The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to track down an OTTB

The horse was last raced early 2009. Trainer Michael E. Gorham and owner Old Coach Farm and John D. Murphy. If anyone has contact information on either of them could you please PM me.

No contact information, but Michael Gorham races at Delaware Park & MidAtlantic tracks. Maybe a message via the horseman's association at Delaware, or left at the stable gate would get to him?
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Need the horse's name. Gorham and Old Coach team up for a lot of their horses. I can see 4 different ones on a simple Google search.

More info, more chances we know where the horse is.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Need the horse's name. Gorham and Old Coach team up for a lot of their horses. I can see 4 different ones on a simple Google search.

More info, more chances we know where the horse is.

~Emily
    Here name is "Summer Sun". An 06' mare that only ran a few times. Contact M. Gorham about a year ago since I noticed she hadn't done to well in her first few races and asked him to contact me if she was going to be retired from the track. Never heard from him, but then again didn't think I would.

Ok lemme see what I can find.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Ok lemme see what I can find.

~Em
    Thanks Em.

I'm sorry but I spoke to Mike just now.

Sadly the horse you asked me about was euthanized as she shattered her sesamoids in a workout.

I am sorry. But at least you know.

~Emily

I'm sorry but I spoke to Mike just now.

Sadly the horse you asked me about was euthanized as she shattered her sesamoids in a workout.

I am sorry. But at least you know.

~Emily
    Emily,

I really appreciate you finding out for me what happened to "Summer Sun" born 06'. Wonder why a mare who finished last or almost last in all of her 4 races was continued to be trained? After her last 09' race I even contacted Mike Gorham to see if he was going to retire her and when he did to contact me that I was very interested in her. All he told me was he planned on continuing her training. Did he say when she shattered her seasamoids?

Two yrs. ago I bought her full sister "Celtic Summer" born 05' from the track here in Bowie. I was hoping "Summer Sun's" trainer would have had the same good sense as my mares trainer did and retire her when she wasn't showing any promise as a race horse. Very sad she wasn't able to find a 2nd career before she was pushed to that point during a workout. RIP "Summer Sun". :-(

I think you need to recall who makes these decisions more often than not. You're upset and I get why, but a lot of the time the trainer is a middle man like a stock broker, who advises a client what to do with their investments. And sometimes their advice is heeded, and sometimes the clients maintains that they know best and ask the trainer to keep doing as they wish.

At the end of the day the owner owns the horse and pays the bills. Thus the responsibility falls in the hands of the owner. And forgive me but sometimes 4 races isn't enough to tell for a mare. Especially if she is showing promise in the mornings and maybe had a bad trip, a bad ride, or the track surface came up as muddy or grosss on the day of a race. There are many reasons and sadly I don't know what led to this outcome. But I personally would be far more outraged if a no hoper was run in excess of 15 times, as I have seen happen.

~Emily

Very true the owners are the ones that pay the bills.

The owners do pay the bills but the trainer's bear the responsibility for the welfare of the horse at the end of the day. Not to say this man deliberately ran a sore or compromised horse but if a trainer is told to run a horse that he has serious doubts about, that is no one's fault but the trainer if he/she continues on with it. You can always tell the owner to find another barn. No more passing the buck to owners who for the most part would not know when to stop on a horse if it fell down in front of them.

Sorry about Summer Sun.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    The owners do pay the bills but the trainer's bear the responsibility for the welfare of the horse at the end of the day. Not to say this man deliberately ran a sore or compromised horse but if a trainer is told to run a horse that he has serious doubts about, that is no one's fault but the trainer if he/she continues on with it. You can always tell the owner to find another barn. No more passing the buck to owners who for the most part would not know when to stop on a horse if it fell down in front of them.

Sorry about Summer Sun.
    Thanks Calamber.

I'm not a fanatic just really appreciate the TB either OTTB or never raced for their heart and desire to work. I know other people have there favorite breeds, but mine for the show ring is a TB. Unfortunately the Dam of both Summer Sun and my mare Celtic Summer died while giving birth to her 07' foal. The breeder lost both mare and foal. Not sure that I'll ever breed my mare, but she is a very good example of how well OTTB can transition into new careers. Her bloodlines show she should have been a runner, but she is a hunter thru and thru.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help tracking down Summer Sun.

I have never and will never run a sore horse, I don't care who it belongs to. That said, it has been my experience that the ones who show absolutely no ability are the least likely to get injured. If the horse in question truly showed nothing then there is a good chance it was a freak accident/bad step sort of deal.