The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    DO NOT POST ON THE OTHER THREAD ANYMORE

    Here's the deal...

    We're going to meet at the ODH point to point April 9th. It starts around noon and you may want to get there a tad early. Closer to the event, we'll post more details on the number for Hunter's Rest's rail spot and carpooling info. Everyone who comes to Hunter's Rest's rail spot should bring one item (food or drinks, and please don't all bring a bag of chips) PER PERSON...so, if you come with your husband and child a good example might be (1) a bottle of wine or pack/case of beer; (2) dip and veggies or chips or a pasta or potato salad; and (3) a plate of brownies, cookies or some other yummy tasty thing for Hucklebug who likes sweets.

    The races will end early evening and the party will move over to Fantastico's in Warrenton around 6:30. They have a great menu and atmosphere and you are welcome to just show up at Fantastico's if you can't make the races.

    *IF there is a lull after the races before Fantastico's, those of us who are shop-a-holics are going to head over to Horse Country Saddlery in Warrenton to drain our wallets on Virginia's finest spendy horse products (please try and head over before closing to keep the shop open for the late comers!)

    More details on all locations and plans in general will be posted closer to the time....please keep bumping this thread so we don't lose it!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    DO NOT POST ON THE OTHER THREAD ANYMORE

    Here's the deal...

    We're going to meet at the ODH point to point April 9th. It starts around noon and you may want to get there a tad early. Closer to the event, we'll post more details on the number for Hunter's Rest's rail spot and carpooling info. Everyone who comes to Hunter's Rest's rail spot should bring one item (food or drinks, and please don't all bring a bag of chips) PER PERSON...so, if you come with your husband and child a good example might be (1) a bottle of wine or pack/case of beer; (2) dip and veggies or chips or a pasta or potato salad; and (3) a plate of brownies, cookies or some other yummy tasty thing for Hucklebug who likes sweets.

    The races will end early evening and the party will move over to Fantastico's in Warrenton around 6:30. They have a great menu and atmosphere and you are welcome to just show up at Fantastico's if you can't make the races.

    *IF there is a lull after the races before Fantastico's, those of us who are shop-a-holics are going to head over to Horse Country Saddlery in Warrenton to drain our wallets on Virginia's finest spendy horse products (please try and head over before closing to keep the shop open for the late comers!)

    More details on all locations and plans in general will be posted closer to the time....please keep bumping this thread so we don't lose it!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2000
    Location
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    I'd come but I'll be in FL visiting Daddy for his b'day.

    "If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anyplace Farm:
    I'd come but I'll be in FL visiting Daddy for his b'day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    You are a good daughter....we'll invite you to the unofficial pre-party parties that Hunter's Rest and I are going to have before then...those who want to attend the pre-party parties in Feb and March, PT me...these will be local area establishments drinks and dinner type events...one will require a mandatory tribute to Hucklebug (the pony, not the poster, i don't talk about myself in the third person) who is turning 30 this year and with whom I'm celebrating a 20th anniversary this year as well :-)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2004
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Anyplace!! Where ya been girlie?!

    HB--you know I'm in for any/all parties!
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    bump for the night...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Wow! That's the day after my birthday! I assume ODH = "Old Dominion Hunt"? Where, and how much does it cost?

    Thanks!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2004
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    I'd like to join in on the pre-party parties. It'll be nice to actually meet some of you guys!!!! Let me know some of the details!
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2001
    Location
    Burke, Va, USA
    Posts
    228

    Default

    You know I'm up for it....depending on my wonderful amount of IB diploma work that particular week http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

    Hucklebug-we will talk closer to the date
    (we have to get through this weekend first!!)
    **Mary**












  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 1999
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    It sounds fantastico!

    I'm excited to start exploring the horsey side of VA (esp. now that I know what a point to point is!) and to put some faces & real names to COTH names.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2004
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justdandy:
    It'll be nice to actually meet some of you guys!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    It'll be 'just dandy'?
    I kill me!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    cost varies depending on how you get in...there are both individual and car passes, but nothing is super expensive.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    I think we need a party now, with the BB down!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2004
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Invested1:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justdandy:
    It'll be nice to actually meet some of you guys!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    It'll be 'just dandy'?
    I kill me!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 2003
    Location
    Flint Hill, Virginia
    Posts
    2,588

    Default

    Ok. Once more (with emphasis.) The Old Dominion Hounds Point to Point races are April 9 starting at noon (or 12:30) at the Ben Venue Farm in Ben Venue which is a wide spot in the road in Rappahannock County which is the one just west of Fauquier (just north of Culpeper, just south of Clarke and Loudoun). Ben Venue is 16 miles west of Warrenton on Route 211; the course is a mile off the road (a good 4 lane) but signs will steer you in. Tickets are (probably) $10 per person or $20 per car or something. I always get several tix (for my job as journalist, horseman, and another as a landowner in the territory) so I'll no doubt have a few to share. Call me. And also there are a number of places along the way to meet up with folks and carpool in (as I'm sure there is an inexpensive per car charge.)
    I will post here again as I know my parking space number, but it is just above the paddock (where horses saddle before each race) and it will be easy to find. Ask anybody for Betsy Parker (that's me) around the paddock area and you'll find you way.
    ODH is just one of about 15 steeplechase race meets on the spring calendar in Virginia. The season starts Feb. 26 at Casanova (east of Warrenton) and wraps up with a championship meet at Morven Park in Leesburg May 26 or so. The Virginia Gold Cup (sort of the Kentucky Derby of jump racing) is the first Saturday in May. Tickets are pricey there, but the point to points (benefits for area hunts) are very reasonable. Again, whoever is really really really interested may contact me for ride-alongs as I do get tix to all the events for my job.
    Attire will be anything from muddy jeans and wellies and a ball cap to a cute flowery dress and little pink keds and a straw hat dripping with flowers. (No heels. But otherwise, anything goes.) There is a bookmaker who will take your bets. Point to points are great fun, both for the horses (which, at the ODH meet are especially good as its date coincides with the Maryland Hunt Cup and Gold Cup as a perfect 'prep' spot) and the people watching (the course is a good bowl shape, the paddock centrally located, the finish line visible as are most fences on both hurdle and timber courses.)
    Fantastico's is right on the 'bypass' in Warrenton, which is, I think, officially business 29; but basically, the restaurant is jsut off of 29 and 17 so its real easy access. Horse Country Saddlery is up Alexandria Pike, 'uphill' from Fantastico's on the edge of Old Town Warrenton (there are signs). It is also easy to find for those shipping in for the day.
    Again, I know Picturesque Farm offered her place for partying (maybe sleepovers?) and Run Race Jump did too. Me too. So check into making a weekend of it - the ODH hunter pace (not as big a deal for spectating but sort of fun to hang out and watch and eat and drink) is at noon on that Sunday. Plus, I'm sure, there will be other area shows and what have you. Check my newspaper's Sporting Calendar (www.fauquier.com , click sports, then horse sports) already has the steeplechases and hunter paces listed, plus shows and stuff, so everybody can easily find stuff to do on Sunday if you want to stay over. Plus, there are a zillion wineries and cutesy towns in the area.
    Hope this helps with a few details.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    So, is there going to be a pre pre party or do we all have to wait till April?

    What about something next weekend somewhere in the area? Maybe even in the real Northern VA area/Dulles Corridor? lol.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    I would love to do it this weekend Pied.. but me VERY sick...

    Mono is great...NOT
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pre pre party? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    We haven't been waiting http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Hunter's Head in Upperville was a few weeks ago, Maxwells last Friday and Foster's in Warrenton this Friday.

    Here's the link to Heidi's visit and the fun that ensued.

    Prior Fun with COTH BBers

    How cool is it that so many of us have gotten to know each other through the boards?

    I've got to see in Inverness will drag herself to this one.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2004
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hunter's Rest:
    Ok. Once more (with emphasis.) The Old Dominion Hounds Point to Point races are April 9 starting at noon (or 12:30) at the Ben Venue Farm in Ben Venue which is a wide spot in the road in Rappahannock County which is the one just west of Fauquier (just north of Culpeper, just south of Clarke and Loudoun). Ben Venue is 16 miles west of Warrenton on Route 211; the course is a mile off the road (a good 4 lane) but signs will steer you in. Tickets are (probably) $10 per person or $20 per car or something. I always get several tix (for my job as journalist, horseman, and another as a landowner in the territory) so I'll no doubt have a few to share. Call me. And also there are a number of places along the way to meet up with folks and carpool in (as I'm sure there is an inexpensive per car charge.)
    I will post here again as I know my parking space number, but it is just above the paddock (where horses saddle before each race) and it will be easy to find. Ask anybody for Betsy Parker (that's me) around the paddock area and you'll find you way.
    ODH is just one of about 15 steeplechase race meets on the spring calendar in Virginia. The season starts Feb. 26 at Casanova (east of Warrenton) and wraps up with a championship meet at Morven Park in Leesburg May 26 or so. The Virginia Gold Cup (sort of the Kentucky Derby of jump racing) is the first Saturday in May. Tickets are pricey there, but the point to points (benefits for area hunts) are very reasonable. Again, whoever is really really really interested may contact me for ride-alongs as I do get tix to all the events for my job.
    Attire will be anything from muddy jeans and wellies and a ball cap to a cute flowery dress and little pink keds and a straw hat dripping with flowers. (No heels. But otherwise, anything goes.) There is a bookmaker who will take your bets. Point to points are great fun, both for the horses (which, at the ODH meet are especially good as its date coincides with the Maryland Hunt Cup and Gold Cup as a perfect 'prep' spot) and the people watching (the course is a good bowl shape, the paddock centrally located, the finish line visible as are most fences on both hurdle and timber courses.)
    Fantastico's is right on the 'bypass' in Warrenton, which is, I think, officially business 29; but basically, the restaurant is jsut off of 29 and 17 so its real easy access. Horse Country Saddlery is up Alexandria Pike, 'uphill' from Fantastico's on the edge of Old Town Warrenton (there are signs). It is also easy to find for those shipping in for the day.
    Again, I know Picturesque Farm offered her place for partying (maybe sleepovers?) and Run Race Jump did too. Me too. So check into making a weekend of it - the ODH hunter pace (not as big a deal for spectating but sort of fun to hang out and watch and eat and drink) is at noon on that Sunday. Plus, I'm sure, there will be other area shows and what have you. Check my newspaper's Sporting Calendar (www.fauquier.com , click sports, then horse sports) already has the steeplechases and hunter paces listed, plus shows and stuff, so everybody can easily find stuff to do on Sunday if you want to stay over. Plus, there are a zillion wineries and cutesy towns in the area.
    Hope this helps with a few details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thanks...maybe you should take over as the ringleader http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2004
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Hey HR--check your PTs.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.



Similar Threads

  1. Hooray!! We have an official Young Horse Coach
    By Tiki in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: Feb. 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 330
    Last Post: May. 6, 2004, 02:03 PM
  3. Replies: 137
    Last Post: Nov. 19, 2003, 08:10 PM
  4. The official Fair Hill thread (so how was it everyone?)
    By baileygreyhorse in forum Eventing
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: Nov. 1, 2003, 11:10 AM
  5. Replies: 141
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2003, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •