The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Concrete ridge in stalls

We have just purchased a farm with a beautiful old bank barn. The stalls have been converted to horse stall - they are concrete flooring so I'm planning on putting mats down and then bedding well with shavings/sawdust as per the concrete floor thread. My issue is that in the middle of several of the stalls is a poured concrete ridge that runs the full length of the stall and is about 3-4 inches wide. Should I : a) just matt up to that point and put lots of shavings over it, b) double mat right over the top of the whole stall (I'd end up with 1 layer of mat over the ridge and two elsewhere, c) tear out the ridge and replace with stone dust/screenings - thereby also giving some drainage to the stalls or d) put down something like soft stalls - could the soft stalls be installed with allowances for the ridge and still fitted securely around the stall?
    Thanks for any advice.

If you put soft stall down, you could just put wood on either side of the ridge to level it off. I am not sure what I would do with mats though...the wood idea would not work as well as the urine would get underneath and rot the wood. I really like my softstall though...so I would likely just go that root and not have to worry about using as much bedding!