The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 5" peacock irons-- do they exist??

I just started riding again after an 8yr break, and had to buy new paddock boots, which are apparently significantly wider than my old ones.

My current irons are 4 3/4" peacocks, so I'll need 5's now. Google has found me ONE pair on Ebay, made by Weaver, but that's all. Must stay w/ some sort of safety iron, since I have a disability that can preclude my ability to drop my stirrups quickly in the event of a fall.

Am I asking for the impossible here? I have to believe they're out there somewhere to be had. Help from the COTH mojo would be wonderful!
    Last edited by KLS; Jun. 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

If you're open to different types of safety stirrups, there seems to be lots of options. Try searching for 'safety stirrup' instead of peacock.
    I'd rather be riding!

Yup, they are out there. Bought a pair for hubby when he thought he wanted to dabble in the english world. Picked them up at a larger tack store. Easy enough for your local tack store to order as well.

Good to know that they can be had. Still looking, and I'll consider the other kinds of safety stirrups as well. Thanks for your help!

I have a pair you can have for the shipping. They need new elastic, of course, and could probably use new leather tab thingies. They've been kicking around my tack room for years, I don't even remember how I acquired them. PM me.
    Last edited by shakeytails; Jun. 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Default Safety Stirrups - Trying to Help

What is the ultimate goal of a safety stirrup? NOT to get you hung up and drug in an accident or fall.

The Peacock Stirrup has the same tendency as all standard stirrups and that is to fold back against the horse's side when your foot pressure is released. It is this 'closing door' effect that grabs the falling rider's foot and begins the dangerous event of being drug. As your foot leaves the stirrup in a fall, the opening of the stirrup gets smaller and smaller as it turns back to the horse and that is what catches your foot. Before the Peacock Stirrup works, you have to 1) be caught in the iron and then 2) you have to be drug down the arena and then 3) your body weight might release the rubber band allowing you to be released. Wouldn't it be better to not be caught and drug in the first place!

The only stirrups that decrease this 'closing door tendency are stirrups that stay open by design. Those stirrups will 'tend' to remain open in a fall and not turn back towards the horse. The stirrups that have minor 4 way or 6 way release at the base are still going to turn back to the horse; that is marketing.

To not get caught in the first place try models that stay forward such as Icelandic stirrups, Sprenger 90 degree stirrups and MDC stirrups.

It is a fallacy that Peacock Stirrups are the ultimate in safety.

Especially since you can not easily release your feet from your stirrups, an open designed stirrup is your best choice.

You may spend more, but what is the price of safety?

Good luck.
    Last edited by SIC; Jun. 24, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the suggestions, SIC, I really appreciate them, However, jointed stirrups like Sprenger and MDC physically make riding harder for me, because the "give" in them actually causes my spasticity to worsen as I try to keep my heels down, which would actually increase my chances of being injured in a fall.

Welcome to the boards, SIC!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback-- I do have leads on some 5" peacocks, and I also have a pair of Foot-Free or whatever they're called with the bulge in the outside branch that I'll let my instructor decide on. Also looking into the quick-release Mountain Horse ($$, and they only appear to come up to 4 3/4"). Kwik-Outs honestly scare me a bit; I recall when they first came out that some people where actually getting stuck in the "pin" mechanism that holds the breakaway arm. Maybe that's an unfounded reluctance now?

Horse Journal did a test on safety stirrups a number of years ago. First place went to the Sprenger 4-ways (they were the only one on the block at the time), then the ones with a bulge on both the inside and outside, then the Foot Free (the bulge on the outside) and then Peacocks. I don't remember why the peacocks finished where they did.

In pursuit of reasonable seat on a spooky horse, I have come out of my Sprengers literally dozens of times, and never had a problem with being caught in the stirrup. Also used the Foot Free before the Sprenger and had no problem with those either. The thing about the Sprengers is it eliminates the pain in my hips and knees.

Default Safety Stirrups

KLS,

The MDC's come in both a hinged and a non hinged model. You would obviously want the non hinged model.

I have been in the industry for 47 years. Please take a moment and rethink the logic I have presented. My interest is in keeping you safe and limiting your risk.

Again, good luck.

SIC, that makes sense. Will take a look at the nonjointed MDC's as well, though I'm not certain they'd be considered "safety stirrups" per se for USEF Para-Equestrian, to which I aspire to return. Closest definition of allowable that I can find at present is here: http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf (stirrups on PDF pg 7).

I could probably get a Dispensation card for whatever I find works best. *Sigh* I haven't shopped for irons in forever; the local tack shop is going to see an awful lot of me here shortly. (I wonder if you can take irons on trial, or if it's more a purchase/return type of thing?)

Default Trial Ride OK

All MDC Stirrups have a trial ride and guarantee if you don't like them, you can return them.

I didn't know you were working toward the USEF Para-Equestrian competitions. I know of other riders who are currently using these stirrups in those competitions.

Best regards.