The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default quality paddock boots?

I have finally worn out my Ariat Performer Pro Cobalt -zip up - bfd - wont buy them again - water proof - whatever the heck they're called paddock boots. Super disappointed in them.

Now I am on the search for a good pair of boots that AREN'T MADE IN CHINA.

Suggestions please?

I bought a pair of custom Kroops a few months ago and can't say enough good things about them!
    Yes, they were a bit pricey, but not nearly as replacing a pair of Ariats every 6 months. The owner, Randee, came to the store to measure me on her day off and had them back to me in 4 weeks. Needless to say, I am in love with my boots Probably will get a pair of custom field boots from her with next year's tax refund...
    I plan on my boots lasting a long time; heck, there was a pair of 27 year old boots that she was re-soling when I picked up my boots. And she also makes them for a certain race trainer who won a gold medal...

I'm in the exact same boat and would love some suggestions too.
    Last edited by EAY; Jun. 20, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

I have a pair of zip treadsteps that are nice enough- I am hard on boots and they are holding up well. I've also heard good things about Grand Prix. With all the issues Ariat boots have I don't think I will be getting another pair of them, which is too bad because their old boots would last FOREVER!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I love my Grand Prix Aquasports. They are comfortable, waterproof, and hold up well to daily use.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I love my Grand Prix Aquasports. They are comfortable, waterproof, and hold up well to daily use.
    Agreed. Though the quality of the Grand Prix paddock boots has gone down a little over the years, they are still a high quality boot. Comfortable and hold up quite well. They also come in zip up or lace up, which is important to me because I need the ankle support of a lace up boot.

Do the "good" paddock boots also come in small adult sizes/kid sizes? I take a size 5 shoe ... Ariat paddock kids size 2

My Hadfield's paddock boots are 8 years old and still going strong. I ride often and am hard on them; they're no longer beautiful but I think their longevity is pretty amazing!

I have the Grand Prix Aquasport zip ups too. I quite like the quality, but my only complaint is that they rub my bony ankles raw if I wear them with a spur or if I have an extra long lesson.

The Treadstone paddocks are realllly nice for the price.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Grand Prix. Fer shure.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Love my Kroops, and I love my Hadfields. I think the only other brand I would try is mayber Dehners? But I suspect it will have to wait a few years since both Kroops and Hadfields are still going strong but I've become fairly good about putting them on for the ride and only the ride... still, the Kroops took a few years and several resolings worth of abuse under the old method of "wear 'em all day, cleaning stalls, riding, bathing, whatevs.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I love my dehner's. It's all I wear. I've had this last pair for about 4 years or more now. I couldn't find them in NJ for some reason and ordered them through Judy's tack shop in Tennessee. Love love love my Dehner's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    These are my favorites too.

My last pair of GP Aquasports - I abused. Never cleaned, mud, washrack.... Lasted about 2 1/2 years of pretty much daily abuse before the toe cap stitching died and the leather was cracking.

My new pair I am babying- riding only. I wear mud boots for the pasture and washrack.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I have a pair of zip treadsteps that are nice enough- I am hard on boots and they are holding up well.
    Does anyone know how the sizing runs for Tredsteps? Also, why is it so hard to find their paddock boots?

I have had 2 pairs of Kroops and each lasted about 5 years, and I WAS NOT kind to them. I did have to have them resoled a couple of times, but that was inexpensive to do at the local cobbler. I have also heard good things about the Grand Prix boots.

Ariats usually only last me about a year, maybe longer now that I ride less and don't work at barns on the weekend, so don't do stalls any more. The Kroops are really beautiful IMO, and polish up well even with some moderate to hard use.

ecenur Guest

Paddock boots! I've had them, I hated them they were horrible but yet I still went back and bought them again a second time because I didn't know what other boots to buy after the first ones started to smell because it wasn't waterproof at all, I really don't care what type of boots they are as long as their water proof and provide some sort of ankle support.

Here's a second vote for Dehner's. Current pair are over 6 years old. I refuse to purchase anything else.

Blunnies.

They have a sleeker-looking model now too.

I am loving my Blundstones. To be fair I've only had them two months, but everything I've read or heard about them says they last forever! They're incredibly comfy so far and since they don't zip (they pull on) I don't anticipate any broken zippers, which will be a nice change from Ariat