The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mullen vs. happy mouth

I have a mare who really LOVES her mullen, though recently she's been putting her tongue over the bit if she gets frustrated with something new, or if she thinks we should be done for the day. Mares!

Since she does best if I have a couple bits I can switch back and forth as she gets a bit too used to one in particular, I thought maybe a happy mouth mullen would be a good choice. She's not a bit chewer, so no issues there.

A couple questions though. How fat are the plain, non-shaped, mullens? How flexible are they really? As in, will it bend into a bit of a curve, or does it really just stay as a straight bar?

I would love to try a Nathe or Duo, but the money for that is just not there.

I have a mullen mouth (looks like two little bumps near the center...not "plain bar" which you are looking for) BUT I have the pamphlet that comes with the bit right here.

They're all just a twisted steel wire core,,,so there is some flex to the bit, unlike a solid stainless straight bar. You have to flex it pretty dang hard to really bend it though...its more like a fair amount of 'give' is all.

As for size...it says here that the Plain Bar Mouth comes in a 'thin mouth' at 15mm. The photo looks like your standard rubber mouth sized diameter though if that helps. They're not super thick but not super thin.

I haven't tried mullens with my horse, but have used Happy Mouths. He absolutely LOVED his happy mouth, was always in a rush to get it in his mouth, reaching for it as soon as it was within reach. However, he tends to have a dry mouth - he's one of those horses who doesn't even salivate over treats - and the Happy Mouth was drying his mouth out even more. They're a pretty inexpensive test to see how they work, so I say go for it, and hopefully your horse will salivate more and it'll work well for you!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The lack of flex probably won't work for her since there is no curve to the bit itself. Oh well!

My mare loved her curved stainless steel mullen mouth but did not care for the happy mouth (to light, to drying, and not enough bend)

The happy mouth is not flexible. (At least, not at normal usage temperatures.)

You might consider the Myler 02 bit. It's mullen-y, and instead of a joint it rotates. I haven't tried one (couldn't find a 4 3/4) but it struck me as another interesting bit in that group.

On the other hand, because the curve is significant, it might not be the bit I'd choose for a horse that puts her tongue over. Or maybe it would give her more tongue room. Hard to say.

Unfortunately, it's not a cheap bit either.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The tongue-over-the-bit doesn't happen too often, and I really think it's probably because she's not got *quite* enough room in the mullen.

My other thought was to take one of the Flexi with the shaped mouth and find a way to remove the shaped parts. It would be an inexpensive experiment, and the Flexi ones are supposed to be softer than the happy mouth bits, or so I have read anyway.

The nathe is extremely flexible. I found mine used for about half the cost of new, keep an eye on ebay (found mine on Ebay.uk - still cheaper even with shipping). My horse had been a chronic tooth grinder prior to owning him and he seemed very comfortable in this bit after making the switch.