.

Wear gloves, eye protection. Use good ventilation.

FTR, I just bought a new bottle of Durasole the other day. It was odd, there were two bottles on the shelf- the old amber color and one nearly the color of purple. I called the # on the bottle and asked "what's up here?". The gal said both colors are the same product however in order to keep the drug/meth dealers at bay they had to reformulate the product reducing the formaldehyde a little bit which resulted in the new color.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

which would be why I would order Hoof Freeze from Hawthorne. You have to supply your drivers license and info to order it, but at least it is the same formulation. It's the formaldehyde and stronger iodine concentrations which have been the key to effective sole paint in the past. I can't imagine that has changed!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    FTR, I just bought a new bottle of Durasole the other day. It was odd, there were two bottles on the shelf- the old amber color and one nearly the color of purple. I called the # on the bottle and asked "what's up here?". The gal said both colors are the same product however in order to keep the drug/meth dealers at bay they had to reformulate the product reducing the formaldehyde a little bit which resulted in the new color.
    That amber bottle must've been sitting on the shelf awhile.. Durasole has been purple now for quite some time, I believe!

It was our local farm store, what can I say!

It was our local farm store, what can I say!
    Yeah there's a bag of Omega Horseshine that's been sitting at the local Tractor Supply for months.. and I know for a fact it's the exact same bag...

I go through about 250 bottles of Durasole a year and have been using it for about 5 years. IME, The new Durasole formula is more powerful than the old product and penetrates hardens horn more rapidly. The product has been reformulated several times. Each new formula, the color changes, and the product has delivered better results for me in the field with better efficiency (needs less to do the same job) as a result of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    That amber bottle must've been sitting on the shelf awhile.. Durasole has been purple now for quite some time, I believe!
    It went from coffee color to tea color to dark purple to light purple. Just got a case of the light purple last week. The latest batch blows to older formulas away - and the old formulas were already more efficient (according to my field experiments) than the other sole tougheners that cost 3 or 4 times as much.