The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding in DFW area, TX - dressage, eventing?

I may be moving down to TX from MN and will need boarding for my 2 horses.

Horse #1 is my Friesian/Mustang mare that doesn't care for the heat. I'm not sure if a well-shaded pasture would be enough for her or if she'd need a stall with a fan during the day, so I'd like that option to remain open for now. She is in full work and is ridden 5-6 days per week.

Horse #2 is my mostly retired 25 year old gelding, whose only requirements are lots of hay and grain 2x/day.

I currently ride with a great BHS certified trainer who uses dressage as a base for all of her horses. She also does quite a bit of jumping (hunters and jumpers) and has an eventing background. I'd like to find a trainer to continue our dressage work, but who also has jumping experience, as eventually I'd like to jump.

I try to ride OUT as much as possible, so trails or open areas nearby to keep this up is ideal. I have no idea how common indoor arenas are down there, but due to the heat I'd like to find a place with an indoor or covered arena with lights so I can ride really early or later. I don't currently show but would like to try it out at some point. I cannot afford full training for my mare, but intend to keep up with lessons as often as I am able. I'm not looking for something super casual but also not looking for a high end show barn either!

I'd be moving to Lewisville and prefer as close as possible, obviously, but would like to keep the drive under 45 minutes!

You might try running a search in both the Eventing and Dressage forums. I know in the H/J forum, this topic comes up on a regular basis with quite varying opinions! Good luck with your search.