The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you use this bit? link

http://i1.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d4/2c/c786_2.JPG

If you want to use the bottom slot, fine.

What if you want to use the first slot? That ring cheekpiece is sort of in the way. Would it be ok to put the lines in those slots anyway?

Or would you attach the lines to the round cheekpiece? What is the purpose of the round cheekpiece?

I am looking for a leverage type bit. Some of them *look like* they would pinch the lips. Can you show me a pic so I would know which style cheek/mouth won't pinch?

Thanks!

Yip

Wendy, This looks like a Glory bit, which is what I use. They have their supporters and detractors (surprise, huh? ) but it's been a good driving bit for my Haflingers. It's a little hard to tell from the two dimensions of a photo but if you could see the bit in person you would be able to tell that it's very possible to buckle your reins into the first slot.

The bit has 3 snaffle settings and two curb slots, so there are lots of possible rein settings. It's a mild bit. Even the first curb slot is a quasi-snaffle setting, unlike some Liverpool bits where the first slot gives more curb action. Again, hard to describe and hard to see from a photo but if you could hold the bit in your hands, you would quickly understand it. I drive a single pony on the 'rough cheek' snaffle setting and the pair goes out in the first curb slot. It works quite well for my ponies.

My bits have swivel cheeks. I haven't had any problem with them pinching their lips. I do allow a little extra room with my driving bits. The boys take 5.5" snaffles for riding but I use 6" driving bits on them. Works well for me but my boys are not overly fussy about bits in general. As they say, it's the hands attached to the bit that matter the most.

Karen

Thanks, Karen!

Yip

http://www.drivingessentials.com/lp_rein_settings.htm

attached is a great picture (from Driving Essentials) on where reins can attach on a liverpool bit

what it doesnt include is that on the Glory Bit there is a slot for the rein attachment in the snaffle ring of the bit

also if you use the rough cheeck setting (1st slot at the mouth)
    we were taught to bring the rein around the back of the whole snaffle ring - thru the slot and out to buckle

One thing I like about the Glory Bit is that it has the slots positioned so you use the slot for the rein instead of just placing the rein around a post or ring - so the rein stays in place better

One of our boys like the Glory Bit - with liverpool swivel sides
    the other does fine in a Mullen Liverpool with swivel sides and latex wrapped
    Shows they all have different preferences

When we first started driving, nearly everyone drove with the Basic Liverpool - swivel sides, 3 slots, straight mouth with one side grooved and one side smooth

Now there is A LOT more choice to suit your animal

this is a nice little video of the liverpool bit and its use

http://videos.apnicommunity.com/Vide...,70936664.html

and this is a nice pictorial of bits and mouthpieces

http://www.coachmansdelight.com/CGui...?pg=GUI46&k=42

One pic is worth a thousand words, for sure! And I love that series of videos. That was very helpful, NJ. I'm going to buy a bit today - or else.

Do you guys prefer the mullen mouth or the other curved bar on your bits?
    Thanks, all!

Yip

I use one of those glory bits on the donkey and it is great allowing for the donkeys thicker tongue than a mullen liverpool, being slightly arched mouthed as well. It is used with a buckled on leather curb strap which is also kinder on a donkey with its short jaw.

I have a Butterfly Glory bit we use on Sasha. I love it ... and so does Sasha. Her extremely sensitive mouth is much happier in it, than in the other bits I've tried on her.

There was a dramatic difference in Sasha when we but the glory in her mouth ... she was immediately happier! (Sasha's a real "fuss-budget" about her mouth ... and very hard to please!)
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Default One Great Informational Post !

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    http://www.drivingessentials.com/lp_rein_settings.htm

attached is a great picture (from Driving Essentials) on where reins can attach on a liverpool bit

what it doesnt include is that on the Glory Bit there is a slot for the rein attachment in the snaffle ring of the bit

also if you use the rough cheeck setting (1st slot at the mouth)
    we were taught to bring the rein around the back of the whole snaffle ring - thru the slot and out to buckle

One thing I like about the Glory Bit is that it has the slots positioned so you use the slot for the rein instead of just placing the rein around a post or ring - so the rein stays in place better

One of our boys like the Glory Bit - with liverpool swivel sides
    the other does fine in a Mullen Liverpool with swivel sides and latex wrapped
    Shows they all have different preferences

When we first started driving, nearly everyone drove with the Basic Liverpool - swivel sides, 3 slots, straight mouth with one side grooved and one side smooth

Now there is A LOT more choice to suit your animal

this is a nice little video of the liverpool bit and its use

http://videos.apnicommunity.com/Vide...,70936664.html

and this is a nice pictorial of bits and mouthpieces

http://www.coachmansdelight.com/CGui...?pg=GUI46&k=42
    This one of the very best posts ever ~ very informative and clear ~ thanks for posting.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I will say that you should not need the last slot on the end. I call that the Oh $#!t slot. As you will be eventually saying it if the horse is that hard to control. That said I know an older gentleman that drives a team with the bits set to the last notch. He has excellent hands but not the strength that he used to have so this gives him a little safety net. LF

Here the third slot is called the Duffer's bar.

A duffer being an incompetent or clumsy person.

It's considered if you need to use it that you're better off giving up driving or else shooting the horse that needs it!

I want two slots only. I don't plan to use the third, and it makes the bit ugly and unweidly looking.

Considering I drive her now with a plain D-ring, I would have the 2 slots to fall back on if necessary - never the third.

I am trying to decide if we want fixed ckeekpieces or swivel. Our bit now has swivel & she's used to that, but it is also her riding bit. Maybe for a pretty green driver, that might be *too much information* going out for the horse?

Yip