The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lame Right After Being Shod

My horse was shod yesterday afternoon by my farrier who I have been using for 4 years. The horse was a little sore prior to being shod on RF due to losing the shoe the day before. That is normal for this horse if he goes without a front shoe for a little bit.

As soon as the farrier was finished, it was obvious the horse was VERY sore. Jogged lame on LF, then looked off on RF. Farrier even removed the LF shoe and check his hoof/sole then put the shoe on. He was hoping it was a nail but didn't feel it was. He couldn't determine a reason why the horse was lame. We thought maybe it was due to horse being without the LF shoe for a day.

Horse was very sore earlier today. This evening I lunged him and he's much better but I can tell he's still sore. I don't have pictures of his feet but am thinking the farrier trimmed him short. Would the horse be feeling that much better in 24 hours if he was trimmed too short? The horse has leather pads on his fronts.

My trainer's farrier (who is a different farrier) has offered to come take a look at the horse tomorrow. I keep my horse at home, not at my trainers. Am I wrong to have another farrier look at him?

Usually a horse that has shoes will not be sore from being trimmed too short unless it is super super short.

I am confused though which shoe did he lose prior to getting new shoes? RF or LF? In the beginning it sounded like RF, then he ended up being lame on LF?

Did he use any hoof testers? At first it sounded like a hot nail, but it should have resolved after having it removed. I think you are fine to have another set of eyes look at the feet though, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    I am confused though which shoe did he lose prior to getting new shoes? RF or LF? In the beginning it sounded like RF, then he ended up being lame on LF?

Did he use any hoof testers? At first it sounded like a hot nail, but it should have resolved after having it removed. I think you are fine to have another set of eyes look at the feet though, good luck!
    He had lost his right front shoe.

After being shod, he appeared sore walking on his left front. I jogged him for the farrier and my BF and he was lame on the left front. He used hoof testers and he was sensitive in toe and sole on bottom.

Then we jogged the horse again and he was lame on right front.

To me the horse seems sore on both front feet. The question is why! My farrier didn't have an answer.

Could be he over-used the left to save the painful right with no shoe. Lamed himself.

With showing marked improvement in 24 hours, I would give him another day or so, see how much more improvement he has before having the other farrier come out.

You might also expect to see him stay a bit lame on the right, since he started more lame on it with shoe off. Could take a little longer to heal.

It is HARD to find lameness point when both fronts are sore.

I would treat him as potentially lamanitic until he proves himself recovered. There could have been a reason he lost the shoe - weighting himself differently because there was a process beginning; or, he could have started some process when he lost the shoe, affecting either foot.

Just check for the heat and pulse and keep him bedded softly and be sure to have a vet out right away.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Did he also check the right front shoe for a hot nail?

My trainer's farrier came this afternoon. He said that one of the nails my farrier put in and then pulled out on his left front was probably a close nail. Horse was sensitive on/around that nail hole. Farrier beveled the pad down on that shoe to relieve the pressure. He shot some numbing medicine (like what a dentist would use) in the nail hole and then put the shoe back on.

On the right front the horse was sore on inside of hoof. The farrier beveled out that part of the pad to relieve the pressure and put the shoe back on.

He put some packing under both shoes where he was sore and wrapped his feet. He said the packing will help draw the soreness out.
    So, we will see.

dwblover - no my farrier did not check the right front for any hot nails.

My horse had almost the exact same thing happen this week. He had slightly loose shoes for a few days while we were waiting for the farrier. His hooves have been growing like crazy and he's been stomping a lot so 5 weeks was apparently too long between shoeings. I duct taped the shoes to his hooves to make sure they stayed on, and he was totally sound and happy during those days, so I assume that this lameness is not a product of a few days of duct tape.

The farrier did him on Wednesday and he felt just a little short at the trot so I didn't do much with him figuring he was a little footsore or something. Yesterday he was off at the walk. More off on the left front, but ouchy on both front feet. There is no heat in either of his feet.

Farrier will be back out today to figure out what the deal is. Hopefully it is an easy fix.