The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I think we are all trying to help this mare as she's got a history here that we've been following since viney's original posts from her track days, then she went through the Finger Lakes listings and popped up again. Someone correct me if any of this is inaccurate-I'm going by memory. With all the negative, sad stories out there, I for one am hoping for a happy ending for this mare, COTH style.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

1 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone seen her recently?
    If not, I may be headed up to Canton or Syracuse again in a couple of weeks, and could drop by, and could at least get a couple of pictures if ok with the owner.

My friend has e-mailed me about a couple of other issues, but hasn't mentioned her, so am guessing she probably has no interest, or room. Sorry.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I e-mailed the owners from the ad, waiting to see if they get back to me...if we could GET her here and she is as nice as she sounds temper-wise, it could work, it's just no way would Dad drive to NY to pick up a horse. (I'm not on the insurance for the rig.) Hay is not a problem around here, the policy with Lucky is he's skinny so he gets it in front of him pretty much whenever he's not turned out.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Danceronice, I'll chip in to help with the shipping to your place. Maybe some of the other folks who offered to help me will transfer their help to you.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'll keep everyone posted once they reply or we try the phone. We didn't want to call today with the holiday. Thanks, though, viney. She seems like a sweet mare and Lucky really wants some company.

Wow! I haven't checked in to COTH in a couple days and this is taking a whole new turn. I would be delighted to see this mare in Dancer's barn and my offer to help with shipping still stands. All fingers crossed until she gets home safely.

Well--good news for Broadway'sstardust, at least--I had an e-mail back from the owners, who said they've decided to keep her.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well--good news for Broadway'sstardust, at least--I had an e-mail back from the owners, who said they've decided to keep her.
    Would you mind offering yourself as an option if they change their minds?

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Would you mind offering yourself as an option if they change their minds?
    As long as we've got the open stall...a two horse barn should have two horses in it...

After reading through all the posts/comments her I see that y'all seemed very concerned about the future of this little mare. I just wanted to let y'all know that the owners did ultimately decide to get rid of her. They were going to give her to a rescue but I stepped in just in time to purchase her about a week ago. I hope to turn her into an Eventer and a lesson horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! She's certainly got the breeding to be an eventer.

Kris the "rescue" that was going to take Broadway is the one who first identified her on CL, and after a few months went by and she had no takers, the caring and kind owner of Pearl (who was Pearl's one and only owner since the track) - asked us to network her, which we did. I had several lovely conversations with the owner and we were arranging to have her picked up and sent to Itaska Show Stable for training as a hunter and/or eventer and then she would have been up for adoption through Second Chance Thoroughbreds Inc. In no way was the owner ever getting "rid" of Pearl, in fact she was in tears when we spoke. I welcome anybody to come to our "rescue" and check us out. Pearl would have found her forever person through us and would have been loved, loved, loved. I take great offense to your post Kris.

5 members found this post helpful.

oh geez.... keep egos at the door and just be happy the filly has a home. Do you know how much info Kris did have about the 'rescue'? maybe she was just told it was a 'rescue' and given some 'rescues', she could have indeed 'rescued' her.. Isn't it better she got a home right away though rather than go through rescue, training, etc.?

Well that gives the rescue room to rescue one more horse to retrain and rehome. Sounds win-win to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for being willing to take Pearl on, even if it didn't happen. You'd have done wonderfully for her, as Kris will.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercody View Post
    Kris the "rescue" that was going to take Broadway is the one who first identified her on CL, and after a few months went by and she had no takers, the caring and kind owner of Pearl (who was Pearl's one and only owner since the track) - asked us to network her, which we did. I had several lovely conversations with the owner and we were arranging to have her picked up and sent to Itaska Show Stable for training as a hunter and/or eventer and then she would have been up for adoption through Second Chance Thoroughbreds Inc. In no way was the owner ever getting "rid" of Pearl, in fact she was in tears when we spoke. I welcome anybody to come to our "rescue" and check us out. Pearl would have found her forever person through us and would have been loved, loved, loved. I take great offense to your post Kris.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Viney. The point of my post is not all rescues are bad. We are very happy for Pearl. There is no ego here FI, just clearing things up.

Well, it did not come through that you were happy for her. I am glad this mare already has a home and as Betonbill said, that leaves one open spot for another horse.
    Win/win.

Glad she found a home that will work for her! The owner e-mailed me after she decided to sell again since I'd expressed interest, but from her description she needs a job, not light work and pasture puffery.

I didn't mean any offense by my comment. The only information I had was that Pearls owner was considering sending her to a rescue. I never said the rescue was bad, just that I had the opportunity to purchase her befor she left. I am glad there were so many people interested in her and I have every confidence she would have found a family soon after retraining. I was simply letting everyone know where she ultimately ended up, and where she will hopefully be staying until her final days. I am well aware of the struggle Pearls owners went through in deciding to find her a new home (I hope that is a more acceptable phrase) and how hard it was for them to let her go. In the month that we have been together, Pearl has made great strides. She has already started gaining weight, building muscle, and refocusing on her new career. She is happy and healthy and that is what is important, not what barn she is living at.

5 members found this post helpful.