The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Transitioning to Utah

Hello, I have 3 questions:

1. I'm moving to the Park City/Heber City area, and will be looking for reasonably-priced pasture board for 2 horses. Can anyone recommend good boarding facilities? I do dressage and jumping, but don't mind boarding at a non-training facility. We just sold our home, and will need to be relocating early July!

2. Secondly, what type of hay is fed to horses in this region in order to keep them in good weight throughout winter (my horses are TB and TB/cross, and not easy keepers) I'm moving from TX where we are used to coastal.

3. Lastly, (and at the risk of sounding ignorant) should I be concerned about moving from such a hot/humid climate to a cooler/dry one? Any things I need to be aware of. I've never lived in a region with a lot of snowfall.

Thanks in advance! You're more than welcome to PM me!

Here's a recent thread with lots of good info: http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250778

DH and I moved from Alabama to Utah and stayed for two years with our TBs. They didn't have any trouble adjusting to the altitude or weather. You will most likely need a light or medium weight blanket for winters, especially if your guys are thin-skinned or prone to shivering.

Lots of people feed alfalfa; it's cheaper and more prevalent since it's grown out there. But there are plenty of grass hays available as well, or you can get some good mixes. A barn we were at fed a 20% alfalfa/80% timothy that was great! Our horses easily picked up weight. When we moved out there, we were supplementing with beet pulp, but after a month or two, we didn't need to anymore.

For boarding or more general horse info, check out the Wasatch Pony Club's site (wasatchpc.org), the Wasatch Range Eventing Assn. (wreautah.com), Utah Dressage Society (utahdressagesociety.net), or the Utah H/J Assn. (uhja.org).

Since you'll be in the Heber/Park City area, check out Creamayre Brook Farm. They are advertised in the classifieds of some of the sites above. It has a good reputation as a riding facility.

Hopefully atr and Beverley and other Utahans will chime in as well.
    Last edited by cllane1; Jun. 18, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    Drop the pebble and trust in the ripples. -- John O'Leary

We moved from Colorado to Texas about 8 years. My horses still pack their bags every spring and want to know when the bus for Colorado is coming.

Found horsekeeping much easier there than here, even with the snow in the winter. Didn't run fans, buy fly predators, have to have rabies shots, their coats didn't bleach out.

Think you will find your horses thrive!

Thank you for the info. I apologize that I did not see the recent thread on Utah.

Wow!! no flies in Utah? Why have I not moved there sooner?! I'm excited!

I understand it is hard to find pasture, so I don't NEED pasture, but rather just thought it would be the most economical since that's how it is in TX. A stall is great, and very nice to have in the winter I'm sure. I pay $550 to board 2 horses right now, and would like to find something equivalent or even less expensive if possible.

When I visited a month ago, I really likes a facility in Heber called Sage Creek, but board was more than I prefer to pay, which is too bad, b/c I really liked the people and the atmosphere.

The UHJA website was most helpful, and I have found a few barns that I will call. Does anyone know anything about any of these stables:

McRanch Boarding Facility (Heber)
    Midway Equiestrian Center (Midway)
    Tally Ho Farm (Park City)
    Northfield Stables (Heber)
    Deer Valley Stables (Park Citry)
    Sweetwater Equestrian (Heber)
    Silver Creek Stables (Park City)
    Phoenix Farm (in Peoa)

Oh, we have flies . And use fly predators. But at my house there are no mosquitoes or fleas or ticks (though you will find these in certain places).

I grew up in Texas, and we moved here from the D.C. area 15 years ago. I do enjoy the climate, though you'll get more snow in Park City/Heber than I do on the other side of the mountain. On the other hand you will have lovely riding weather all summer long up there!

I'll be swinging by my barn later this morning, I will see if the barn owner has any scoop on the barns you listed. I would think that reasonable pasture board type places could be had in Kamas or Woodland areas. There is an excellent new veterinary facility that just opened last fall, at the intersection of I-80 and US 40.

You just had to burst my bubble about the flies, didn't you Beverly. I knew it was too good to be true! I am super excited about no fleas, ticks and mosquitoes! We have had major flea battles here in east TX, and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Beverly, I've spoken with you before, we're also friends on FB. Anyway, now that we've actually nailed down where and when we are moving, I've realized that I have to find board and shipping and all in 3 weeks! Thanks for asking around. I'm going to start making calls to the barns I listed and see if I can find more info out. I'm hoping to get out to UT this upcoming week, so maybe I can even swing by some of these and check them out.

I live in the Park City area. I'll send you a PM