The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fireworks Already :(

Luckily I had my two week old baby inside, but honestly, these were the biggest friggin fireworks I have ever seen set off that weren't part of a show.
    We were inside with the A/C and tv on, windows shut, and it STILL sounded like someone shot a rifle off in our front yard. In fact that's what we thought it was at first.
    Other horses running in the back field, brought them in.
    Man it's going to be a longggg few weeks.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Well . . . all my neighbors shoot off tons of illegal fireworks at all kinds of odd times and sight in their guns and do a lot of shooting. None of my herd cares one bit by now, not the babies and not the oldsters. They are all officially firework proof. Maybe you need to do some small ones close to home to help them desensitize? I find it nice not to have to do anything special on county firework holidays, just let 'em out to graze and watch my field light up once in a while.
    Last edited by EiRide; Jun. 13, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

One of the local farmers built a party house next to a pond that is just on the other side of the trees bordering my far pasture. On the 4th and New Year's Eve it sounds like Sherman's Army back for a rematch.

This year I have a new horse in that pasture. I hadn't even thought about fireworks till I saw this thread.

Oh, well. Quanah's first New Years he spent repeatedly asking Bram "Are you sure those explosions in the sky are nothing to worry about?" By the 4th, he was pretty sanguine about it, and now he doesn't even lift his head.

Hopefully Houdini will model his behavior after his farm mates'.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

We live by the Army Depot. They explode old ammunition at the depot. Nobody cares except for my poor very sensitive half blind collie. But she hates anything that makes noise.

The neighborhood fireworks are just across the road from us every summer. I think my horses are more upset by the smell than the noise. We just put them in the back pasture that day.

Gramps and I both shot bolt upright in bed one night to the sound of our horses thundering in the pasture. It was the new move to the country city neighbors and their young boys shooting bottle rockets out in front of their place, shooting them pointed across the road right into our field late at night.

The sound of my husband, pants barely pulled on, running out of the house screaming 'What the f**k do YOU THINK you're doing??' sent them running for cover.

We politely put a letter in their mailbox the next day that explained the rules of rural life. Horses out at night in the summer, out during the day in the winter - and please just give us a proper notice and we will gladly put them up for a night for some youthful fun.

They called promptly and apologized. Then it was the paint ball craze and someone shooting those into the field regularly, and the neighbor who lobs golf balls that way .....

The horses have become accustomed now to gun fire, one neighbor cleaning out his muzzle loader before deer season.

But I do agree and have always been very careful with the foals! Try to get a communication established so you can get the baby boy put up and also allow them their rights too. Just ask for that consideration and they can still have their bit of fun.
    Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

DELee, I feel for you. My old neighbors lived for the 4th of July, complete with bottle rockets, the kind of fireworks that light up the sky and Roman Candles. Because they were so nice about moving their display to the other side of their property when I told them I found bottle rockets in my paddocks and on the roof of my barn (!), I decided to look at it as just a day to get through as safely as possible. I would put stuffies in my horses' ears, crank up the radio, close the barn doors and give them a ton of hay to keep them busy. Then I'd sit outside the barn and enjoy the show.

It was always nerve wracking and it meant that for 10 years I never went to off the farm on a 4th of July but it's just part of owning horses I guess.

Good luck getting through the holiday.

Honestly I've never seen anything as big as these, we've been here four years and seen our share of poppers, screamers and decent sized exploding ones. When you can hear the 'whoomp!' of them leaving the launcher, that's a big firework!
    I just wish they'd hold off until at least the first of July.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Ugh - my neighbors have a party once a year and they whoop it up by firing a canon. A real one. That party was last night. I'm not sure how they choose the intervals in which to shoot it off, but it is so random that the horses never get used to it and settle.

Makes me really be in awe of horses that are used for reenactments.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Honestly I've never seen anything as big as these, we've been here four years and seen our share of poppers, screamers and decent sized exploding ones. When you can hear the 'whoomp!' of them leaving the launcher, that's a big firework!
    I just wish they'd hold off until at least the first of July.
    I just had the same thing happen to me!

My neighbors shot off basically the kind of fireworks you find at a city sponsored event. Directly over my mama and baby's paddock!

Mama and baby absolutely freaked. I didn't even realize that those neighbors were shooting fireworks (it is usually on the other side of my property). My son took a walk about and came running in saying that Joanna was trying to kill herself. When I found her, she was dripping with sweat, running back and forth (actually too dangerous to catch at first). More cranked up than I have ever seen a Percheron. I was afraid I was going to loose her to colic. She didn't settle for two hours. Mama had to be DRAGGED outside this morning (two days later) and then she paced in the pasture the whole time. She has fried her brain.

The worst thing is that we show at state fairs all the time, I don't know what she is going to do next time she hears one!
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Cielo, that is so sad! Your poor Perch. I have noticed that my Shire is much more nervous about the fireworks than even my TB, who eventually settles. I hope your mare will recover from the trauma.

Heard them last night--our Aussie melts down! So did our Border Collie before him. The first year,the horses had a tough time and two pulled shoes. We moved here from Colorado where backyard fireworks and roadside stands are non-existent due to fire danger. New Year's Eve is another big night. The horses now just watch the horizon and seem unpreturbed.

However, we tend to stay home both nights, especially if fire danger is high.
    And yes, even for New Years Eve--one fire was New Years Eve Eve shortly after a lot of rain but the dead grass had dried out. Was slipping in the mud
    pulling hose out. Lots of grass fires--three times we have almost waved goodbye to the farmette. Two from "neighbors" with fireworks and one from burning trash. At least the fire departments, hit them with massive citations. One Fourth, they went for four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaLuna View Post
    Ugh - my neighbors have a party once a year and they whoop it up by firing a canon. A real one. That party was last night. I'm not sure how they choose the intervals in which to shoot it off, but it is so random that the horses never get used to it and settle.

Makes me really be in awe of horses that are used for reenactments.
    A canon? Who has a canon? I am starting to feel like the parties I go to are very dull indeed!

So, for those of you who deal with fireworks how do you get your horses used to them. On the tree work thread I agreed with letting the horses stay out to see what was going on, but with fireworks it seems like it is a different story.

I have a friend who is worrying about how to deal with this on the 4th. I would think letting them out in a small paddock with ear stuffies would be a start. What about Ace? Has anyone used that or ... the other one whose name escapes me at the moment?

I like them going off a bit early. A few here and there, becoming more and more until the 4th totally makes all of the horses ignore them. Another advantage of a large herd. For the babies, their moms are long trained that it is nothing, so they are fine with it.

The last place on earth I would want them is locked in a stall. They do much better with a group, out.

I do have one horse that will try to jump the stall door if he is in during a storm. We get him out pretty fast when the thunder begins.

My dog hates it though - storms and fireworks. The storms she wants to hide, but the fireworks, she keeps barking at like we are being attacked.

I always put the horses in the barn by dusk on Dec 31 and July 4. They are used to the sound of gun fire since my son has a practice firing range on his property next door so the noise isn't so much of a problem (except the whistlers). I just don't want to chance them running in the field panicking at the sight of the bottle rockets. We live in the country where people go outside on news year eve and shoot off guns and fireworks. On July 4th we have neighbors all around us that light off fireworks which include bottle rockets. Which means that I am always home on those two holidays.

I have 2 dogs that hate the noise. My little yorkie pants and paces and shakes like a leaf and refuses to leave the house for two days after. My border collie tries to fit her fat self into the smallest place possible to hide....she is usually fine once the noise stops though.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

My horses and dogs are used to guns and fireworks and thunder and lightning.

Has anyone tried these?
    http://www.spookless.com/productsandservices.html

or the 1812 overture?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Ugh - my neighbors have a party once a year and they whoop it up by firing a canon. A real one.
    Set fire to a canon? Those irreligious so-and-sos. I'd be upset, too.

Although, I guess you should count your blessings. If they'd fired a cannon it would've made an awful racket.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Set fire to a canon? Those irreligious so-and-sos. I'd be upset, too.

Although, I guess you should count your blessings. If they'd fired a cannon it would've made an awful racket.
    Oops, my bad. I guess they were shooting off the canon. It was me that was fired up!

Oops, my bad. I guess they were shooting off the canon. It was me that was fired up!
    No, sorry - it's my geeky Episcopalian sense of humor. Canons are laws of the church; cannons are big guns.

You can fire either one. But only one makes any noise.

I have always wished that they would ban the fire works in the country...why do I have to put up with it not only on the 4th, but days leading up to and then afterward for days....*sigh* I get tired of the stupidity with fire works and horses, if one should go through the fence or hurt themselves due to my neighbors fun, I am stuck with the bill or the damages, NOT THEM!!

I do not lock my 4 up in their stalls. The last two years they have been very very watchful throughout the night, I sit on the porch for most of it, bringing out my dinner and iced tea, then sit on the porch in one of the rockers watching them. So far, nothing bad has happened, my two Percheron mares being the most steady, the QH watch them, they all have lots of hay that night to keep them occupied.

Now, when the SOB across the street shot fire works OVER my pasture that exploded in a beautiful assortment of colors, showering down "stuff", yea, I was a bit hot under the collar and called the sheriff. Unfortunately, due to the high call volume, by the time they got here, the SOB had put everything away, said all they had were sparklers and I was the crazy one. Sheriff came to talk to us, I showed him what I was picking up out of my field, along with the bruised and cut arm where I was run over by a ton of horse. He couldn't do anything as he didn't see him doing it...yea thanks!!