The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to donate horse items/tack?

I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything good. If there has been a topic like this recently, please point me there .

I'm selling my horse and in the process, I need to be rid of quite a few horse related items. I will be selling a few things but some things won't be worth the energy (i.e. a couple of pairs of reins, a bridle, some bits, etc.) and I would rather donate them if possible.

We don't have any rescues that I know of locally (SW Florida), and there is the local Special Equestrians, but I haven't contacted them yet.

Just feeling around for some ideas. I'm willing to pay a small amount in shipping to a GOOD, DEPENDABLE rescues or other non-profit type barns, but would prefer not to spend too much money giving something away .

That's an easy choice! Sunkissed Acres Rescue (Lori is on this board) is one option. Sunkissed has a used tack shop to help raise funds and can use pretty much anything you can send. Another good one is Another Chance 4 Horses (Christy pops in once in a while), they have periodic tack sales.

There are a few more who are active on this board, are 501(c)3 status, and have good reputations.

Thanks for thinking of a rescue for your donated items.

Also, going to add newcanaanmountedtroop.com or call 203/966.0634

Here are the addresses:

Another Chance 4 Horses
    166 Station Rd
    Bernville, PA 19506

Sunkissed Acres
    536 Woods Road
    Summerville, GA 30747

Above are good suggestions. You should check your local therapeutic riding programs. You can also list the items on the giveaway forum here on COTH. The recipient will pay for the shipping.

Bluebonet Equine Humane Society in Texas is having a big fundraiser in a few months which includes an auction. Jenn is also on this board (the Jen who's house took a direct hit from a tornado).

http://www.specialhorses.org has links to all these rescues and others.

Keep in mind most, if not all of those places mentioned above are 501(c)3 status, meaning you can get a tax deduction for your donation. So while it may cost you $20 to ship some bits, bridles and reins, you might have valued them at considerably more. Depending upon what tax bracket you're in determines the actual $ amount of your deduction.

It's extremely thoughtful of you to do this.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I second Bluebonnet Equine Rescue. The expo is coming up soon and all used tack is much appreciated.

http://www.bluebonnethorseexpo.com/

You beat me to it!!!

Most of what Bluebonnet had already gotten for the Expo was destroyed in the last tornado, so they could certainly use it. Of course, the other groups can use the items as well, so it's your choice.

Please also remember to keep your shipping receipts - if you mail to a 501(c)3, your shipping is also tax deductible.

And THANK YOU!!

PS if you need any help, I'll be glad to get you addresses, whatever!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Please clarify what these rescues may want to re-sale -- like old nosebands ? hay bags ? bell boots ? * still will working velcro * any bits ? halter bridle holders ? old girths but still safe to use? TIA *** an which organization is closest to the Middle of the country?
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Jun. 14, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: addition
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Please clarify what these rescues may want to re-sale -- like old nosebands ? hay bags ? bell boots ? * still will working velcro * any bits ? halter bridle holders ? old girths but still safe to use? TIA *** an which organization is closest to the Middle of the country?
    Basically, anything that they can resell. So, all of the above, anything you've seen at used tack sales or consignment shops, and anything that you'd borrow or give to someone else to use.

Common sense though -- it might not be a great idea to include brushes (may have been used on a horse with rainrot), or used helmets (if a helmet has received an impact or is simply too old, it may not be fully protective).

Tack or clothing items that need to be repaired may or may not be sell-able. A missing button on a pair of breeches is easy for most buyers to fix, replacing a broken zipper may or may not be (fewer potential buyers will be interested), and obviously no one's going to buy a pair with gaping holes in the fabric. An old but quality saddle with cosmetic flaws should still have plenty of life in it, a cheap saddle with functional damage may not be worth repairing nor safe to use as-is. Again, common sense.

I'm speaking in general, not for any specific rescue, just to be clear. Some rescues may not have room for anything and everything. Of course, if you don't want to ship, you could always sell the items yourself online, through a yardsale or tacksale and send the donation to a rescue. The OP was looking for a place to take items shipped, and that's usually easier than selling it yourself.

RodeoRamsey Guest

We are holding an online benefit auction for a family involved in a terrible truck and horse trailer accident. The website is http://SchwabCollierBenefit.com

Hoofbeats, a 501(c)3 housed on the backside of the Virginia Horse Center has tack sales and could certainly use it.

sent you a pm about a girl who was just given her first horse that could really use a horse fairy

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    sent you a pm about a girl who was just given her first horse that could really use a horse fairy
    What exactly are you looking for ???
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by Passiton View Post
    Basically, anything that they can resell. So, all of the above, anything you've seen at used tack sales or consignment shops, and anything that you'd borrow or give to someone else to use.

Common sense though -- it might not be a great idea to include brushes (may have been used on a horse with rainrot), or used helmets (if a helmet has received an impact or is simply too old, it may not be fully protective).

Tack or clothing items that need to be repaired may or may not be sell-able. A missing button on a pair of breeches is easy for most buyers to fix, replacing a broken zipper may or may not be (fewer potential buyers will be interested), and obviously no one's going to buy a pair with gaping holes in the fabric. An old but quality saddle with cosmetic flaws should still have plenty of life in it, a cheap saddle with functional damage may not be worth repairing nor safe to use as-is. Again, common sense. ...
    What Passiton said. TIER has an annual Used Tack Sale (coming in July this year) of which 100% of the proceeds are used for the TIER residents.

Gently Used Tack donations are welcome all year round by most rescues as they can resell and use the fund for the horses in their care. And as DGRH stated, keep your shipping receipt if you ship as it is tax deductible also. The rescue should provide you with an In Kind Donation form. The donor values the items not the rescue. So, be sure to value your items reasonably so the IRS doesn't raise it's eyebrows and ask more questions.

We had a donation of a Cordura saddle in pretty bad shape. One stirrup, filthy, broken tree, fenders rolled up, etc. The person valued the saddle at $250!!! We couldn't give that away nor would we want to. There wasn't anything really salvageable on the saddle and we donated it to the dumpster. Can't tell you how many times we have received boxes of stuff from people just cleaning out their tack room of stuff they wouldn't even use, that had been sitting around gathering dust and dirt, etc. We even had a box that had a dead mouse in it along with several spiders.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Therapeutic riding barns usually love donated tack. Did you check the NARHA site to see who in your area might be giving therapeutic lessons?

Most rescues will take donated tack. Equihab, for example, accepts pretty much anything - even little things like hay bags or brushes. What can't be used on the horses is sold to raise money to go towards things like feed & medical expenses.

The only thing that isn't so useful are used helmets because it's hard sometimes to know if they've been hit before or not.

We love donated tack for our program and what we cannot use we save for auctions, tack sales or swaps with other groups.

We love bits, reins, halters, girths, pads, saddles...you name it. And rider clothing is ALWAYS a wonderful donation for us.

Like MayS said, helmets are not something we can usually take because we don't know the "history" or the age. There are exceptions to that of course.

Most TR programs, like rescues, are strapped right now. I know we are! So anything and everything is always appreciated
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Tack or clothing items that need to be repaired may or may not be sell-able. A missing button on a pair of breeches is easy for most buyers to fix, replacing a broken zipper may or may not be (fewer potential buyers will be interested), and obviously no one's going to buy a pair with gaping holes in the fabric. An old but quality saddle with cosmetic flaws should still have plenty of life in it, a cheap saddle with functional damage may not be worth repairing nor safe to use as-is. Again, common sense.
    This! I won't sell things needing repair, used helmets, or any tack that's cruel/harsh. I do take the items in any items that are horse related as donations. Then we go through them and will dispose of anything broken or dangerous. We generally don't accept non-horse items but occasionally those get stuck in with boxes of horse stuff. When that happens, we often give them to the local salvation army or homeless shelter - we can't sell them at our event but don't want them to go to waste...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Here are the addresses:

Another Chance 4 Horses
    166 Station Rd
    Bernville, PA 19506

Sunkissed Acres
    536 Woods Road
    Summerville, GA 30747
    Thanks for the addresses! I have a box in my car ready to go, and hadn't taken the time to dig for where to send.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry