The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My good ol' Collegiate all purpose takes me through anything and everything. I think there's atleast 4 of them in the barn: mine, another girl's, and my trainer has 2 or 3. We love them! It works great for jumping and you get a nice deep seat for dressage. Nothing to complain about really.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

I rode in a Courbette Derby up through my first season and a half at prelim. Very hard, flat, huntery saddle. But this past year I really felt that the flaps were not forward enough to shorten my stirrups as much as I liked and I was sliding all over the place over the bigger fences. My trainers agreed- suggested that I shouldn't do Intermediate until I got a better saddle. I just bought a used Devoucoux Chiberta and I'm so excited! I rode XC in it at the Lucinda clinic a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to my first event in it next weekend. Hopefully it is still everything I've been dreaming about!
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

Rembrandt Jump saddle - love this saddle, very comfy & well balanced, not sure if they even make them anymore, purchased it in 1999, 100s of riding hours & still in good shape

Amerigo Vega Jump Saddle - ok saddle, nothing special for the $3500 price tag

Prestige Eventer - really like this saddle, better in stadium than on XC, flap not fwd enough for me but nicely balanced otherwise

Devoucoux Chiberta -OMG LOVE this saddle, will probably be loathe to ride in the others now that I have this one. I really land "in the stirrups" and feel perfectly balanced in it. I found a used one in my size on ebay, and just ordered a new one as well with a wider seat (my seat bones hang off the edges of nearly all my saddles!)

I'm riding in an old Stubben Scandica MF Spezial. It has the elk leather on the seat and the knee roll, HUGE front and rear blocks and a very forward flap.

My trainer is not a fan. She thinks the seat is too small for me (which it really is, but not that bad) but I love it. My horse can do anything and I stay with him.

I have tried some flatter jump saddles in a larger seat size with smaller blocks and just felt naked....and as if my horse could just slide out from under me way too easily!

The saddle also fits my horse very well, though he has become an easier fit since he's gained all kinds of weight and muscle. It's really hard to find something I like as much as this saddle. It got me through a year of YEE-HAW TB in winter, with only 1 dirt sandwich!

I have the Pessoa A/O right now while my baby finishes growing up. I agree with an earlier post about pinching with the knees a lot in this saddle. I rode in my trainer's Devoucoux Chiberta and my friends Bruno Delegrange custom and I didnt pinch my knees at all in either of those saddles.

Besides that little quirk I think the A/O is a wonderful saddle for the price, it has pretty nice leather and the tree is really well balanced.

I'm eying the Black Country Vinici Jump saddle, the Prestige DX monoflap and the Amerigo Close Contact Jumping

Black Country Wexford.... I only jump small fences... but I love my saddle.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Right now I have two - both were incredible deals - one off Ebay, one from the local tack store. The tack store one is an Arc de Triomphe, which has fabulous balance over fences and really frees up your hips to release backwards. The newest one, a used CWD, is even better than my AdT, which is hard to believe. The AdT seems to really good at keeping my feet directly underneath me, which is great for flat, but due to my long thigh, I tend to need a saddle with very slight chair seat tendencies on the flat so I can really release my hips over a fence. That's what the CWD does. BOth saddles were bought for under $1500, and both are very nice Frenchies.

Btw, as noted by others on this board, I've tried out just about everything out there - guess I'm a saddle junkie. I'm 5'5, very long from hip to knee (18+"), but pretty evenly divided between leg and torso length. I also have a very tipped pelvis (tipped under, so it's ridiculously easy for me to sit on my pockets like a guy). I must be the only person on this board who doesn't like Black Country saddles - I feel locked into place with them. I prefer the French saddles. I also don't care for the Bates/Wintec line, as they tend to encourage me to pinch with my knee and let my lower leg go slingin' backwards. Albions and Counties do the same thing to me that the BC saddles - lock me into place. I guess I'm a French bucket kind of gal - like the Antares but fight a chair seat on the flat too much; Devoucoux is heavenly for the tush but also puts me into a slight chair seat. The CWD and the AdT are the best for a good, solid lower leg.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Started in Crosby PDN, then bought a Bates Caprilli jumping saddle. I had it re flocked with wool, and LOVE it. Fits many horses well without changing gullet. It has held up really well, too, and I have ridden it exclusively HARD for about 9-10 years. I would buy another one, it fits me, my ponies and is very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by BadEventer View Post
    (my seat bones hang off the edges of nearly all my saddles!)

Me too! This is why I hated most of the saddles I tried when looking.

I ride in the Prestige eventer and even though I know it probably wont be forward enough for Intermediate+ I love it now and its fared well for me through Prelim. It has this awesome leg lock type of balance without having tons of blocks (I took the calf blocks off) and promotes keeping my balance over the seat rather than some saddles which I feel pull me out of the saddle too much over the fence. I will always keep it for stadium and starting young horse in the lower levels because its awesome.

Bates Elevation J, affordable and comfortable. It has served me well on a couple different horses now.