The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pessoa Saddles?

Ok my trainer wants me to get a pessoa saddle (swears by them) and I'll have to get a used one that is in my price range. I cant sell my saddle intill after show season in 2 more months.....Can I find a pessoa that will fit me and my 5ft body frame? IM open to any other saddle brands out there BTW. 500 to 800ish price range.

If you get a Pessoa, try to find one that was made 5 years ago or more. The ones made after that are of lesser quality, IMO.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Maybe. I think you should sit in a bunch before you buy. Also, think what are your likes/dislikes about your current saddle, and go from there. And since you say you're 5ft, you may want to look into brands that offer a short flap.

How do I find a short flap?

Hi Tiffany,

You can ask the person selling the saddle to measure it from the stirrup barn to the bottom most edge of the saddle flap. For your height, you are probably looking for a length of about 13".

Also, I know you respect your trainer but I get worried about people making blanket statements such as "you need a Pessoa" without seeing if they fit you and your lovely mare. Pessoas, esp. the older ones, are nice, but they aren't the ticket for everybody. In your price range, you could also look at the Phillipe Fontaine saddles and the M. Toulouse ones. Good luck!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I used to have a Pessoa, I believe it was one of the first ones that was made when the company switched production from Europe and HATED IT.

I chalked up the problems at first to the saddle being new but when the saddle basically fell apart then I sent it back to Dover. I got a replacement and a year later it was still hard as a rock and was doing the same thing as the first saddle. I sent it back and got a BDH and have loved it since.

I no longer ride but my BDH is still downstairs and it is still beautiful :-)
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

I have a pessoa and adore it! I'm about 5'4", medium build (when I got it at least ) The most important thing though is to make sure you like your saddle no matter what your trainer says is the "best" saddle. It has to be one that's comfortable for you and your horse. When I was looking for a dressage saddle, my trainer recommended one saddle because she and her daughter both had it as well as a few students and they all loved it. I HATED it. So make sure you and your horse are happy
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Don't know a thing about Pessoas but I do know that you will be riding in your saddle so YOU better like it. My trainer loves County saddles and I hate them. If you do decide to get a new one, make sure you try several different brands.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

For your mare, you'll likely also want to look for a wide tree.

There are about 123,341,341 old threads on this subject of "old Pessoas v. new Pessoas", by the way.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

I've heard the same thing about newer Pessoas not being as good. My daughter's first saddle was a Pessoa, and it was good, but an older one at that. I would agree with the others that you should find one that you like and not one your trainer likes. My daughter's trainer loves Bates, so we got one. My daughter developed backaches from it. We liked the adjustable gullet, but the saddle just didn't agree with our daughter. She's use Pessoa, Bate, Ovation, Dover's brand (can't remember) and now she's now using an HDR that she won at a show and loves it. First saddle that really fit her and her horse well.

I "MIGHT" keep my saddle since I've been doing so well with it.....IDK?

It should be what fits you and your horse the best, not the brand that your trainer insists on, because it may not fit you or your horse comfortably, and if neither one of you are comfortable you will not be able to perform your best in the show ring.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare