The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down I thought you knew better

So I have this friend. Nice girl, good rider, seemed pretty sensible. Since working for this new barn, she's lost her mind. She idolizes her new boss, thinks he can do no wrong, and thinks that her previous trainers were worthless compared to him. Formerly, she was against Parelli, but now, since her new boss does it, its okay because its "old" Parelli. I could deal with this, and I could deal with the overinflated ego she's suddenly developed, but her new facebook photo, crossed a line I didn't know I had.

She has a lovely 5 year old Morgan, who's been under saddle a year. He can be a little squirly some times, but when I got on him I had no problems. Three weeks ago, he developed a splint, but I don't know anything about splints, so can't comment on that. In her facebook photo, however, she has him in a tom thumb (the western bit), has sidereins running from that to her girth, and has the sidereins running through a running martingale thats adjusted so short the rings can't come up heigher than the lower part of his chest, while she roundpens him. He's a Morgan, he's supposed to have a high head carriage (he's built with his head set really high). I know her boss is a western rider, but this screams bad idea to every common sense part of my brain! the side reins don't even have elastic on them, so there is no give.

She was my best friend up here, and now I'm dreading having to be in class with her for another year.

Sorry, I just had to vent to some people who understand why this is a bad idea. Advice on how not to smack some sense in to her, anyone?

Three weeks ago, he developed a splint, but I don't know anything about splints, so can't comment on that. In her facebook photo, however, she has him in a tom thumb (the western bit), has sidereins running from that to her girth, and has the sidereins running through a running martingale thats adjusted so short the rings can't come up heigher than the lower part of his chest, while she roundpens him.
    hmmmm. Yep, sounds just like Parelli. They are all like that, you know.

I think a "Glad we're friends, but I can't talk to you about horse things any more as we just don't see eye to eye," will be enough to make your point.

Otherwise, get out of the way. Don't ask, don't watch.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ugh, no advice, just sympathy for her horse. A friend of mine had sent her lovely Morgan gelding to a local crackpot for "reining". I briefly mentioned to her what the gossip around the barn was about him. She defended him until about 3 months had passed. Then she went and picked her horse up. In that time, that guy really screwed up the horse.

Morgans should never be peanut rollers.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    hmmmm. Yep, sounds just like Parelli. They are all like that, you know.
    I don't think this has anything to do with Parelli. Back in the day when I was having major problems with one of my horses, I did some Parelli training, so I don't think its related at all.

When I comment on her going Parelli, I mean that her boss told her that the best way to start horses is with the 7 games, and now she's decided that every other way of starting horses is wrong and our trainer doesn't know anything because he follows more the the Clinton Anderson approach.

I think her boss told her that her Morgan need to carry his head like a peanut pusher wihout taking his conformation in to account, especially given that his particular Morgan is built like a saddleseat Morgan.

well, as is oft said, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Pnut pushing WP horses, 7 games, whatever, it's all a blinders on approach to horses.

Some people seem to want or actually NEED a guru. Makes them feel secure, cherished, gives a sense of belonging, makes up for a lack of ego-strength whatever. And THEIR guru ALWAYS Invented the Magic Fix, the Right Way to Do Groundwork, the Only Correct Length Leadrope. I about choked the time my neighbor started telling me raptly about PP inventing saddle pads with shims, snaffle bits with 3-piece mouthpiece, you name it. She was highly offended when I said, um, you know, those things have been around for a while and exist outside the PP universe... I expect she thinks LP invented fullseats.

Doesnt matter if its Clinton, Pat, or George Freakin' Morris. Its the Way, the Truth and the Life and You Just Dont Get It.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Petra View Post
    .She has a lovely 5 year old Morgan, who's been under saddle a year.....He's a Morgan, he's supposed to have a high head carriage (he's built with his head set really high). I know her boss is a western rider, but this screams bad idea to every common sense part of my brain! the side reins don't even have elastic on them, so there is no give.

Sorry, I just had to vent to some people who understand why this is a bad idea. Advice on how not to smack some sense in to her, anyone?
    Buy her a subscription to "The International Morgan Connection" magazine. It is relatively inexpensive, and she will see TONS of pictures of "western" Morgans and their headsets in it.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Default GO this route

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    Buy her a subscription to "The International Morgan Connection" magazine. It is relatively inexpensive, and she will see TONS of pictures of "western" Morgans and their headsets in it.
    I would simply tell her you don't agree with the training she is using and if you can drag her to another trainer's seminar or two. If she actually does show that poor Morgan in peanut roller head set she will get ejected out of the ring.
    Each horse is an individual and should be treated as such. Just because PP's horse did will with Parelli doesn't mean Clint's would. My mare would have probably killed PP if she would have tried that yanking crap on her much less side reins. Yet she was a champion WP, Halter, Reining, Barrel & Pole Bending, hell she even won a few jumping classes. Each horse needs their own training schedule and a person to help them with that training.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

what will blow your mind is in a (year/month/insert time here) this trainer will be the worst thing in the world, and your friend will go on and on about how everything trainer did was wrong and awful. It will happen, I've seen it happen a few times anyways Some people are just very insecure with themselves and fall into self defeating habits. Just scratch your head and move on, and don't try to rationalize it.

Just let her be. If she's willing to run side reins to a Tom Thumb, she's willing to do anything.

Or, if you must say something= just say 'I've never seen side reins used with anything but a snaffle. That's interesting. Seems like an invitation for one to panic and flip over.' See what she says. You don't have to agree. But you can make it plain you think it's dumb and dangerous and she can do with that whatever she wants to.

If you're willing to get in the weeds with her over it, pursue it. if not, unfriend her in FB and walk away. S'up to you.