The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Ariat half chap dilemma!

Thanks to the post on half chaps, I have discovered (to my horror!) that the Ariat Concord half chaps I JUST ordered have suede on the inside (as in inside LEG not inside the chap!!)

PHEW! Thanks guys! Quickly sent an email to the company asking to halt the order for me. My mare's coat simply won't tolerate the suede half chaps and I'm trying to replace my cheap crappy leather gaiters.

Has anyone had any success with the ariat close contact or the pro crown models? They are about $10 different in terms of price so I'd like to pick the best option. The CC ones look like they'd "fit" a lot better, but does that mean they are more likely to sag? My Dublin suede ones are shockers!

The "reinforced panel" of the CC chaps - leather? suede? concrete? what does this mean!

What about sizing? Are they the same, or does the stiffer Pro Crown require a smidge larger in the sizing?

Argh! Can't BELIEVE I almost bought half chaps w suede on them, after deciding to bite the bullet a little and get leather ones.

I love my Ariat Close Contact half chaps. They have had minimal wrinkling at the ankle (I was afraid of them "dropping" like boots and being too short/looking dumb). They aren't super duper soft and flexible leather and they're a decent thickness, so they retain their shape well. I'm not sure what the reinforced panel means...maybe that they made the inside part of the chap stronger to tolerate the wear?

Not sure about comparison to Pro Crowns since I've never had those...they do hold up better to wear and maintain their height and shape better than the all-around half chaps though.

I've had my pair for over 2 years now and they've held up really well with minimal care.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I have had the Ariat CC half chaps for about 5 years now, and love them. My only complaint is that they zip from the bottom up, and since I've had them a few years, they tend to unzip themselves a bit as you ride. It's easy to remedy though; just slip that snap through the loop at the end of the zipper and they'll stay up that way.

They do mold well to your leg, and like MG, I have no idea what the reinforced panel is. They've held up well though. I ride one horse 4-5 times a week.

Good luck!

Look into ProChaps.

I have the CC 1/2 chaps and I love them. Had them for about 2 years. My only complain, like some else, is the zipper. Since the zipper is plastic and zips from the bottom, I broke one of the zippers (the clasp at the bottom where you connect the two sides broke when I had spurs on) but had it replaced with a metal zipper and have zero complains about it now. The other leg still has the plastic zipper but it has now started falling when I ride if I don't tied something to zipper pull. I plan to have the zipper on this one replaced with a metal one also, as I have been very happy with that. The metal does not rub my horse or saddle at all.

I also have the close contact chaps. I do like them but can't stand the zipper. Since it zips from the bottom up, it tends to unzip while riding and the little clasp thingie doesn't always keep it up. It's also a pain to get the zip started it since it's at such an odd angle.

I actually have to zip my husband into his CCs... it's an akward angle, for sure. I much prefer my Rectiligne M. Decima full leather 1/2 chaps...

I, too, hate the bottom up zipper.

Much prefer my Grandprix half chaps.

I had the same issue w/the zipper (CC), and the bottom snap broke after 6-7 months. I decided that was my last Ariat purchase, and replaced them with a pair of leather Treadsteps that I've been very happy with.

It's a shame, because the leather was very nice.

If you're going to get a nice pair of half chaps, you may want to take a serious look at the non-Ariat options. There's a lot of good stuff in the same price range that seems to last longer (at least in my experience).

I actually prefer how the zipper zips *up* like a tall boot. I find with the ones that zip down, the end of the zipper bangs against my spur and makes an annoying jangling sound :-P They do take some practice to put on though and they definitely are NOT chaps to wear over jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    I had the same issue w/the zipper (CC), and the bottom snap broke after 6-7 months. I decided that was my last Ariat purchase, and replaced them with a pair of leather Treadsteps that I've been very happy with.

It's a shame, because the leather was very nice.

If you're going to get a nice pair of half chaps, you may want to take a serious look at the non-Ariat options. There's a lot of good stuff in the same price range that seems to last longer (at least in my experience).
    Not sure which "bottom snap" you mean since the CC only has a snap on the top? I had a snap bust on mine too, but I took them to a cobbler who fixed them for me in less than 10 minutes for $3

I don't have either of the models you mentioned but I do have the Ariat Cameo half chaps, which I believe are discontinued. Depending on your size you can still find them online for deep discounts. The velcro decoration thingie is kind of silly but does make them look "finished." They look OK if you don't put the decorative strip on as the velcro is low-profile and not fuzzy. The leather is smooth all around and substantial with an extra layer on the inside of the leg, no ribbing, no stretchy panels. They are a very snug fit on me and do not seem very stretchy (I have not had them for very long) -- I am very thin but have somewhat muscular calves and wear an XS. I believe these chaps run a bit smaller than other Ariat half chaps. They zip from top to bottom. They have an elongated Spanish top and look quite elegant; I have gotten numerous compliments on them.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

I got the ariat concords and was realllllly turned off by the suede. After trying on every other chap in the store I realized the concords were the best fit for me. I rode in them for the first time yesterday and was pretty pleased. And you know what? You can't even see the suede once you are on the horse! The leather is also very soft and the zipper seems pretty heavy duty. I also like the look of the spanish top.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

What's wrong with suede? Is it a look preference or function preference?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Running Fox has the Decima's on sale right now

http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=207

I loved them so much that I bought a "spare" pair to have for when my Dy'on's die. The Decima's went 4 years of hard abuse, wore them all day to muck stalls and rode a bunch of horses every day after. They only stretched after I decided to wear jeans with long johns and work boots to ride in instead of breeches and paddocks over the winter, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea. PS, Dy'on's are nice, but not worth the $$. They zip UP the back and can be awkward to put on....For the $ I'd get the Decima's and stay far away from anything Ariat

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Look into ProChaps.
    Agree....I bought the Ariat Crowne chaps last fall and they are already falling apart. Done with ariat.

Default I had one or the other...in cordovan of all colors

Make sure you get your sizing right--measure over whatever you are going to wear! They are not a soft leather and will not have a ton of give. Zipper didn't bother me at all--I must be the odd one.

I wouldn't buy them again, but I would buy the All Terrain ones again (of course I ordered a medium and needed a large, but I digress).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys, seems the zipper is a bit of a bugbear with the CC ones, so I might go with the Pro.

We don't have a lot of options in Australia, and trying to get stuff from the US is a bit of a nightmare at times with shipping. My current leather gaiters zip DOWN with a big thick zip, and the blooming zip climbs up my leg, and I end up with half the thing unzipped. Annoys me no end. The Dublin half chaps (which I got from the US, love to bits, and am very unhappy that I can no longer wear with this horse) zip from the bottom with a thin flimsy zipper and are so snug and secure!

I posted here a few weeks ago about my stirrup leathers rubbing my horse - well, I replaced them with leather leathers, and at least my saddle is now safe (nylon stitching wears holes in saddles and horses, apparently) but the suede half chaps are the actual culprit. I have had to go back to my unzippy gaiters to get the mare's side to heal!

This particular mare can not have anything "grippy" touching her skin. I've had to fully line everything with sheepskin as even saddle pad edges will rub and break the hair. Rugs are a personal favourite. I'll try and get some photos. She has a fantastic coat - white and sparkly, like diamonds if you see it up close. But because half her skin is pink (appaloosa), the hair is thin and she just rubs.

So it's sheepskin or smooth leather, all around. No suede.