The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can an American earn a Bereiter?

Let's face it, America does not have a comprehensive system for teaching riders to train and coach. But Germany does...

Could I (an American) go to the German Riding School in Warendorf and earn my Bereiter? Anyone done this?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Smile

There are some American riders who have done so.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Do you know if they went to the German Riding School, or was it due to competition results?

Do you know of one that I could perhaps e-mail and get some more information about the process?

Absolutely. I know a few who took some time to study in Germany and earned their bereiter status. I don't know the details of their experience, only that they spent a substantial amount of time living, working and learning there.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Well it is certainly possible but the apprenticeship takes 3 yrs plus I figure you'd have some paperwork to apply for in order to get a working permit.The schooling can happen with any certified Pferdewirtschaftsmeister.Nowadays you would finish Pferdewirt Schwerpunkt Reiten but the meaning is the same.Best approach might be to contact the FN with an inquiry as the APO is changeing every now and then.Much like the LPO which organizes the shows.

Also, the Chamber of Agriculture in each state overseas the examination preceedings, as well as the agricultural aspects of the barn life. They, too might have some info for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Is it possible to work with a Pferdewirtschaftsmeister here in the states (are there any?) and go and take the test in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Is it possible to work with a Pferdewirtschaftsmeister here in the states (are there any?) and go and take the test in Germany?
    We do have a few here...

http://www.topriding.net/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    I would say no as this is a so called dual system. Appart from your practical work you have to attend school as far as I know. Plus it should be at least two tests with 1,5 years appart.
    Those Pferdewirtschaftsmeister living in the US are not supervised by the FN (And since this is an official profession aeducation I would say it is also supervised by some or the other governmental authority - I'd guess the ministery of aggriculture).
    I know of people over here that do this kind of education/test without these three years, but they have to prove a lot of things on their own education. e.g. a certain time that they worked as a horse (riding) person with written "recommendations" of the emnployer. etc.
    Bottomline: you have to figure out how to partly immegrate to germany and spend quite a long time. Plus they have tests/Checks prior to the apprenticeship because not everyone will make it (You have to be able to do a good Class L dressage (should be level 2 US) and equivalent in jumping. And you have to do both as far as I know in that apprenticeship jumping and dressage.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Requirements leaflet; http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/TOP-FN-S...im_Pferdesport

(It's a lot easier to read if you have Google Chrome with the automatic translation.)

Professional and trainer

Trainer Riding
    Requirements and admission requirements for the
    Courses: assistant coach in the Riding,
    Horse Guide, Trainer C, B and A base and competitive riding as well as to trainers in health sport.
    free of charge, plus shipping
    > free download
    > Order a printed copy

Coach Drive
    Requirements and admission requirements for the
    Courses: assistant coach in the Riding,
    Team leader, Trainer C, B and A competitive sport.
    free of charge, plus shipping
    > free download
    > Order a printed copy

Trainer Voltigieren
    Anforderungen und Zulassungsvoraussetzungen für die
    Ausbildungsgänge: Trainerassistent im Voltigiersport,
    Trainer C, B und A Basis- und Leistungssport.
    kostenfrei, zzgl. Versandkosten
    > kostenloser Download
    > Druckversion bestellen

Die Berufsausbildung zum Pferdewirt
    Detaillierte Informationen über die staatliche Berufsausbildung zum ""Pferdewirt Reiten"" (Bereiter FN) und zum ""Pferdewirt Zucht & Haltung"".
    kostenfrei, zzgl. Versandkosten
    > kostenloser Download
    > Druckversion bestellen
    > unser Buchtipp

Verzeichnis der anerkannten Ausbildungsbetriebe
    Bundesweites Verzeichnis der staatlich anerkannten Ausbildungsbetriebe für Pferdewirte beider Schwerpunkte. Nicht als Druckversion erhältlich
    kostenfrei > kostenloser Download

List of approved training companies
    Nationwide list of state-approved training establishments of both grooms priorities. Not available in print
    free > free download
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jun. 13, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    I would say no as this is a so called dual system. Appart from your practical work you have to attend school as far as I know. Plus it should be at least two tests with 1,5 years appart.
    Those Pferdewirtschaftsmeister living in the US are not supervised by the FN (And since this is an official profession aeducation I would say it is also supervised by some or the other governmental authority - I'd guess the ministery of aggriculture).
    I know of people over here that do this kind of education/test without these three years, but they have to prove a lot of things on their own education. e.g. a certain time that they worked as a horse (riding) person with written "recommendations" of the emnployer. etc.
    Bottomline: you have to figure out how to partly immegrate to germany and spend quite a long time. Plus they have tests/Checks prior to the apprenticeship because not everyone will make it (You have to be able to do a good Class L dressage (should be level 2 US) and equivalent in jumping. And you have to do both as far as I know in that apprenticeship jumping and dressage.

The only way to find out is to contact - not the FN - but a Chamber of Agriculture (landwirtschaftskammer), any state (bundesland) has one. Those are the people who oversee the examinations.

There are regulations about a meister/Master keeping apprentices. But I am not familiar with those, I am sure they don't apply to barns outside of Germany.

So to get your 'Bereiter' you have to plan on staying at least 2 years, with lousy pay, long hours etc...
    On the plus side, you will be at a show about every weekend.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

And I am guessing you need to be pretty fluent in German as well.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    ...So to get your 'Bereiter' you have to plan on staying at least 2 years, with lousy pay, long hours etc...
    On the plus side, you will be at a show about every weekend.
    Well my guess is more that you will be at home every weekend looking after the young horses left at home !

The pretty fleunt in German thing I guess would be overcome quit fast if you are really forced to speak german ...
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

For Germans there is a special artical working
    Artical 45 it is I think.

If you worked at least 4,5 years as a Pferdewirt and have prove of that you can a apply to do the test. I have no idea if thats working for you but I do know some people who did their test like that.

You have to be really good, because i got the impression that the judges are a little bit harder on the do-it-yourself people.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Well my guess is more that you will be at home every weekend looking after the young horses left at home !
    I guess it depends on the setup, either way you are working.
    met a girl she was learning from a trader, naturally every weekend they loaded up the truck with the merchendize, she rode some, but she did the grooming, too.

The pretty fleunt in German thing I guess would be overcome quit fast if you are really forced to speak german ...
    LOL, nothing that can't be cured with a couple of beers.