The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Viney, I've always admired your logical and thoughtful mind. You've just demonstrated it again. I applaud you for wanting the mare, and even more so for realizing she's not a good fit for you now. That is so grown-up!

I am also disheartened by the vet situation in your area. Wow is all I can say.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've, also, always admired you, Viney. I admire you even more now.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

so sad. i hope she finds a good home.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    so sad. i hope she finds a good home.
    She really needs help. Those two photos on the ad were from last year, and the owner kept emphasizing that she was a hard keeper that the barns she was at didn't make allowances for. So I'm imagining a horse in very rough, low body condition. She's been at three barns so far, and the owners have been asked to leave the barn she's at now.

Apparently she's a very willing, hard working horse who isn't show hunter quality. Their goal for their daughter is rated hunter shows. No apparent problems that I could gather from working with a 13 yo person without constant training.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    She really needs help. Those two photos on the ad were from last year, and the owner kept emphasizing that she was a hard keeper that the barns she was at didn't make allowances for. So I'm imagining a horse in very rough, low body condition. She's been at three barns so far, and the owners have been asked to leave the barn she's at now.

Apparently she's a very willing, hard working horse who isn't show hunter quality. Their goal for their daughter is rated hunter shows. No apparent problems that I could gather from working with a 13 yo person without constant training.
    OK people, COTH made it happen for the Old Chestnut Mare, now we need to do the same for this Young Chestnut Mare. I know there are so many more in need, but this is one we can help.
    We need someone to commit to at least giving her some TLC long enough that she's in good enough shape to put on the Giveaways or sell. There will be dribbles to help get her there and hopefully feed her. Maybe someone later in the spring/summer would "adopt" her if she was in better shape and evaluated as a riding horse. We need a trailer to get her there. If I had a farm I'd take her. But I'm not there yet.

Anyone??????? She seems to be running out of time.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Doing a little tossing and turning myself. Have penned an e-mail to my friend to see if they, or anyone they know, may be interested, with emphasis on Viney's knowledge of sporthorse breeding.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Seeing as she is only 15.1 I wonder if pwynnorman may be interested in her for her breeding program? Any other posters breed for smaller horses or ponies? Viney, if you change your mind I have a stall available to stash her until Rolex.

Edited to add: Viney maybe cross-post to eventing as there are many posters there who value your bloodline opinions as much as I do!

Disclosing before we all get too excited about this mare being a good breeding prospect. Viney knows this, I told her years ago and she mentioned it to me in a PM recently. The mare has a parrot mouth. I noticed it years ago when I saw it at the track. I'm certainly not enough of an expert to be able to say whether this condition can be inherited or not, but I think it would make most people take a second look. I cannot remember how severe it was, but it is probably the reason why she needs to have her teeth floated twice a year.

What I also noticed about this mare back then was that she was as sweet as pie. She is not your stereotypical chestnut mare. This is the kind of horse that will make, I think, a good all-around horse for a lower level rider. She's the kind of horse I think that you would like to spend time with, fussing over and just hanging out with. Now, all this is taken from one meeting, several years ago, so take it for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. But, one thing I do know. When I was doing the backside work, I saw a lot of horses. Most I saw, and forgot once they were off of the listings. This one, I always remembered. It's important to me that she finds a good home, that will love her for what she is. My fingers are still very tightly crossed for her.

I disclosed the parrot mouth when I brought her up to my friend - who may have no interest whatsoever. But I was also reading about parrot mouth - that it's not necessarily inherited - but often a poor balance between mare/sire. Could be both a nice lesson horse, and pony broodmare? Or totally reject the latter idea? Just have to see if she can be maintained first, I suppose.

Parrot mouth-Louise how severe? Probably a factor in the mare's poor condition and yes will require more frequent dental work. Parrot mouth is thought to be inherited or from exposure to something in utero (according to my very quick google search without seeing any really scientific articles), so perhaps if she is bred it won't be an issue, but of course there's only one way to find out I guess.

Wish I had a farm................

Anyone here in Ontario I know is not jumping at the opportunity (with the extra work required to bring her across the border).

I was also thinking pony breeders might take a chance.

Keep at it folks!

Equine Studies, it's been several years since I saw the mare and I honestly don't remember how severe it is. I just remember she had one. I wish I remembered more, but, at my age, I'm beginning to be thankful I remember anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I wish I remembered more, but, at my age, I'm beginning to be thankful I remember anything at all.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I wish I remembered more, but, at my age, I'm beginning to be thankful I remember anything at all.
    Louise, I really do need to get out towards your way and have lunch! Before I forget!!

One other thought, local vet coming tomorrow for yearly shots. Will mention it to her as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Louise, I really do need to get out towards your way and have lunch! Before I forget!!
    What, we were going to have lunch? Seriously, any time. I'm anxious to meet you.

I took Broadway's Stardust's listing at the track in the late fall of 2011. Her parrot mouth is not severe. She was a cuddly sweetheart who was obviously much loved by her groom who posed her for the photos. She is a cute mover.
    She would make a wonderful horse for a pony club kid or a kid or young teen who wants a best friend to cuddle and pamper and go to local shows.
    I suspect that some of her hard keeper reputation may come from the fact that the first place she went to off the track was primarily a QH barn, so a TB who needed a lot more food was not something they were experienced with.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Wondering if I am missing something? Many of these posts are phrased in a way that suggests this mare needs saving from some kind of dire situation. From what I can see of the Craigslist ad she is simply a horse for sale. Aside from allusions to her being a hard keeper (not a surprise for a TB) have I missed what it is that she needs to be saved from? Her body condition is a bit lighter than ideal in one of the ad photos, but very far from being a humane case as someone mentioned.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

No one has suggested that she is anything but loved by her girl. It's just that when I talked to the mother, she kept emphasizing that the mare was not getting the nutrition and calories (enough food) that she needs at the barns where she boarded; and that they had not been able to come up with something that the barns were willing to implement. The pictures are both old (more than a year old) and were taken not too long after she came off the track. From that I reckoned that she is in pretty rough shape as far as body condition was concerned. She is a messy eater and drops grain; and the last barn was giving her only two flakes of hay a day. I got the impression that the barns were offended by interfering owners, and that's one reason she moved so often.

She'd probably make a nice foxhunter or low level event horse. I do know that she was jumped and taken to some local schooling shows and jumped in those. She loves being ridden and loves being loved as well.

If I were only 50....
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think the concerns about body condition are that those who've spoken on the phone to the current owners said that current owners mentioned specifically that 1. the photos are old and 2. she's a hard keeper, which usually means you're going to get a skinny horse.

And she's for sale for a few hundred bucks in a lousy market not far from the Canadian border, she's an OTTB who's short and has a slight parrot mouth meaning people looking for show/show breeding animals aren't likely to be interested, so people are concerned. From the sound of it the owners are probably not the sort to dump her but one never knows.

I'm working on my Dad (as Lucky lives at his barn.) He keeps going "I don't want to go looking states away!" and driving out to get her would definitely not be feasible, but she is the general type of horse (small, mare, sound and sane) he said would be best....

She has such a soulful eye in the FingerLakes picture.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing