The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Problem: Hind legs stocked up consistantly

I recently posted on here ( see thread " UPDATE: My new purchase may have major feet issues").... Seems as though I have a new problem...

I had this horse for a month SOUND then...

Recently pulled my TB's hind shoes, then realizing he was very uncomfortable I put the hind shoes back on and he seemed better and sound. But for over a week his hind legs have been stocked quite a bit... he looked better Friday so I hopped on him and he was noticablely lame on both hind legs. Could he still be so sore from having his shoes pulled and THEN having the shoes put back on?

I have thoughts that maybe he has absesses brewing in both hind feet from having his shoes pulled??

Im starting to get a little worried that this may be something more serious...

Has anyone ever had a horse stock up from having shoes pulled?

My farrier said he may just have been so uncomfortable without the shoes, he still may be sore...

If he isnt looking any better by Thursday Im going to get the vet out.

Any thoughts?

Any fever, lack of appetite, not seeming totally normal? Anaplasmosis causes lower leg edema - some horses only get it in the hinds. My horse was lame on her hind legs off and on for months.

I responded to your other thread, regarding shoes, so I think I know what's transpired with this horse lately. At this point, I would definitely call the vet. It's gotten hot here in Maryland and my mare has started stocking up, too, but in your case it could clearly be more than just a little stocking up. Abcesses in both feet does not sound plausible to me, personally. You have a hind end lameness now which you "think" was due to pulling shoes, but don't know for sure. Putting shoes back on has not solved the problem (may not in a short time, I don't have any experience in this.)

It just sounds like a complicated situation that needs a serious, thorough vet evaluation to me . . .

Have you tried hoof testers on him? If his feet are sore, I would get the farrier out, first to figure out his feet. He could just be stocked up from not wanting to move, because his feet hurt. If he isn't reactive to the hoof testers - with a farrier using them - then I would call the vet out. However, if it were my horse, I would probably put him in a smallish pasture, cold hose him daily, and put him on a Bute regimen for a week. If he showed no improvement, or got worse, then I would call the vet.

Some TB's just have crummy feet, and take a while to get used to being barefoot. If you want to try letting him go barefoot again, I'd purchase a set of good quality hoof boots for him first.

I haven't read your other thread, so so I guess I'll do that before commenting further.

Late afternoon yesterday he was still stocked up... not AS bad... just around the ankle... before it was everything below the hock...

I cold hosed both hinds for 15 minutes... let him dry,.. then rubbed full strength Vetrolin to his ankles and let him free graze so he would be moving around a great deal....I noticed him trotting and cantering about so obviously he feels better... and the swelling went waayyyy down but still not 100% gone..

So I hopped on him to walk him and keep moving, and he felt GREAT... picked up a trot to see how he felt and he felt sooo much better but is dragging his hind right toe a little???!?!?! No head bob... not a limp.. just letting the toe drag.... kind of weird... any ideas on what this could mean??

Anywho,...the swelling went down 100% and his legs looked NORMAL for the first time in two weeks, gave him a bath... cold hosed his legs again, let him dry then wrapped him with mineral ice gel overnight and his legs still look good this morning....

So any thoughts as to why he would drag his right hind toe???

I'm asking a question that may seem unrelated, but really it IS related...what color is your horse, and do the legs have socks or stockings?
    What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

He is a bay with no leg markings.

Ahh...well, than my suggestion is moot, a bay with no markings does not typically get that funky summer swelling. Any change this week? So sorry for your troubles with this, it's frustrating!

Okay, a couple of questions first:

One, when you say 'stocked up', do you mean swelling after standing for a long period or ongoing swelling even after turn-out/exercise?

Second, is there any heat associated with the swelling on either leg?

Third, have you checked closely for rain rot, small cuts or any other abnormalities?

Finally, how far up the leg does the swelling go? Does exercise/turnout have any effect on the amount of swelling and did the swelling only start after the shoes were pulled off?
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Default I'd like to join this party, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post
    I'm asking a question that may seem unrelated, but really it IS related...what color is your horse, and do the legs have socks or stockings?
    ^^ Question Mach, I have a palomino with socks on his hind legs. He is midly stocked up (hind legs only) and it's worse on the right than the left. The right has a little heat, on the inside but he's not lame. He has no temp and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. His stools were a little loose this morning, but his appetite is normal. (His poops were fine this afternoon) I took him for a short trail ride (walking in the woods for a half hour) as it's hot as blazes here and we're supposed to get storms. The swelling did go down a bit.
    I'm wondering if he didn't bump into a plant or what? What's the deal with the horse's color?
    I've owned him 4 years and this is the first time he's stocked up. EVER. Even after a day of hunting followed by a night's rest in a stall he had never stocked up before. We are at a new barn, so I'm thinking it's environmental???
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterandeq75 View Post
    I recently posted on here ( see thread " UPDATE: My new purchase may have major feet issues").... Seems as though I have a new problem...

I had this horse for a month SOUND then...

Recently pulled my TB's hind shoes, then realizing he was very uncomfortable I put the hind shoes back on and he seemed better and sound. But for over a week his hind legs have been stocked quite a bit... he looked better Friday so I hopped on him and he was noticablely lame on both hind legs. Could he still be so sore from having his shoes pulled and THEN having the shoes put back on?

I have thoughts that maybe he has absesses brewing in both hind feet from having his shoes pulled??

Im starting to get a little worried that this may be something more serious...

Has anyone ever had a horse stock up from having shoes pulled?

My farrier said he may just have been so uncomfortable without the shoes, he still may be sore...

If he isnt looking any better by Thursday Im going to get the vet out.

Any thoughts?

Sure he could still be sore. Did your farrier hoof test him. He may very well have some heel pain or bruising down there. I have one who I posted about on this site not too long ago...he went from dead lame last Sunday to 100 percent sound today. Farrier came out and said we still were dealing with heel pain. If you can get your hands on Magic Cushion...go get some. (A helpful hint that the tackstore owner told me...keep it in the refrigerator, it's easier to work)...take a glove, squish it into your horse's feet and then wrap in vet wrap or put a hoof boot on it....let the horse's feet soak in the MC. Farrier says it's okay to use for four days straight..then he recommends giving it a break because it is strong enough to eat the horse's frog.

It did an amazing job on my guys poor, sore heels. A horse can certainly swell, stock up, etc...due to hoof pain....it's inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    If you can get your hands on Magic Cushion...go get some.
    Also pick up some disposable gloves and lots of rubbing alcohol to get the Magic Cushion off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer, CF, RJF View Post
    Also pick up some disposable gloves and lots of rubbing alcohol to get the Magic Cushion off your hands.
    Ah yes, I meant to include that little bit of important info.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Ah yes, I meant to include that little bit of important info.
    It's sorta' fresh in my mind since I forgot to put the new bottles of rubbing alcohol I bought on my rig - wouldn't ya know I put magic cushion under some leather pads today.

Windshield washer fluid followed by lots of soap and water helped a little - hands not stuck to steering wheel on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoppingHaffy View Post
    ^^ Question Mach, I have a palomino with socks on his hind legs. He is midly stocked up (hind legs only) and it's worse on the right than the left. The right has a little heat, on the inside but he's not lame. He has no temp and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. His stools were a little loose this morning, but his appetite is normal. (His poops were fine this afternoon) I took him for a short trail ride (walking in the woods for a half hour) as it's hot as blazes here and we're supposed to get storms. The swelling did go down a bit.
    I'm wondering if he didn't bump into a plant or what? What's the deal with the horse's color?
    I've owned him 4 years and this is the first time he's stocked up. EVER. Even after a day of hunting followed by a night's rest in a stall he had never stocked up before. We are at a new barn, so I'm thinking it's environmental???
    Weird.
    To answer your question (and great details) light colored horses, especially chestnuts and some palominos, with stockings, tend to get a (spelling gurus...I hope I'm getting the spelling here) photosynthisation...the sun hits that white, that sets up a cycle of swelling when standing, swelling when it's exposed to sun. I remember a mare I showed in college needing to have her hind socks wrapped in the summer months, when the sun came in through her somewhat open stall. We'd leave her wrapped til we just had to take them off to show her, and then wrap her up again, or she'd fill up when it was warm, or very sunny. Wintertime, no swelling. They will get a little heat. Certainly, your horse could have brushed against something and is showing an allergic reaction...that white skin on light colored horses is more sensitive. Greys do not tend to have the same problem, as they usually have dark skin. My chestnut TB always needed a bit of extra care though he did not swell so much, but he was in days, out at night when he was competing.