The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you feed straight oats? What kind of mineral/supplement do you feed with it?

My mare is on straight oats (http://www.equavena.com/english/equavena/index.htm) and very good quality O/A (about 6 flakes per day plus 8 hours of turnout).
    My mare only gets 4 cooking cup of oats per day (2 am and 2 pm). She has been getting Platinum Performance and is doing OK. Weight wise she is fine (that has more to do with the hay though) but coat isn't at it's best. She gets groomed 5 days/week and just had stool sample- she doesn't have any worms and is on a worming schedule... Barn owner has been in charge of how much she gets but I am now in a situation where I can choose what she gets and how much. Maybe she needs a higher dosage (going to check at the barn later if it is being underfed).
    I was considering Equine Saver (but seeing how their prices just went through the roofs) and even started to look into what Smartpak offers. I am looking for something that would make this feeding program complete by providing minerals, omega's, etc. that aren't found in the oats.
    The other thing I ever tried was Equine Challenge and the mare did horrible- had skin problems on it.
    Anyone else feeding this type of program? Have you had luck with any particular product?
    Not so much concerned about costs as this is only for one mare... but rather trying to find the best option possible.
    Thank you for your help!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

My mare used to be on a straight oats diet. Her diet included:

AM:
    2 cups oats
    2 ounces MannaPro Sho-Glo
    10lbs alf/tim hay

PM:
    2 cups oats
    10lbs alf/tim hay

She did well on this diet, however I do prefer ad lib hay but that's a whole nother story.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My mare's diet is similar, but she gets about 50/50 oats and rolled barley. Plus 2-4 oz. of Horsetech stabilized flax, a tablespoon of loose salt and Support Two from Pureform for loose vitamins and minerals. http://www.pureformequinehealth.com/...?PRODUCT_ID=15

Miss Picky Eater really likes this diet and is quite calm.

Probably nothing to worry about given the small amounts, but the only concern with oats is that it has an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio. Given the amount of hay vs. amount of oats I wouldn't see any problem...but for others concerned, Dr. Susan Garlinghouse has excellent info here:
    http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/Cal...osphorus.shtml

Sounds like she may need a little more fat in her diet. I have fed straight oats before and added a little bit of rice bran pellets to it and their coats were great.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Hard to know what's missing unless you know what's in the hay.
    Click here before you buy.

I agree with Deltawave. Have the hay tested. Then there's an open spreadsheet available on an Equine Cushings group on Yahoo. The spreadsheet I'm talking about is for "normal" horses and not those with Cushings.

Anyway, my horses are also on O/A hay and oats. They each get 2 lbs. of oats a day.

The supplement I use is by U.S. Animal of Vermont (Food Science, Corp.). It's called Ultra Elite Pro-Form and it's a multivitamin. It brings out dapples if your horse has the tendency for it!

With my hay and oats, the lysine is a little on the low side depending on how much work they're in. I would just supplement the lysine then. Otherwise everything else is fine.

But get your hay tested first at www.equi-analytical.com. Then get the spreadsheet. If you can't find it, PM me for it. Then plug in the numbers and see what you've got and where you need to supplement.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Are you feeding the full amount of PP?

My stallion was on it when he was boarded, but really needed the full a amount for his size and training (I *think* it was 2 cups 2x/day) to really bloom... and then he REALLY bloomed... hay was timothy.

I use Blue Seal Min-a-Vite for my whole herd, based on hay analysis it is almost perfect. I add flax & BOSS, and Lysine or Tri-Aminos.

But as said, you have to have at least SOME idea about your hay, unless you want to go with a wide spectrum product...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I feed whole oats to both my guys...with Clovite and mineral supplements (very old school).

My guys seem to be doing great on it.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Rolled oats, rice bran, beet pulp and a vitamin supplement designed for PNW horses, along with Eastern Oregon O/A or grass from May to September. Two old/older TBs. The 25 year old is fat and dappled this spring. The 20 year old is just fat...but he doesn't ever dapple. They are both getting everything cut back, due to their, er, um, "blooming" under this diet.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Consider giving her some added fresh "salad" ... fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. All forages - easy to digest for the horse (its what they're designed to eat), she'll get varied nutrients (vitamins/minerals) and the fresh foods will help her system be able to better utilize, digest the whole grain and processed supplement.

I have a herd of 9 equine. They all get nothing but fresh food. Their coats are shiny, hooves are strong, eyes bright and their dispositions are calm and content. I've actually had to cut back on the amounts of 'salads' that I give them as they started to get a bit pudgy. They also get free choice hay (good quality) and what little grass is afforded to them in our new england mud.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Thumbs up

Thank you very much everyone!!!
    Definitely looking into all those options- I also contacted Platinum to find out if it is specifically made to balance out the oats!
    Thanks for all the input... and THANK YOU for the link to getting the hay "tested". That's amazing!

My "Fatlingers" get one soup can in the morning of whole, local oats (co-op brand) with Grand Complete and Quiessense (they are on pasture at night). They both have shiny coats and loads of dapples.

The Grand Complete has everything I needed for 3 supps all in one: Vits, joints, and Omegas/Biotin.

Ages ago, most horses around here trained, raced and thrived on oats and alfalfa, that are a very balanced ration as far as protein, energy and the basic minerals and vitamins.
    The oat's lack of calcium made up by the overaboundance of it in the alfalfa and the lacking phosphorus in alfalfa covered by the amount in the oats.

Many added supplements like Calf Manna, Clovite, 407 or such just to be sure trace minerals were also covered, as some regions are poor in those and so in the produce they raise there.

Now, when your "hay" is other than alfalfa, then you have to know closer what is in that hay, because grasses are not all the same, unlike legumes like alfalfa, that have a more close nutrition profile, other than maybe the protein content, that if anything is too high, no worries about it being too low, like in grass hays.

Default Soft Hijack to Bluey & others ` Clovite ???

Soft hijack --- What do you think of Clovite ~ Bluey ??? I am interested in yours and anyone else's stand on Clovite ~TIA ~ ( I still use Clovite)
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default Platinum

Just thought I'd share this... guess I know where my problems are coming from:
    This is what Platinum support responded:
    Dear Anne,

Thank you for your email. The Platinum Performance Equine definitely works very well when fed with oats. I would, however, recommend feeding it with something more high in Omega-3 fatty acids such as a rice bran or beet pulp. Oats are actually higher in Omega-6 fatty acids which can actually promote inflammation, whereas the Omega-3's that are present in the Platinum Performance, rice bran, and beet pulp help decrease inflammation throughout the body. There is a maintenance level of Calcium and Phosphorous in the Platinum Performance, but this product is not designed to alleviate deficiencies of these minerals. Primarily, your horse should be getting all the Calcium and Phosphorous he needs from his hay source. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I am happy to help.

Just if anyone is looking for these types of answers, might be helpful.

They are blowing smoke, a little bit. There is no convincing evidence that a strong link exists between omega-3/omega-6 ratios and inflammation to the degree that it makes a bit of difference in the real world outside of test tubes.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Soft hijack --- What do you think of Clovite ~ Bluey ??? I am interested in yours and anyone else's stand on Clovite ~TIA ~ ( I still use Clovite)
    Any supplement has to be figured against how a horse is managed, age, nutrition, exercise and stabling.
    The way we trained, fed and kept our horses, the very young, two year olds, were on Calf Manna, then worked into 707 and Clovite was for the already mature ones, best I remember.
    30 years ago was long ago, what we know today and what is in today's formulations may not even be the same.