The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gross Moldy Tack- used rubbing alcohol!!

I usually use the vinegar rinse and then Leather Therapy for gross moldy neglected tack, but read on another site for purse care that people tried a 1:1 ratio of rubbing alcohol to water, dipped in it, and then oiled and treated with Leather Therapy conditioner (supposedly has a mold inhibitor in it). Anyway, the vinegar usually leaves the tack smelling awful, so I tried the rubbing alcohol with a huge pile of gross white spotted tack that I was meaning to give away anyway, so no harm done if it died slowly in alcohol.

I dipped it all in a bucket, and I swear, I could see the mold fizzing off in the bucket! It all smells MUCH better (not like nasty vinegar at all), and it didn't seem to dry it out like the vinegar did. I'm also going to run it through a front-loader washer with Leather Therapy Leather Wash and then set it out in the sun tomorrow. The first load I did like this smells great, oiled well, and is looking very nice. I'm not sure how long it will inhibit the mold, but it's not going back in the same environment and it smells good enough to keep in the house! Just thought I'd pass that along, as none of the older threads I read in preparation for this mentioned the rubbing alcohol dip.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    I'm also going to run it through a front-loader washer with Leather Therapy Leather Wash and then set it out in the sun tomorrow. The first load I did like this smells great, oiled well, and is looking very nice.
    Wait, what exactly are you putting in a washer? Leather items? You're putting them through a wash cycle in a clothes washer? And it doesn't batter them too much? I've never had a front-load washer, but I just can't picture a saddle inside a washing machine!! LOL!

Hmmmm...imagine the looks I'd get if I wander into a laundromat and pop a saddle inside a washer!

Wait, what exactly are you putting in a washer? Leather items? You're putting them through a wash cycle in a clothes washer? And it doesn't batter them too much? I've never had a front-load washer, but I just can't picture a saddle inside a washing machine!! LOL!
    I bought some leather halters from a tack swap that were a little on the grungy side. I tried normal cleaning, and it just wasn't working, so I threw them in the washer. I let them dry and then conditioned them with Passier Lederbalsam, and they look amazing! I don't even have a front load washer, just the regular top load washer.

So yes, some of us are desperate enough to throw leather items in the washer, and yes, it really does work!

Leather Therapy makes a leather wash that you use in the washing machine like a detergent, and it really works well. I put it in a front-loading washer (by itself ) with the solution and on minimal spin cycle (just enough to suds it all up). I oil it afterwards, and it actually looks fantastic. I don't do it with new tack that's just dirty from normal use, but on neglected tack and also on dirty suede half-chaps, it really brings it back to life.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Was it this stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Therap...737553&sr=1-16

or was it just the leather therapy "wash" which looks more like a spray on product.

I have a barn full of nasty moldy tack and a pony on the way, so I'd love to know!
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaila View Post
    Was it this stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Therap...737553&sr=1-16

or was it just the leather therapy "wash" which looks more like a spray on product.

I have a barn full of nasty moldy tack and a pony on the way, so I'd love to know!
    We actually used this
    http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Therap...ef=pd_sim_sg_1
    but the product you linked to says it should be used in tandem with the one I linked to, so I'd go for both of them. Good luck!