The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Conspiracy Theory...

Evil forces are at work...

Sugar Cubes are no longer being sold at certain grocery
    stores
    Walmart
    Winn Dixie
    Piggly Wiggly

Horses of the world, unite, before it's too late and sugar cubes are gone forever.
    "I can't help but think good horsemanship has to
    do with the mind." Maria Bertram, Mansfield Park by
    Jane Austen.

You can make your own, essentially, in the form of 'Rock Candy'.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...rockcandy.html

Publix still carries them! And I make a point of expressing my gratitude loudly and frequently at every trip.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Not to get this thread off on a political rant, but:

This is another lesson in the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Every time some do good idiot causes a law or restrictive action to right some perceived wrong, there will be consequences to those who caused no harm.

CSSJR

Protect your privacy. Replace Google with IXQUICK at www.ixquick.com.

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

It's a conspiracy. Part of the government's war against childhood obesity, tied in with the removal of sugar-laden snacks and sodas from school vending machines. Since many barns have children present, they may be tempted into making wrong choices because they may be mooching the sugar cubes. By taking away sugar cubes, our concerned government will ensure that we offer only healthy carrots at the barn. Our horses may suffer, and our choices may be curtailed, but it's for the sake of the chillllllldren.

I, on the other hand, think the way big stores operate, there may be a more pragmatic answer to the riddle of why they discontinue any one product, that is the level of demand for that product, or lack of it.

How many sugar cube boxes do they sell in the time frame they could sell any one other product in that shelf space?
    If other product is outselling those sugar cubes, the computer spits them out as non performing or obsolete and so no more sugar cubes ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I, on the other hand, think the way big stores operate, there may be a more pragmatic answer to the riddle of why they discontinue any one product, that is the level of demand for that product, or lack of it.

How many sugar cube boxes do they sell in the time frame they could sell any one other product in that shelf space?
    If other product is outselling those sugar cubes, the computer spits them out as non performing or obsolete and so no more sugar cubes ordered.
    Yes, I would think this is the more likely scenario. Not that anything we don't like is a conspiracy, which I am 99.999999% sure OP meant tongue in cheek.

There's a very low profit margin in grocery stores, believe it or not, so they have to have products that are selling well. Not taking up space with a non-performer.

I have had no trouble getting them at Superstore in Canada. Frequently cheaper if bought in multiples.

I am in big trouble if they become unavailable as my dressage horse runs on sugar cubes.

cssutton...I'm not following on the do good idiot thing???....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Mine are addicted to black licorice. And because it smells they can spot a mark at 50 ft. They are like scud missiles homing in on a pocket of the stuff.
    At Christmas they get imported black licorice.

How would this be the gov. trying to protect against childhood obestity... I mean was I the *only* one not going around eating sugar cubes when I was younger?! ICK. I hate plain sugar LOL.

White and pink peppermints and mine know exactly whick pocket they are in on any given day. I think its the smell too.

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    Every time some do good idiot causes a law or restrictive action to right some perceived wrong, there will be consequences to those who caused no harm.
    Who is this "do good idiot", and what law or action are you talking about?
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    How would this be the gov. trying to protect against childhood obestity... I mean was I the *only* one not going around eating sugar cubes when I was younger?! ICK. I hate plain sugar LOL.
    You expect rational thought from our government???
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

There's a very low profit margin in grocery stores, believe it or not, so they have to have products that are selling well. Not taking up space with a non-performer.
    So if you want your favorite store to carry sugar cubes, buy out their entire stock every time you go! And if they're out, ask a manager to order more.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

When granulated sugar becomes scarce or rationed, then I'll believe the govt has some involvement with sugar cubes and fat kids. Till then, I'd chalk it up to basic supply/demand. The stores don't move it off their shelves fast enough to continue stocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses
    I mean was I the *only* one not going around eating sugar cubes when I was younger?! ICK. I hate plain sugar LOL.
    Nope, same here. My brother and friends always ate sugar cubes and would often do "sugar shots" at restaurants if there were sugar packets available on the table. I'm not big on sweet stuff anyway, so... yeah... yuck!
    Jer 29: 11-13

Anyone remember going to get your polio vaccine on a sugar cube? I thought that was the most wonderful treat.

Probably because we never had sugar cubes at home - just loose sugar.

If I want to give my horses sugar I just give them a starlight mint. Mostly sugar, but enough mint to make them go "whoooo."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

You are sadly mistaken when you believe that actual turnover of a product effects the availability in the store.
    In reality, the decisions are mage at Coorporate HQ, 5 states over, by people who have no earthly idea of what people really want.

And yes, products everyone loved and bought suddenly disappear from the shelves. I suppose when a store is out of them long enough the numbers on the printouts reflect that indeed product X is no longer selling in location P, ergo can be stricken from the next delivery.....

maybe it's a niche for the local tack store....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Kroger and Publix still carries them in my area (GA)

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You are sadly mistaken when you believe that actual turnover of a product effects the availability in the store.
    In reality, the decisions are mage at Coorporate HQ, 5 states over, by people who have no earthly idea of what people really want.

And yes, products everyone loved and bought suddenly disappear from the shelves. I suppose when a store is out of them long enough the numbers on the printouts reflect that indeed product X is no longer selling in location P, ergo can be stricken from the next delivery.....

maybe it's a niche for the local tack store....
    Coming from retail experience, I can tell you that demand has a direct correlation to supply. I can also tell you that demand in one location will have effect on supply in that location. Not every decision is made at the corporate level. If you want to experiment, pick a product and travel to the stores in your area and in the area of your friends/family to see who carries it and who does not, and in which forms/colors/styles. An example is Kellog's protein water mix in Kiwi/Strawberry flavor. Sold in the Walmart in Charleston, SC. Not sold in the Walmart near me.

Such that, I do not buy sugar cubes, but I am going to go to my local Walmart tomorrow just to see if they still carry it.