The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Seriously, stealing wheelbarrows??"

This post is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I am actually curious...

Is it common for WHEELBARROWS to get stolen at shows? I have heard of tack and show clothes and even tails over the years, but wheelbarrows?? I guess I see the appeal... a good wheelbarrow is priceless - or, well, at least around $70 in these parts - and highly useful. I made the mistake of bringing my favourite wheelbarrow to Devon (I have 3) the first week. I also made the mistake of not having a giant GF spraypainted on its side - a lesson I have learned the hard way. I also made the mistake of leaving it outside the stall overnight in a happy little row with other wheelbarrows on the side of our stall. The worst part is, the first morning I rolled in and it was missing and I was heartbroken... until a groom from down the aisle came sauntering over with it apologizing for not having it back before I had arrived. No problem, any time. Then I laughed at myself for thinking someone stole my wheelbarrow, of all things! Next morning, I roll in... wheelbarrow is missing again. So are the other ones. So is the whole barn behind us and almost everyone else who had been there for junior weekend (we were there for A/A jumpers, Sun/Mon). I look down the aisle, groom does not have it this morning, he's just hanging out... I look everywhere... nowhere. I kept hoping it would show up, but it didn't. I was sad.

In the end, I tried to hope someone had accidentally packed it up not knowing it wasn't theirs since there was no obvious markings on it, but come on now, it was right UNDER our farm sign with our hay and pitchfork, etc. So now it's just a joke between me and my girls where we often just randomly say, "Seriously, stealing wheelbarrows?!?!" and laugh, but it does leave me curious as to if this has ever happened to anyone else. Needless to say, I brought my least favourite, spray painted wheelbarrow the second weekend and kept it locked in the tack stall!

PS - I now have large, obnoxious, silver GFs on both sides of all my wheelbarrows although I have yet to find the exact same one I lost...
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

That stinks! Always bothers me when people steal LARGE items (not that small thefts are any less wrong!). Like, come on people.

I worry about my stuff at shows....so take it all back to the trailer each day.

Reminds me when I was a teen at a sheep show and we were packing up stuff...went to grab our trimming stand but it wasn't there. Was in a pile with someone else's things ready to load.

Mom and dad confronted the person and they actually said "my towel is on it, so its mine" and argued!! We got it back obviously, but it was a running joke forever about how we could take anything cuz "our towel is on it".......people

Wheelbarrows go missing like almost nothing else. All the time. Probably because unless it is marked really conspicuously it's hard to tell one from another, and people tend to leave them set away from the rest of their equipment. But they will walk no matter what you do, and often. Also, hoses, ladders, and fly spray are almost unretainable.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Also, hoses, ladders, and fly spray are almost unretainable.
    I read this as "horses" the first time and was like But then I realized it said hoses. Phew! I was afraid of horse stealers at shows...
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Hey Kacey!
    We also had a wheel barrel stolen at Devon a few years ago. Only, ours had Windy Willow actually written on it. It was my favorite, so I guess someone else admired it too.

I came into the barn one morning and all our leather lead ropes that had been tied around the stall doors were gone. Nice. Also found someones wallet behind our tack trunks once when we were packing up. It took me almost an hour to convince the show that I didn't know how it had gotten there (got stolen the first week of hits, we hadn't gotten there until the 2nd!)

We host horse shows on our grounds and oddly enough, it was the trash cans thay kept disappearing.

Paint and add "Thy shall not steal" on the WB.

Who knows, perhaps they will think a bit before taking...

Perhaps there is a serial wheelbarrow stealer at Devon. First WW then GSKC...
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Grr we had just bought 2 brand new stall picking rakes at the feed store down the road from a horse show. We put the barn initials on each rake and also in sharpy on the handle. Next day both LIME green rakes (the scooper plastic bit) GONE and ONE rake with 2 broken teeth in their place. I HAD had it :-) I went for a walk and found one of the rakes at a very fancy barn with black electrical tape rolled around a section of it on handle. ASKED the groom holding it for it (in spanish) and took the tape off and there was our barn name, the tag from store still on it from feed store and the initials on plastic part had been scribbled over.. Never found the second one and told the groom if his Patron or Patrona had a problem with me taking "his" rake to come find me!

I HATE people that steal
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart