The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

tnwannabe Guest

Default Dressage on the Cumberland Plateau??

I posted my first post on the Off Course thread, but I guess it would have been better suited here... instead of being redundant I'm going to post a link and hope you'll read it...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=261233

Where on the Cumberland Plateau as that is a big area? That info will help people help you. I grew up on the Cumberland Plateau in Sewanee, TN and now live in Chattanooga. The University of the South has a lovely facility and they may able to point you in the right direction. Also, you have http://www.mtdcta.org/ and http://www.chattdcta.freeservers.com/. They be useful to contact.

Welcome to Tennessee.

Happy Riding,
    Jessie & Bosco

tnwannabe Guest

Silly me, I guess that might help, huh? I'm up the 127 corridor in between Crossville and Jamestown. I said on the other thread that where we live is a geographical oddity... 1hr 45 min from everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by chebeau View Post
    I grew up on the Cumberland Plateau in Sewanee, TN and now live in Chattanooga. The University of the South has a lovely facility and they may able to point you in the right direction.
    I second this. I am a Sewanee alum, and the coach there is wonderful, and I'm sure will help you if she knows anyone. I did not ride dressage while I was there (picked it up later), so I can't help you myself, but PM me if you like, and I'll give you the coach's info.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

That is beautiful countryside, best of luck to you finding dressage up there

Quote Originally Posted by tnwannabe View Post
    Silly me, I guess that might help, huh? I'm up the 127 corridor in between Crossville and Jamestown. I said on the other thread that where we live is a geographical oddity... 1hr 45 min from everywhere!
    howdy neighbor...

Kathy Fox is your best bet there in Crossville
    she rides out of here:
    http://www.cddthoroughbreds.com/aboutus.cfm
    her credentials are listed there as well...she the real deal...one of only a few if you know what I mean...she was also British "young rider of the year" in 1979...rode/showed Badminton twice I believe, rides PsG with her horse and has her USDF medals...I just love her(obviously) and she'd do a good job for you and your child not suffering from an overwhelming ego

Ms. Cathy Fox hails from Bermuda, and has experience riding with the Bermuda Equestrian Federation. The B.E.F. was formed in 1976 to enable local riders to compete for their country internationally and holds FEI recognized international dressage and show jumping competitions in Bermuda. While riding with the Bermuda Equestrian Federation, Ms. Fox had the opportunity to travel to Winnipeg in 1999 to compete in the Pan Am Games with Chris Taylor and Kevin Edward on Bermuda’s dressage team. As she is an Olympic hopeful for London 2012, Cavalli Stables is honored to allow Ms. Fox to use our facility to offer lessons and clinical instruction in dressage and jumping.

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Jun. 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

tnwannabe Guest

Actually, I found Cavalli sables during a search online this morning and was just coming on here to see if anyone had any experience with it... it looks like it's about 40 minutes away, by far closer than anything else I've found. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tnwannabe View Post
    Actually, I found Cavalli sables during a search online this morning and was just coming on here to see if anyone had any experience with it... it looks like it's about 40 minutes away, by far closer than anything else I've found. Thanks!
    we have had Cathy as friends and a hay customer for about a decade and the new stables there (which was C.'s old farm) for about 5 yrs...good folks and easy access off of the interstate...

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Tnwannabe, I sent you a PM!

Hey, tnwannabe, my parents are retired in Monterey. We went on a trail ride at this farm once:

http://www.circlekhorsepavilion.com/

Not a dressage facility at all, but a nice farm, attractive well-cared for critters.

I totally agree that this part of TN is 2 hours from anywhere. It is QUIET.

Good luck finding what you are looking for. You are more likely to find Mennonite woodworking than dressage training. But at least board should be reasonable!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09