The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Driving myself crazy-Sorry so long!

My vet is coming out tomorrow but I am making myself crazy with worry. My 19 yr old jumper came up lame in his RF 6 weeks ago after going to a local show with my daughter. He was in good shape, ridden all winter by myself on the flat. Last Oct. he had a strain in his RF fletlock. Healed nicely, no lameness, no lesions, just heat and swelling. My vet took xrays and said he had a very thin sole and broken back axis, very underslung heels, some slight arthritic changes in his very upright pastern. My farrier has been shoeing him for 6 years and he has always had bad confirmation in that foot. They decided to try a 3 degree wedge. No problems all winter. Big problem after jumping! According to my vet there was a good chance he jammed up his coffin joint. We injected the coffin joint and put his 2 degree wedges back on. He was perfect, def. more comfortable. Sound even after showing.
    Fast forward to yesterday. I picked up trot tracking right, no problem. Came across the diagonal to change to left, 4 really bad steps in the turn. I came right down to the walk and went across the diagonal at the walk, picked up trot tracking right again NOTHING, did a figure 8, NOTHING, rode for 45 mins, WTC NOTHING! I could not produce the lameness again.
    Today my daughter got on and he was really stiff (not atypical for him) so she worked him at the walk for a long time. Picked up canter and he was much softer and relaxed. I asked to see him trot and going right he had a couple of so so steps and then fine. Could this be a navicular issue starting? I noticed he is not putting all his weight on his heel of the RF. Not really pointing but not locking his knee all the time.

I never heard of "jamming up the coffin joint".
    My first thoughts were a stone bruise from the show.
    Did you have your farrier put hoof testers on him?
    Navicular didn't cross my mind.

Just Jingles for your horse and you ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Thanks for the jingles! I hate the unknown.

I don't believe it is a stone bruise because he has a pad on that foot. By jamming the coffin joint I meant he aggravated it because he was wedged to high and not really landing on his heel but more on his toe.

Default Calling all farriers!

My vet came today. We jogged in a straight line-he was off. Lunged better to the right than left. Lameness is on the right front(inside)of hoof. My vet pulled the shoe and he is pretty sore all over, toe, heel but mostly on the inside of his hoof. She had to dig out some necrotic hoof at the white line and this sent him through the roof. My farrier has taken great care of my guy for 6 years. My vet did the pre-purchase back then and said if we ever had any problems it would be with this Foot! Never been lame until 6 weeks ago.
    Her recommendation: egg bars to support his heel better, rim pads so I can get to his foot to medicate it. Float the inside where he is soar on the white line. 2 degree wedge he has always been in. Shorten his toe for better breakover. She felt his foot was well balanced. He is very underslung and has a broken back axis, and is incredibly thin soled. X rays are scary! Very upright in his pastern.
    What do you think? There was also a lot of dirt under his full pad, could this be bothering him?
    Thanks!

Yes, dirt/debris under a pad can cause severe bruising. Did your farrier pack anything between his pad and his hoof when he put the pad on?
    Did your vet have a thought on how this happened?
    I assume he is always in pads because of him being so thin soled?
    Is there a plan to put the pad back on when his foot is healed?
    Hope he makes a quick recovery!!

Thanks you Love my Nags! I hope it is a quick recovery as well! He has such thin soles he has always had pads. My farrier puts sole pack and a kind of "shredded rope". This shoeing it seemed to come right out the back right away.
    We think the 3 dergee pad was to much on his coffin joint.
    If we can get him comfortable and he doesn't need pads I would like to stay with rim pads so I can treat his foot better.

I dont know if this helps/makes you feel any better, but egg bar shoes, with a wedge made my navicular horse go from being only pasture sound to w/t/c/jump 2ft. They are wonderfull things.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks! I hope we can figure out the best way to shoe him! My farrier has been shoeing him for 6 years, no problems, so between the vet, the farrier and all the internet knowledge I now have we will hopefully come up with a good plan. I'll report back.

They don't last forever...six years of soudness on a horse this age is a good run.

It might be time to think about easing off on his workload, and looking for a younger, sounder horse to jump.

The last couple of years my daughter has shown him just a few show(4-6) in the season. He is our once in a lifetime horse! Now we just want him to be happy and sound. HE loves to jump but if it not possible we are ok with that. He is a blast to flat and trail ride as well. I know they don't last forever but I wish that they :/