The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone using Smartpak's Bug Off?*****Update 7/10

Not sure what's changed, but my as soon as my horse starts to sweat the green heads are all over him even though I've sprayed with Pyranha. I've used Pyranha in years past with good results. This year is horrible with the flies and my horse twitches, kicks and bites himself constantly. I've been thinking about trying a feed through. Does anyone have any experience with Bug Off?
    Last edited by skyy; Jul. 10, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

A lot of the flies that we are having trouble with are much more sight flies, not scent flies. I *think* the greenheads are similar in that regard to the deer flies and horseflies, so the feed-through isn't going to help either. A fly sheet is about your only option.

I haven't used the SmartPak Bug Off but I am using Horse Tech's Buggzo. It's not been a full month. At first I didn't think it was doing anything but the last week, or so, I think I see a small difference. It's not 100%. I still use fly sheets and masks. Wet or sweaty horses seem to be a magnet for these beasts.

I started my horse on BugOff in late April or early May. In May I remember hand grazing her and she was only swishing her tail occasionally while I was swatting at bugs around me much more frequently, so I'm thinking it's doing some good. She's been at the vet hospital for weeks for an unrelated purpose, so I don't know much firsthand info for that time.

SmartPak will send several samples free for your horse to try. My mare thought it was a treat while another horse was not impressed so do try the samples first. At that time her samples came with a "get a month free with autoship" card, so you could call and ask about that.

My horse won't eat it

I have my 4 horses plus 2 boarders on it and it definitely helps! I also do the St. Gabriel's Flyswatter granules and they wear fly sheets at night. The fly population is definitely reduced this year though.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

the main point of these kinds of feed thrus is that the kill the files in the poo thus reducing fly population so i am not sure that it matters what type of fly it is.....

mbm, really, is that how it works? I just ordered Bug-Off from SmartPak but if I'm the only one in the barn who uses it, then it'll be useless, no?

For some reason I thought the ingredients give the horse's skin/coat an off-smell (like us sweating out the garlic...) and thus making it unattractive for flies.
    I can call SmartPak and ask but if someone already knows how exactly this supplement works, please share!

from smartpak website:

"This special pelleted formula includes Garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar and Brewer?s Yeast to discourage flies from landing on or biting your horse. It also provides Diatomaceous Earth to put a dent in the breeding fly populations on your farm"

maybe it is just me that thinks the big selling point is that it kills the flies (diatomaceous earth dissallows the flies from making exoskeleton)..

i am not sure the other stuff really works.... but i do know the diatomaceous earth does.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    from smartpak website:

"This special pelleted formula includes Garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar and Brewer?s Yeast to discourage flies from landing on or biting your horse. It also provides Diatomaceous Earth to put a dent in the breeding fly populations on your farm"

maybe it is just me that thinks the big selling point is that it kills the flies (diatomaceous earth dissallows the flies from making exoskeleton)..

i am not sure the other stuff really works.... but i do know the diatomaceous earth does.

Then it's based more on making the horse smell/taste unappealing. There is a difference between a product like Equitrol that kills the eggs in the manure than a product like this that contains ingredients meant to be sweat out and make the horse unappealing to scent type flies.

Well, it's been a few weeks since my big guy has been on the Smartpak Bugoff and I've got to tell you, I think it's making a difference. My trainer even commented in my lesson the other day that he seems to be less bothered. It used to be that as soon as he started to sweat he'd be attacked by the flies. He'd shake his head so much it would be hard to find a distance! Some of them do still land on him but they don't stay so I don't think they're biting. Even a little help makes a big difference!

I had a similar experience with springtime garlic, went with them because it's so cheap. I was desperate, fly spray and fly predators and an Epps trap don't do a thing for the horse, deer and greenhead flies. My poor horse was really suffering having to stand in the shed at all times. His back legs started swelling up from stomping and probably standing around in the shed all the time didn't help either. Anyway after a few weeks on the garlic, I can actually ride my horse again. Now we also did have a mini drought in that time with temps in the 100s so it could have also been the weather. But even now that it's raining again, I can still work with the horses without getting chased all over the farm by the bugs.

In the past, I had used the Springtime Garlic during the warmer months. This year after having purchased several jars of it, my mare decided she wasn't eating her feed with it. Luckily, a couple of other boarders were starting their horses on it, so I sold it to them. I then got a sample of Horse Tech's Buggzo. My mare are it right out of my hand, so I ordered some of that. I also use Fly Predators. I think anything I can do to try and keep the fly population down is good. I also have a fly mask and sheet for my mare(she is on pasture board).