The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Hair Needed to Mop Oil in Gulf

I apologize if this has already run. I was talking with Kim at Rein-Aid this aft. and thought it worth posting.

http://www.barnmice.com/group/horsej...ded-to-mop-oil
    Last edited by Barbara_F; Jun. 16, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

According to news accounts on the radio in the past couple of weeks, this is a bit of an urban legend. There have never been any official plans to use human or animal hair, and 'they' have massive amounts of hair parked hither and yon in Louisiana, because well meaning people sent it in- but it will not be used.

I don't think it's urban legend, because I spoke with Kim this aft. and she said this is all happening.

People are collecting it, but it isn't being used (nor, last I heard, is it wanted). If you use hair to sop up oil, you have the problem of attempting to get rid of oil soaked hair -- your choices amount to basically landfills or burning and all that does is transfer pollutants to either a different location or a different form.

MIAMI — Like countless beauticians across the country, Ana La Bella has had the hair swept from the floor of her salon, wrapped in plastic bags and shipped off to help contain the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

But the boxes she sent are piling up with hundreds of thousands of pounds of hair, pet fur and fleece in 19 warehouses spread throughout Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida.

BP and the U.S. Coast Guard say they are not using hair to sop up the oil, and don't plan to.

La Bella, who has a chalkboard near the entrance of La Bella Salon telling they are collecting hair for the spill, said she would be angry if the hair is being collected for no reason.
    "I would feel responsible for my clients' hair," she said.

The hair-for-oil effort was organized by the San Francisco-based nonprofit Matter of Trust, which after repeated requests for comment by telephone and e-mail released a statement over the weekend saying there had been a misunderstanding with BP.
    The hair was collected to make homespun oil boom to contain the ooze as it invades deeper into coastal marshland.

Engineers said they concluded that using the hair was not feasible, and the organizations collecting the hair were asked to stop doing so.
    "We foresee a risk that widespread deployment of the hair boom could exacerbate the debris problem," said Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Shawn Eggert in Robert, La., at the main command center.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Default Loshad is always right!

From Matter of Trust's website. Matter of Trust is the non-profit for which people continue to collect hair that isn't being used:

6. Is BP using these booms?

No. BP's Critical Resources Materials Management Team contacted us on May 15th and they were very excited and produced a report for usage of our warehouses of donated natural fibers to protect the canals. On May 21st BP's Public Affairs department, who were not in contact with the Critical Resources Dept until we introduced them, told us that BP wanted to apologize but that had enough of their own BP synthetic boom. Since then, Gulf municipalities and harbors are taking the donated natural fiber boom to protect their shores wherever they can. We want to thank BP Critical Resources Materials Management Team For Boom Acquisition for their forward ideas and to say that they were a pleasure to work with.

8. Does Matter of Trust collect donations of hair, fur, fleece, and nylons all the time?

We collect donations when we have warehouse space and when there are emergency spills. Everyone on our database gets email alerts. Right now volunteers in the Gulf are working their way through MOUNTAINS of your generous donations, so we are asking people wait for our alerts of when and where to send. We have already made 10 miles of boom and have enough to make 15 more miles. This makes a total of 25 miles boom for donation, made by over 600 volunteers, from donated fiber clippings and nylons from every city in North America and beyond! Thank you and now we boom and deploy in the Gulf.

9. How many booms have you made for the Gulf?

As of June 11, 2010 in the 19 warehouses at the Gulf and the one warehouse in San Francisco CA, we have over 10 miles of boom stuffed. We have enough boxes, bags and pallets of fiber and donated nylons to make another 15 miles to total 25 miles of boom made from donations by volunteers in just over 1 month! Now we are concentrating on booming and deploying till we make more room in the warehouses. Please sign up to donate in future.

10. I want to send in hair, fur or fleece what should I do?

Please see our instructions page on how to participate in this program. If we are not currently taking in more boxes because warehouses are full, please keep one full box on hand ready to send in for emergency alerts.

10a. Should I collect from local salons and groomers and ship to you?

Generally, if you want to go to salons & groomers and promote donating, please tell them they can sign up. Don't offer to continually collect and ship yourself it will become very expensive for you. Donors are more careful about having no debris in the boxes if they ship from their own businesses. And we only want willing, eager, careful donors.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    According to news accounts on the radio in the past couple of weeks, this is a bit of an urban legend. There have never been any official plans to use human or animal hair, and 'they' have massive amounts of hair parked hither and yon in Louisiana, because well meaning people sent it in- but it will not be used.
    This has indeed been on the news here in our area....warehouses full of hair in bags not being used.

Thanks for the updates. I had understood that Matter of Trust was looking to create another 25 miles of booms.

Default They are being used...

My MIL lives in Mobile, AL and has helped with making the hair booms. I don't believe they are being widely used but they are indeed in use. She said that the hair booms are reported to actually be better than the other boom types. (This is per reports of people who have used them.)

Last week she went down to the "hair" warehouse in downtown Mobile to help make the booms. So, the hair IS being used.

I chopped off 14+ inches of hair (12 for Locks of Love) and sent the rest to the oil spill. I say people should keep sending. At the very least these booms can be used on personal properties and to block oil from getting into small inlets and rivers. I lived in Mobile for years and I know that these people are going to do everything they can to protect their properties and public land they can. (Even if BP is claiming that the hair booms don't really work.)

SFrost, did you read the excerpt that donk posted from the organization that's making them. They very specifically said that they do not want anyone to send more hair until they have warehouse room.

In addition, apparently the hair booms tend to sink when waterlogged, which isn't the most effective method of keeping oil away from where it shouldn't be, but is really good at adding to the pollution and debris in the Gulf.

I'll be interested to see how people dispose of the oil soaked hair booms. That's going to be a nightmare in and of itself.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SFrost View Post
    My MIL lives in Mobile, AL and has helped with making the hair booms. I don't believe they are being widely used but they are indeed in use. She said that the hair booms are reported to actually be better than the other boom types. (This is per reports of people who have used them.)

Last week she went down to the "hair" warehouse in downtown Mobile to help make the booms. So, the hair IS being used.

I chopped off 14+ inches of hair (12 for Locks of Love) and sent the rest to the oil spill. I say people should keep sending. At the very least these booms can be used on personal properties and to block oil from getting into small inlets and rivers. I lived in Mobile for years and I know that these people are going to do everything they can to protect their properties and public land they can. (Even if BP is claiming that the hair booms don't really work.)
    BP has refused just about every solution offered to them. Continously telling everyone that they have the situation under control/no help needed. My friend was watching a show (I think it was Huckabee's) and he had several guests on who had several products available and proven to work on oil spills...but they've been told NO.

That's interesting about the hair booms....I wonder how they make them?

In order to send the hair you have to sign up on the website. Then, when they are ready for more hair they send out a notice with the address to send the hair. I don't mean just send it indiscriminately. Sorry, should have been more clear. I don't want people to think that the booms don't work and stop making donations. That is not the case.

I have been informed that the Coast Guard has agreed to pick up the oil booms. I know that that conflicts with what other have posted. I am just reporting back what I have heard.

The hair issue aside, I read the other day that BP has purchased 32 super-duper oil recovery machines from none other than Kevin Costner (yes, THAT Kevin Costner). He and his scientist brother have been developing this machine since 1992-93.

From the sounds of it, it will be of huge value in cleaning up this worst oil spill in U.S. history (if not the world). Thing is, when Costner approached the oil industry years ago about it, they weren't interested, saying that big oil spills were pretty much a thing of the past. Um, yeah...

Anyway, here's the article I read (be sure to watch the accompanying video below the article of Costner's interview with Anderson Cooper):
    http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...storyid=102523

On a horse-related note, who didn't cry when gorgeous Cisco died in "Dances with Wolves"...
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Where have you seen that the GC will pick up booms? The only place I've seen anything like that is a (non-CG) YouTube video. It doesn't appear to be on either the CG site or the deepwaterhorizon.com site that I can find.

The hair booms are made by stuffing nylons full of hair, I believe.

When needed I will be happy to lop off some of Snake's hair to clean up the oil! He wants to save the Gulf too.

I've been saving Sam's spring shedding hair to give to a friend's husband--he's restoring an old Victorian house and wants to make genuine horsehair plaster. He said he'll put a picture of Sam on it when he's done. It's getting a little creepy though, meeting my friend at the farmer's market and handing off a bag of horse. d;

Now maybe I'll save it for the oil spill...

Perhaps this is where they got the hair idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

Default Here you go!

This is the 6/17/10 update I had waiting in my inbox this morning, hope its ok to cross post.... Our vet's office was signed up by me (with their permission) and I also collected nylons. Our hair box mailed last week and we're once again collecting to send more when the warehouses have room!

NOTE: You do have to sign up to be able to send hair in! Also, for human hair that is 10" or over they are recommending Locks of Love and other groups of that type.

Hi All -

Lots of booming going on! Volunteers are working their way tirelessly through mountains of fiber. Thanks to all of you for your help, patience and ideas!

If you have already emailed us about asking where to send boxes, 1 email's enough, we're getting back to each of you. We are receiving thousands of emails a day. You are all so generous and we want to respond to all of you and YES, we are working on making room at the warehouses.

We all need this to be organized. Considering the first call out was less than 6 weeks ago, and fiber donations are in from all over the world, booms are being made by volunteers only and in temporary warehouses. Plus the oil is always moving and hard to predict 2 days in a row.

Still, thousands of your boom are completed and deployed and more and more will be, there is so much area to cover.

Please check out our NEW Frequently Asked Questions page regarding volunteering, needs for mesh, donating $, questions about who uses the booms, disposal etc.

http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairfaq.html

We appreciate your patience and apply your suggestions. This is everybody's program because everybody cares so much!

Best wishes to all of you truly remarkable people!

Lisa Gautier
    www.matteroftrust.org
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!