The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding near Burke, Virginia?

Hi,
    I have a friend that is trying to find a nice barn that wouldn't be a long drive from Burke, VA. He is looking for a nice barn that offers full board, gives good care, and has a reputable trainer available for his young horse. My farm is out near Warrenton and I don't offer boarding since it's my home and unfortunately I am not familiar with the boarding barns closer in to the DC area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. I hope everyone is staying in and staying cool this afternoon. And for those that in cool areas-I'm so envious especially if you are near the ocean.

Unfortunately, Burke is in the middle of a very built-up area, so "not a long drive" is going to be a very relative thing. There is (or at least was when I left the area 3 years ago) a co-op barn nearby in Fairfax, but he would have to rotate chores with other boarders.

He is not far from Clifton; contacting the Clifton Horse Society might be one way he could locate some private or small-scale commercial barns in that area. These are usually not advertised; open stalls are filled quickly by word-of-mouth.

Centreville is probably the next-closest area. There were still a couple of boarding barns open when I left the area. Bull Run Equestrian Center is one I recall, and I believe there was another fairly sizeable boarding stable in that area.

There are still some farms in the Aldie area, which would be anywhere from a 30-minute to an hour-long drive, depending on time of day/construction/traffic/etc. But those are folding fast, it appears. Manassas/Nokesville and/or further out into the Loudon area are probably going to be his best bets.

If he works in DC, he might consider looking in MD for a barn that is a reasonable (again, still probably in the 45-minute to 1-hour range) commute from his office.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Smile More ways to look

Check with the equine vets in the area around Burke. Deepwood has a vet that one of my friends thinks highly of. also there is a holistic/ osteopathy vet in Clifton who is very knowledgeable, especially in dressage. The CDCTA would be another group to ask.

You didn't say what variety of riding your friend is interested in.

What's your friend's discipline?

Dressage: there's a show this Thursday and Friday at Morven Park and people will be there from all over VA/MD, etc. Also contact VADA/NoVA (they're the ones that are putting on the show.) Lori Kaminski will be there ... and you couldn't ask for a nicer or more helpful person. She could probably direct you to someone there at the show that could help as VADA has chapters all over the state. Their newsletters always have lots of boarding ads.

PM Fairview Horse Center. If ANYONE knows what's going on, it's FHC!!! She's one of the most wonderful people in NoVa, IMHO.

If it's Eventing, contact DVCTA. Emmett Turner is another one who gets around. He might be able to help ...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Look in the Clifton and Fairfax Station areas. There's a great little tack store in Clifton, Clifton Saddlery, that usually has a lot of information about what's available.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

craigslist frequently has ads from the private barns in the Clifton/Burke/Fairfax Station area under farm and garden.

Horse Boarding - $275 (FFx.Pwky./Lee Hwy.)

Date: 2010-06-14, 5:15PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-c394y-1791880157@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Horse stalls for rent.Clean,Nice tack room with Break room, Plenty of well water(nice and cold). Grooming area with water, Saddle fresh daisy's CALL Bob (703)891-1047 or c#(786)201-2572 1000sq. Center Isle with loft.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1791880157
    There are lots of private barns in the area, you just have to check frequently so see what's available. I'm pretty sure Oliver's Stables had an ad there a couple of weeks ago.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

It really depends on what you're looking for. A lot of the farms in that area are private farms that do not have in house trainers or staff. There is full care board available in the area, but also a lot of co-ops and self-care type places. Clifton Saddlery usually keeps a list of barns that have a stall available, but most are small.

Our solution has been to keep our horses at our small private farm (we do not offer boarding) and to haul to an excellent trainer a bit further out.

Alternatively, there are many EXCELLENT full care boarding options with great trainers in the direction of Aldie, Marshall, Middleburg, and Leesburg - but you'll need to be prepared to sit in a bit of traffic.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Horse Boarding - $275 (FFx.Pwky./Lee Hwy.)

Date: 2010-06-14, 5:15PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-c394y-1791880157@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Horse stalls for rent.Clean,Nice tack room with Break room, Plenty of well water(nice and cold). Grooming area with water, Saddle fresh daisy's CALL Bob (703)891-1047 or c#(786)201-2572 1000sq. Center Isle with loft.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Ummmm....I called this place a couple of months ago. Let's just say that what he told me over the phone was enough to save me the trip out there to look at the place. Scary.

Although, amazingly, he's reduced his fee considerably!! $275 for a stall (is that meant to be self or full care)? I still have my notes. Initially, he was asking for $750 a month *including shoes and vet* (no clue how he planned to work THAT!!! ). He said something about having been an assistant farrier or assisting a farrier, so I suppose he planned to do feet himself if you pay the additional monthly cost. Okay, $200 a month for farrier is a great deal for him, BUT, how would he include vet costs? Only routine shots? Other vet care?

He wanted $550 for just board, no farrier or vet, which is very high for what he was offering -- essentially self-care or field board. When I asked about full-board, what he described was a very slip-shod, catch-as-catch-can way of various people *helping out*, presumably other boarders for feeding and turn-out. He did say he will feed in the morning. Five stalls (another planned), and 5 acres.

I'd stay well away from this one.

EBW, I know you weren't actually *recommending* this place, but since you included his ad, I wanted to make sure that the guy hasn't changed his tune enough to make it *sound* more appealing to prospective boarders (only to have the reality show up AFTER you've moved your horse there!). That was the impression I got from him.

WAIT. I just re-read that ad. What the hell does **Grooming area with water, Saddle fresh daisy's** mean??? Oh, and I'm willing to BET that there's no center *ISLAND* there at all! He means *AIsle*.

Another ad for a place out our way that has shown up several times over the past 6 months with a photo of the barn, mentioning grass paddocks, water, electric, etc for self care. When I first noticed it advertised, the text included allowing the landowner's teen age kids to ride.

That part dropped off a while back.

I included the ad above because it happens to be the only one current on CL. I do see ads for our area frequently, though.

As Trixie mentioned, not many in the area have an on site instructor. I think Barranda Ridge has a local eventer come in to give lessons but I may be wrong.

A lot of the community style barns around used to get together to have instructors in. I am out of the pony club loop so am not familiar with the situation now. We haul out and are quite happy doing so, but we're fortunate to have found a couple of excellent teachers willing to work us in.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Aw, gee, Thanks OM.

My young horse trainer's barn is in Centreville, but she rarely has an opening. She is an eventer, so can help with Dressage, stadium/show jumping as well as young horse training.

She also does some teaching and training at my barn. We also have a German dressage trainer teaching here, and a couple of Hunter trainers that have sometimes come in to teach.

I am in Haymarker, about 35-40 minutes from Fx Station/Burke, so that may be a bit far. I believe I will have one stall available. We are a pretty easy going, multi-discipline barn, so not for a person really looking foir a training/show type barn.