The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Horse from "Turning for home" & NJ TB Rescue found at Auction- Shipping $$ needed

Sorry if this was a repeat.... but this critter (big bay gelding, http://www.ac4h.com/ac4havailablehorses.htm) looked lovely so I looked at his pedigree (instead of studying) and found this:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/my+boy+rocky
    " Owner: Faitte Farm
    Breeder: Giles Cook
    State Bred: PA
    Winnings: 6 Starts: 1 - 2 - 1, $50,838

Sold through New Holland auction, purchased by Pa. broker for slaughter. Former Philadelphia Park, Turning for Home Program, owner donated horse that was placed with South Jersey TB Retirement by the Philadelphia Park Turning for Home Program. Saved from the broker lot just prior to shipping to slaughter April 23rd, 2010 by AC4H Rescue. Will not be returning to Turning for Home OR South Jersey TB Retirement.

Foaled May 30, 2003
    Updated 09/08/07"

WAY TO GO AC4H. This is why we STILL need rescues in the kill pens.
    The horse looks lovely... a little nervous under saddle but wouldn't you be if you've been through the same garbage he has. Any takers?

ETA: A Cother has offered a home- read on about how you can help.
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Jun. 18, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Has to be a story here. I rely upon COTH to dig it up.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I feel for the horse but am not surprised if South Jersey TB was involved.

Not to drudge up the past, but they were absolutely awful to deal with back with my whole debacle.

I hope the horse gets the home he deserves!!

Edited to add: I just looked up his pedigree. I havent seen another horse with Rollicking in it. I have one very lovely horse who just turned 13 since he was 3 by Rollicking.

hmm...

hes a very nice looking TB so thats a great pull by AC4H!! he's going to make someone a lovely project!

bump for this really nice critter who needs a home

I don't think that first video is of him. The third one is though, and he looks quiet and rhythmic. Very nice boy! I'm also not surprised by the rescues involved.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Oh my lord, I didn't look at the third video. Wow. He is LOVELY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYyPAHzRjw

How I wish there was room in the feed budget for one more... and the time to ride, too

What a lovely boy.

I could give him a permanent home,my pony is very lonely on his own.

But I cant afford to ship him ect,ect.

Hope he gets the loving permanent home he surely deserves..
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

FP, I thought the same thing. That canter has 'hunter ring' all over it. He is a very cute mover, and threw in a flying change at the end. Very cute horse.

If you had him, you'd have to get another horse and name it "Bullwinkle", of course.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Not sure I understand. Are you saying the owner Turning for Home donated the horse to South Jersey TB after it was purchased from a broker who bought the horse New Holland?

Then South Jersey TB sold it again to a broker and that's where AC4H bought him?

Turning for home placed many of their donated horses with the NJ rescue. The NJ rescue then adopted them out to people who sent the horses to New Holland. This is not the first time it has happened. I am not positive but I believe/hope that Turning for home has cut their ties with the NJ group.

Well...what can we do? Fernie do you want this horse? He is lovely. Been a while since we got together and made someone really happy - I'll donate the first $50.00 to shipping.

Anyone else?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I am not positive but I believe/hope that Turning for home has cut their ties with the NJ group.
    As of a couple months ago, they were still working together:
    http://eightbelleslegacy.net/index.php?article=1048.0

Barbara Luna, who worked at another rescue, runs Turning for Home and has come on COTH to defend other horses that AC4H has found. It wasn't pretty.

EqTrainer, I love where you are going. I adore this horse- maybe next spring I can fit another in, but not right now. I wish that wasn't so, but I don't have time to ride the greenie at home now. This gelding is just lovely, and if he's sound, will probably go very far with a talented rider. I don't have any money to chip in for him, but do have lots of good karma.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Well...what can we do? Fernie do you want this horse? He is lovely. Been a while since we got together and made someone really happy - I'll donate the first $50.00 to shipping.

Anyone else?
    If someone from COTH can give him a good home, I am happy to chip in for shipping.

I, too, will help with shipping. Please PM me when someone is willing to take him on.

Last year another boarder at my barn got a horse off the track to keep it from going to New Holland. The horse needed at least six months of rest for a bowed tendon. The boarder knew someone at SJ TB and they said they would take the horse and give it the rest it needed. The boarder went back there to look at horses to adopt for jumping and they put her on a horse that was dead lame at the walk. Then they wanted her to ride the same horse she donated less than two weeks ago. And adopt it for jumping.

She was in awe of their guile and/or stupidity?

I've heard many stories about Erin, none of them positive, mostly from equine professionals. Buyer beware.

Ok, I am going to PM ferny. If she wants the horse let's change the title of the thread and get Him shipped, its been a rough week, let's do something positive to end it
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I wondered why Barbara L. was not commenting on this thread when she is posting on other forums... I guess if it happens regularly... I can see why she would keep a low profile, but that sure puts a black eye on her organization. Obviously, some reviews of her partners is needed. I remember the mess involving SJ. Ugh!!

Fernie wants this guy... Let's get going on getting shipping together!!!
    ---