The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hair Extensions on Horses

I am wondering if this is just a passing fad but it appears that we see a lot of horses in hunter breeders' shows wearing tail extensions, I have even seen yearlings wear them. I find them almost hideous. Why has it become so popular? Is it only me but I find that there is nothing more annoying than watching a horse that wears hair extensions in line classes (or in performance classes). I hope this style will die out soon.

Wow! You should attend the Quarter Horse Congress or APHA World Show! No one would be caught dead without a fake tail! I think it helps balance the VISUAL picture of a certain horse who may be light behind, a bit heavy in front to have a long, full tail. I had to at least think about using one when my colt's equine buddy took a big bite of the colt's tail from over the fence. I decided against using one, though I did purchase an exact hair match! In the winter, though, when the flies are gone, I bag my horses' tails in a soccer sock tied below the dock into the braided tail (braided from bottom of dock down) and usually have a long, full, pretty tail by springtime. But agree with you that on yearlings and some two year olds a fake tail looks silly!

If you can tell it's a fake it's not a good fake tail. A lot of the hunter breeders aren't quiet up to par on the latest and greatest in tail trends and buy the cheap tails that really do look cheezey.

Now putting way too much tail in a yearling is also going to look a little obvious, so if that's what you mean, I'm with you there. But if you are watching a horse go and you can see the real tail go one way and the fake go the other way, it'sa cheap tail, or not put in right!

I don't know if fake tails are en vogue in other diciplines, but in AQHA/APHA/Pinto etc, I have YET to be fooled by a fake tail. The way they distractingly wrap and twist around the back legs is a dead giveaway. I find them amazingly distracting and no part about them is visually appealing to me. However, if they're now being used in the dressage ring or something like that you're right--they MUST be good tails because I haven't noticed that

Hate them. Period. I don't mind a thin tail on a horse, especially if the tail bone is also thin. You have to take the ENTIRE animal into consideration when deciding if you need one. I would use one on a tail that had been chewed above the hocks, if the horse was over 2 y.o. But I would work on the extension A LOT to make it look like a young horse's tail, not just slap it on straight out of the bag. So far, I have not had to do it and I don't forsee it. Because I really do hate them. Seeing them on yearlings makes me want to yank it out.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I say it's a horse show... so show the horse and make it look the best you can. If that means adding a fake tail... who cares. There are many companies that make the tails in every color, length, thickness etc. If done RIGHT, it looks awesome.

Besides I am a firm believer in buying hair.
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

If a horse is uncomfortable in it, they may not want to move over their back.

I personally hate anything fake. While I do make sure my horses are spotless and shiny in the show ring, I think that structure and movement is what matters most.

Callaway and LaurieP, I totally agree! Please don't let tail extensions become a trend in HB. I would only use one carefully and therapeudically and my one venture into using one (to extend a chewed tail) in HB was NOT a success!!!!

All I have to say is save your money and learn to grow a tail if you want all that tail. It's not that hard people! Believe me..... I agree, I hate fake tails. I see them all the time here where I show. Yuck....
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

If you can tell it's a fake it's not a good fake tail.
    You keep telling yourself that. Trust me--there are NO good fake tails. I don't care who uses them as long as they are within guidelines but in reality--you can always tell.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    You keep telling yourself that. Trust me--there are NO good fake tails. I don't care who uses them as long as they are within guidelines but in reality--you can always tell.
    Come to a Saddlebred show. I'll bet you couldn't tell. A good switch is really expensive (thousands of dollars) and the grooms have the installation down to an art. They even do manes.

In all honesty, I actually couldn't tell on Concept! It was well installed! At the APHA World Show, we would put in 3-5 small swatches, braided in along the dock. So i do know how to install well and do a fine tail braid over it so that nothing shows, but too much does tend to wrap around the hocks. I also learned to do the winter tail sock with once a week tail conditioning and that produced the long, full tail that my eventing/dressage horse was often complimented on. At one show, General Burton only had one comment on my dressage score sheet - that my horse had a gorgeous tail! I was looking for more instructive comments but, hey, that wasn't bad either!!! LOL!

I don't care who uses them as long as they are within guidelines but in reality--you can always tell.
    I agree. I feel like if I had to pick through pictures I could tell who had the fake tail every time. Goes for walkers/gaited too...I think if you spend years looking at how a horse swishes that tail and how it moves, the second the horse starts going it just looks 'wrong'.

Just for giggles, picture of one of my 'favorite' fake tails I saw at a show last year on a grey and white paint.
    He was a lovely horse, unique color but this tail...well...
    (wierdest part was that it was an OPEN hunter show...not a stock horse circuit. But anyway).

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8935/faketail.jpg

Oh no they did NOT do that!

gimme a break! LOL

Does anyone have the link so I can see the tail everyone is talking about that Concept wore? Other treads have mentioned it.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Come to a Saddlebred show. I'll bet you couldn't tell. A good switch is really expensive (thousands of dollars) and the grooms have the installation down to an art. They even do manes.
    Agree! Those are some GOOD fake tails.

Even though I don't do the saddle horse thing anymore, I still go to the World Championships every year...a few years ago, they stopped one of the big Friday or Saturday night classes because a horse stepped on his fake tail and pulled it out. The class was held while his groom/trainer came in and replaced it. So just look at what you guys in HB have to look forward to!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have a yearling I wanted to show this year in HB, but his pasture mate ate his tail off.....

We tried and tried to find a fake tail to cut down and blend....but ya....it wasnt in the cards.

I have a gelding in the barn...who I am told ALL the time has a fake tail...I now tell people to go ahead and touch it...as it is FAR from fake.... God just blessed him with a tail that looks like it should be fake....wish my others had that issue!

I agree a thicker tail can enhance the over all look, but with HB, how many babies have long/thick tails as it is? I'm asking this seriously because I have no clue. I would think fake tails would stand out even more so. When I was at Devon watching the Pros, I saw a few that were obvious and a few that were done really well, it was hard to tell. I think not only does it balance out a horse, but it also quiets down those who normally swish their tails a lot. Better than nerving tails, IMO.

That's the way my pinto's tail is colored. If I ever got her a fake it would have to be like that too (fortunately she grows enough tail for 6 horses, so if anybody needs white or black let me know!).

She's half arab, so I dont bang it, but if I did it would probably look fake like that horses because the black hairs are much thicker than the white ones.