The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of saddle do you jump in?

I have a Pessoa AMO.

I'll start by saying that while I realize this not an "event" saddle, I absolutely adore it for jumping.

So, a few things:

Do you think that to be an upper level event rider, at some point it's going to harm me to have such a minimalistic saddle? It's close contact... no deep seat, big knee rolls, etc. I'd be curious to see what kind of saddles some of the big time riders go XC in.

And what kind of saddles do you all have? Please share!

No big time rider here, but I jump in a Bates Eventer. I really like it as I have a long leg from hip to knee and most jumping saddles don't have a flap long or forward enough to take up my leg. This one does.

It's very comfortable and secure.

Devoucoux Biarritz, love it!
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Black Country Tex Eventer .

Stubben Roxane, which I love. I had a Kieffer close contact (the very flat, cut like a Prix de Nations type) until last year, and I had a lot of trouble staying with my horse's gigantic leaps over fences/ spooks etc. in it. This horse can JUMP, and I never know for sure what's going to make him throw in a huge backcracker.

But I got along at Novice, and then when I moved up and he got a little fitter the Kieffer was sitting too much on his withers, so I asked my trainer for recommendations in the fits a high withered, big shouldered TB, and costs under $1k used category. She recommended the Roxane, the Ainsley (I'd ridden in my boss's and didn't like it) and the Jeffries Flyover. I already had an old Stubben dressage saddle, which fits the horse great and which I love. On the way home I stopped at Bit of Britain and sat in a Roxane and liked it, and then there was one on ebay in my size and his width and the right price, so I bought it.

And it's made SUCH a difference. I always thought the problems I had with the Kieffer were because I was fat and unfit, and that there was nothing an AP saddle could do for me that getting my act together couldn't, but by last summer I was pretty fit--running 25+ miles a week and riding 5-6 horses most days, and I was still struggling. But I also have very short legs and a very athletic horse who does this:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...61&po=61&pc=86 and this: http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...54&po=54&pc=86 to me.

So if your saddle works for you now, great. It might work for you if/ when you become an ULR, or it might not. I wouldn't worry about it in the meantime, though.

Highflyer, which model of the Roxanne do you have? I'm thinking there are several models for some reason...thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Never ridden in a pessoa event, but I think it would depend how the saddle feels when you get up to that level. From looking at it, I wouldnt think the flaps arent forward enough to really shorten your stirrups enough for the bigger fences, but Im super long from hip to knee. My past trainer (rides advanced) goes xc in a devoucoux and my current trainer ( rides prelim and planning to move up soon) rides in a prestige event. Both are the very forward models and really built for xc.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I guess the only way you are going to really know is from how it feels to jump in it when the fences are bigger and the gallops are faster...

You dont need a monoflap covered in giant blocks to do the upper levels. Lots of riders ride in double flap, more traditional jumper looking saddles. It just depends on what you like.

I used to ride in my Ainsley (which I LOVED), but when I retired my horse a few months ago, I decided to put it on the market. I currently ride in my trainer's Devoucoux Chiberta, which is absolutely fantastic, even though it doesn't fit me perfectly.

I'm riding at Intermediate with my Pessoa A/O - I really like the saddle overall. I do find that I pinch with my knee in it more than I do in other saddles, but I think that's a combination of bad habit and having a long thigh (and riding with short stirrups), so the flap isn't quite forward enough for me, rather than a problem with the saddle design in general. If I had unlimited funds, I might look for something more specifically designed for x-c at this level, but I wouldn't say it's strictly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo19 View Post
    I have a Pessoa AMO.

I'll start by saying that while I realize this not an "event" saddle, I absolutely adore it for jumping.

So, a few things:

Do you think that to be an upper level event rider, at some point it's going to harm me to have such a minimalistic saddle? It's close contact... no deep seat, big knee rolls, etc. I'd be curious to see what kind of saddles some of the big time riders go XC in.

And what kind of saddles do you all have? Please share!
    I rode for 10 seasons at prelim/intermediate and CCI's in the precursor to the Prestige Nona Garson, called the C'doro. Very minimalistic and flat a true jumper saddle. It did the trick. I did have some trouble kicking my leg forward down the larger drops, but that might be because i am short. I now have a devoucoux chiberta and it definitely makes a difference for me going down the drops and adjusting from gallop position to jumping.

CWD SE09. love it, its made all the difference in my lower leg and it being monoflap helped get rid of my knee pinching!! I've only ridding in a close contact once and found that its made my hip be angled forward at all time and could not sit up or in the saddle with it so I just didn't look at any more. I had an all purpose I grew out of that I liked and a double flapped specific xc saddle that i liked but the way the blocks were i started swinging my leg to find them and then pinched my knee to keep it still.

I don't think what type of saddle you ride in as long as you can ride well in it.

RunForIt, I have the Roxane S, which is the non-deluxe jumping one, I think.

I rode in a Collegiate close contact saddle until after Training level - found a very nice Ovation Four Star eventing saddle on sale at VTO Saddlery two years ago and it's held up very well, very pleased with it and XC took it for a spin and liked it, too and she's PICKY!
    Oh I've sat in way more expensive ones and loved them but that was what I could afford that fit me and the Loser Herd.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ainsley pro national. Fits mare and fits my long femurs.

I also have an Ovation 4 star event. Love it! I'm tiny, but long from hip to knee so I need a very forward flap and a small seat size, even though I'm not doing upper level stuff (yet). Only had it a couple months, but so far it still looks almost new and is breaking in nicely. Found it on sale from Dovers.

Thornhill Le Monde! I LOVE IT!

I just bought a Barnsby Diablo. SOOOO excited about it!
    Team Awesome fo sho!

An Antares close contact. Actually it's Antares on top, CWD on the bottom--sort of a refurbished hybrid.

My trainer rides in the exact same saddle, at the CCI*** level, FWIW. Doesn't impair her one bit.
    Click here before you buy.

I learned to ride in a Crosby Prix de Nations (I got it as a kid in the low '80s) and evented at Novice in it. Later I had a Steubban which I got used for peanuts--it had a deep seat and a significant knee roll and I did a little BN and N in that one on the far side of college in the late '90s.

The Steubban did not fit my new mare in 2001, so I got a Berney Brothers Dublin Jumper. Man I love that saddle. I've gone BN through T and used it on several different horses with good fit and comfort for both of us.