The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cats rescued from hoarding situation need homes ASAP (Baltimore MD)

I helped a really nice lady in my neighborhood get a small group of 6 or so cats fixed last fall, finally stopping the flood of kittens coming from that alley. I was over there last week (trying to help rescue one of her feral cats that was stuck on a roof), and noticed a bunch of new cats running around.

Turns out a neighbor across the alley got in trouble with her landlord for having pets (or maybe having too many). All of a sudden one day, according to the lady I've been helping, a bunch of cats in carriers were stacked up outside the back door. They sat out there all day in the sun, then got rained on. At some point, a bunch of them got let out of their carriers, but some were still in them when a neighbor finally got fed up and called Animal Control, who came and took 5 cats who were still locked in their carriers. The carriers were full of urine... and (shudder) cockroaches.

Apparently AC did not bother to look for the cats who were already out of their carriers, and who were now running around the alley lost and frantic. I brought home 3 kitties that day -- an adolescent black female kitten, a young brown tabby female (probably 9-12 months old, and a black adult male, probably about a year old. They are all emaciated, and are spending every waking moment eating. The adult black male only weighs 5 lbs., and the black adolescent, who has to be about 6 months old, weighs only 3.5 lbs!

There are still 4 cats left in the alley -- another adolescent black female who is the sister to the one I have, an orange and white male who is a brother to the brown tabby, an adult orange tabby male and an adult calico (mother of the brown tabby and orange/white).

I cannot possibly take them all in (I really shouldn't have taken the three I already grabbed), but I'm worried that they're in such poor condition that AC may euthanize them if they ever come back for them. (Although fortunately they have found the feral cat caretaker across the alley and she's feeding them... it's a sad state of affairs when a cat is being better fed after it gets abandoned than when it had a home!) There are still other cats in the house, which was reported to AC -- they are supposed to come back with a search warrant.

I haven't done any vet work on these guys yet and they all need to be fixed, I just wanted them to gain some weight first. But they're all super-sweet, friendly cats, and seem mostly healthy other than being incredibly thin. They had never been outside before they got dumped, so need indoor homes.

If I can get the 3 I have moved on to other homes, I can go back for the other 4. If you know *anyone* who is thinking of adding a kitty to the family, please send them my way!

I'll try to get some pictures to add over the weekend...

Erin, thank you for all you do for those Baltimore kitties! I'm pretty full up here or I'd take one or two. Spy sends his love and sure is grateful you got him off those mean streets.

Someone out there needs a cat in need!

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

These kitties are still in crates because I haven't had them vetted yet, but here are some not-so-great pictures.

This is the young brown tabby female. She's been acting a little on-edge and doesn't seem crazy about other cats (possibly because she was living in a disgusting, cockroach-infested house with 15 other cats?!?), but has started to relax. She's very affectionate and loving and definitely likes people. Might be good as an only cat for a little while until she settles down, or should be OK with another low-key cat that will give her her space. Poor thing, I hate to think what has made her so nervous about other cats!

She is very small, probably only weighs 5 pounds. But I would guess she's 9 months or so old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	29771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	29772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2894.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	29773  

Original Poster

It's kind of impossible to photograph black cats... especially in crates in a basement! But I tried... this is the little black adolescent kitten. She is a little timid, but VERY loving. She has a tiny spot of white on her chest. She also has a sister who is still living in the alley, who I'd like to get... anyone want a pair of tiny black kitties?

According to the hoarder/caretaker (I use the term "caretaker" loosely ) these two kittens showed up on Christmas Eve. So they should be 7 months old at least. This one weighs less than 4 lbs. She's gaining weight quickly though and looks pretty good now.

I love black cats and think they're gorgeous... she's especially pretty! And she has seemed happy as a clam since getting settled in her crate. She loves attention... and a reliable source of food obviously rates high in her book too.

Name:	IMG_2888.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	29774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2889.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	29775  

Original Poster

I know this photo is pretty much worthless, but...

This is the adult male. I would guess he's about a year old. He is skin and bones. I'll try to get a photo of him standing up so you can see just how skinny he is, but you can feel every bone in his body, poor little thing. He is very sweet, though... but seems very weak. He has been doing nothing but sleeping and eating. He loves his little donut bed and just snuggles in there like he's the happiest little guy in the world though.

Definitely needs some TLC. I want him to gain some more weight before he gets fixed... he seems awfully fragile right now to undergo surgery.

Name:	IMG_2882.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	29776  

These look like lovely kitties! Wish I had room. Surely someone on CoTH can help out.

Smile ..

BUMP !!!!!!!

Yours in sport,

Lynn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor

Question ...

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I know this photo is pretty much worthless, but...

This is the adult male. I would guess he's about a year old. He is skin and bones. I'll try to get a photo of him standing up so you can see just how skinny he is, but you can feel every bone in his body, poor little thing. He is very sweet, though... but seems very weak. He has been doing nothing but sleeping and eating. He loves his little donut bed and just snuggles in there like he's the happiest little guy in the world though.

Definitely needs some TLC. I want him to gain some more weight before he gets fixed... he seems awfully fragile right now to undergo surgery.
    Erin,

How is Black Beauty doing ?

Yours in sport and felines,

Lynn
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor

Original Poster

He seems a lot better! Although he has diarrhea, so I've got to get him into the vet for a fecal test... regular strongid dewormer doesn't seem to be helping.

I was able to go back for one more -- an adorable little orange tabby/white bicolor boy who is VERY sweet! He and the brown tabby are brother and sister. Pictures of him to come. He had horrible ear mites and had scratched his ears bloody, but I think I've got those under control and otherwise, he was in pretty decent shape. (Probably because they have all been noshing at the food dish that my friend puts out for the feral cats!)

Original Poster

Bump! Linus (the black male), Lucy (the black female), and Nosey (the brown tabby) are all spayed/neutered, vaccinated, tested negative for FIV/feline leukemia, and ready for homes!

Lucy is a shy girl, but is just an absolute sweetheart once she gets to know you. She seems to like other cats.

Nosey seems to want to be an only cat. She is a very active and talkative girl, and can be a little opinionated! But very very affectionate.

Sweet little Linus... the techs at the SPCA all fell in love with him when he went to be fixed. I'm going to take him into my vet for a thorough checkup because he still seems kind of "unthrifty"... mostly just a dull coat. But he is a really sweet cat with this funny, raspy little meow. He'll make someone a great buddy!

The orange/white boy is still unnamed, and he managed to escape neutering this week because he got out of his crate and hid behind all the piles of junk in my basement... but he's next on the list!

Please keep us updated on if you find homes - I can't commit right now, but the situation might be different in a couple of weeks. (Waiting on medical test results for someone in the family - depending on how they go it might be a bad time to introduce a new pet, y'know?)

Original Poster

Oh dear, kdow, hope everything is OK! My best friend lives in Pittsburgh so I'd be happy to do a kitty delivery if you end up deciding to take one. There are always kitties here needing a home, so no rush!

Original Poster

Hoarder kitty update... some spaces opened up at the feral cat spay/neuter clinic I help organize last weekend, so I scooped up the last 3 hoarder kitties and got them fixed. So I now have all (gulp) seven of them looking for homes!

Linus went to the vet last week and mostly checked out OK -- he has some gunk in his ears that needs to clear up, and will be getting a couple doses of a different dewormer. He does appear to have bad teeth, probably the result of really crappy nutrition -- nothing needs doing right away, but he does need a cleaning and probably is going to need more dental attention than the average kitty. (Of course, my own cat had to have half her teeth extracted right after I adopted her... and she was only 3! She has no teeth at all now at age 10, which means I get out of dental cleanings for the rest of her life. )

The orange/white kitty finally has a name: Roger. He is a friendly little guy, although timid in the beginning.

Lucy's twin sister, Luna, is shy but loves to be petted and has these HUGE gorgeous eyes. She is timid, but warms up as she gets to know you.

Roxy (Nosey and Roger's mom) is VERY friendly and talkative. She's a very uniquely colored "tabbico" -- she's a calico but her colored patches are tabby, rather than solid.

Toby is an orange tabby who was probably one of the worst off (only slightly better than Linus)... he was full of fleas, had a bunch of mats (you can see the strip we had to shave along his back), ear mites, and was super-thin. After just a week, he looks a LOT better. He's pretty friendly (although tends to be timid at first) and quite talkative... he has a very girly little meow!

All are s/n, UTD on vaccines, started on deworming, and tested negative for FIV/FELV.

Pictures below are (l-r) Toby, Roxy, Luna, and Roger.

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	30217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3163.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	30218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	30219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	30220  

Roger! Roger for the win!!

(though, currently, I'm torn between two of your other cats... cat with a hard life or cat with a giant head? *sigh....* Why can't I have a big house with room for one more?)
    "talking about love is like dancing about architecture..."
    A Wink & A NodPlaying by HeartA Wing & A PrayerBest to be Elusive

Original Poster

A bump for these guys.

Linus looks like a new kitty! I think he just had to go through his "let down" phase... his crappy coat shedded out en masse, and now he is sleek and dark. The diarrhea is gone and he looks fabulous, if I do say so myself!

Toby, the matted orange tabby, has put a bunch of weight on and looks really good. He is very talkative and friendly.

And Roxy is turning out to be quite a friendly, talkative girl, too. She and Toby are the most outgoing of the bunch, and would probably do well in just about any home... the others are shy at first, so would do better in quieter homes with cat-savvy people, but all love attention.

I just gave them all their 2nd distemper shot, so they're fully vaccinated, dewormed, deflea'd, and ready to go!

Original Poster

Bump... would really like to get a couple of these guys moved into homes! Lucy and Luna would be great adopted as a pair... they are shy, but super-affectionate once they know you. (Although they are pretty difficult to tell apart... lol. )

Nosey is such an odd little kitty... almost hyperactive. She goes nuts climbing the sides of her crate whenever I'm around, and practically attacks you for petting! I think she's sick of being in a crate. She has a bit of a "chestnut mare" personality, so can be a bit opinionated sometimes, but she sure does love attention!

And Linus has really turned out to be a sweetheart. I can't believe how different he looks from when he first got here. He's kind of a quiet and unassuming guy, but definitely appreciates any ear scritches that come his way.

Original Poster

Roxy and Toby went "out on trial" to a COTHer's family with 3 young kids. They've decided to keep Roxy, who is doing great, but Toby is a little too timid for all the kids, so they're going to foster him while he's looking for a new home. He's currently in Reston, VA, if anyone wants to meet him. (Picture of the two cats below is Roxy, left, and Toby, right.)

And Linus is being fostered by another COTHer, in Sterling, VA. He looks soooo much better than he did! He's a bit of a timid guy, but is getting along well with his foster brothers and is happy to nap on the bed with you or snuggle on the couch. (The black kitty on the chair pictured below is Linus.)

Lucy, Luna, Roger and Nosey are still here with me. Links to their CL ads (with videos and pics) are below! Nosey has turned out to be a real trip... such a funny girl!

Lucy and Luna
    Roger
    Nosey

Name:	kitties008.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	30689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	30690  

Just a bump to help these kitties out! I took in 3 from Erin a year or two ago. They are the BEST barn cats ever! They kill all kinds of varmits, mice, birds, and yes- the occasional squirrel (sniff sniff)!

I wanted to update this thread to say what a great cat Toby is, aside from a couple issues that come from living on the streets. With more individual time I bet they can be overcome, though.

He is suspicious at first but then warms up and is VERY friendly and outgoing. He spent the first two weeks here under the bed and then was completely over it one day. His time under the bed was more “I don’t know you so I’m just going to pretend you don’t exist” than scared and freaked out. Unfortunately for him, Roxy was interested in us sooner and my kids got attached, even though she is the more timid one and wouldn’t have been my choice to keep.

After I’d introduced Roxy to my own cat, I considered keeping Toby but his second issue is that he thinks every meal will be his last, so he eats super fast and goes looking for more. My cat is old and slow and needs every calorie he can get. Trying to monitor food for three cats and 3 children is more than I could deal with so Toby went back to the bedroom from dinner to breakfast. Otherwise, he gets along very well with everyone here and is a great indoor cat.

He is UTD, microchipped and uses the litter faithfully. I have found that he does over groom on days that he can’t get out and play with his friends but never shows any outward signs of stress. I’ve given him two doses of Revolution so it’s not fleas. Eats whatever you put in front of him, including raw if you want to go in that direction.

I think Toby would be fantastic as an only cat for someone who is home a lot or would make a great companion for a lonely, playful cat. He’s a total love bug one-on-one but does tend to focus on my other two cats when they are around. I would love to keep him but 3 cats is just to much for me and keeping him locked in the bedroom is not fair to him. Erin only has space for him to be crated and I hate to send him back to square one after he’s come this far.

If you know of anyone in the DC area who is even thinking about getting a cat, please tell them about this guy! Between Erin and me, he can travel further and will always have a place to come back to if it doesn’t work out.

Original Poster

Oh, I should add also that Linus has been adopted by a really great couple who is absolutely thrilled with him. I am so glad... he was pretty sad and pathetic when I found him, but boy does he look different now!

So that's two kitties down, five to go.