The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Insurance.......a good reason!

Luckily I insured my horse trailer when I bought a new one a few years ago. Never had before......but this one was expensive. However I had to get a commercial policy for my truck in order to do it......and it ain't cheap.

However, I was driving down the interstate last week and had a blowout on the trailer. The rubber came off (like it does to Semi Trucks)......and the stupid man behind me (obviously too close) ran over it. When I pulled over to fix the tire he pulled behind me. Thinking he was going to help change the tire (no!!) he wanted my insurance info. There was NOTHING visibly wrong with his car and he said it drove okay, but a piece of plastic in the wheelwell seemed knocked a small bit crooked.

Long story short, he turned in the "repair bill" to my insurance company for $1000!!! I argued with my insurance company he should have some fault for hitting it in a four lane highway with no traffic, but they said I am liable for something that "comes off my vehicle".........

I never thought about all those truck tires I see on highways........now I know why semi's have those mud flaps!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

My 30' trailer is insured through Geico (didn't have to get a commercial policy).

Definitely worth it!

Glad everyone is safe.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

The insurance on the truck doesn't cover things like that?

Glad you are okay!

I also have insurance on my trailer through Allstate which is who insures my truck as well. I did not have to have any sort of different insurance on my truck due to the trailer. You might want to look into that!

I have State Farm and the liability coverage for my truck covers the trailer. I did add an extra trailer coverage so damage to my trailer will be covered.
    So your situation would have been covered even if I didn't have the additional trailer coverage.
    I do not have commercial coverage on my truck.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's your truck policy that will pay out the claim because liability coverage is what would apply in this case. When you are towing your trailer, you're covered from a liability standpoint by your truck insurance. Trailer insurance covers damage, theft, etc - i.e. if a tree falls on it, if an uninsured motorist hits it, if it's stolen, etc. Definitely a good thing to have in any event....because how many people could afford to just go out and buy a new trailer if the one they have now was wrecked/stolen/etc? (not to mention if it's financed, the lender will require insurance)

Maybe I'll do a little shopping for price and coverages........although insurance in FL is horrible in most ways. Can you believe no one will cover ONE house on 10+ acres, but no problem covering one house on one acre? What is the difference?
    No "gentleman farmer's insurance" in FL........and I live closer to GA than to the coast!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

In my state, the trailer is covered by the insurance of the towing vehicle. In other words, I never bought special coverage for the trailer. The only thing my agent said I wasn't covered for was if the trailer was stolen/damaged when *not* hitched to an insured tow vehicle.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

MayS I have a ?

If you go to a multi day show, unhitch and park your trailer in the back forty during the show, which many of us have to do, and it gets stolen, is it covered?
    Technically, your trailer was not hitched to the truck...
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

How did he prove that it was debris from your tyre that caused his damage ? Just curious.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    MayS I have a ?

If you go to a multi day show, unhitch and park your trailer in the back forty during the show, which many of us have to do, and it gets stolen, is it covered?
    The trailer is covered as long as it's hitched to an insured vehicle. If you're worried about theft when it's unhitched, you can get extra coverage for that.

I've never owned a trailer worth more than a few thousand dollars, so I just don't think much about theft when unhitched. Maybe I've also been lucky? Nobody I know personally has had someone attempt to steal their horse trailer. Maybe it's not as common in some areas?

I do like a good hitch lock. I also like to wrap my chains tight around the jack post and padlock it all together, making thew chains impossible to use and the jack very hard to raise out of the way. But between the deductible and cost of annual trailer insurance policy, in my situation buying that additional coverage didn't make sense.

MayS I have a ?

No, in this case, the trailer would not be covered as it was not attached to the truck. When my trailer was new, I had trailer insurance to cover things like this. I was told though, that when it was attached to the truck, the truck insurance would take over.

MayS I have a ?

A comprehensive policy for your trailer is very cheap. (about $150.00 per $10000.00 per annum depending on where you live etc. No commercial policy required)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I STRONGLY suggest trailer coverage! Last month a tree branch dropped onto my trailer during a windstorm. Luckily I left the policy on my trailer even after I'd paid it off, appraiser for the insurance company came out. I had $4,500 worth of damage to the trailer, with my $50 deductible I'd say the insurance was worth it. There's no way I would have gotten it fixed without the insurance check!!