The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default friday night jump off... any one know how the 2 horses are?

does any one know how the 2 horses at the upperville show are that were hurt at tonight's $25,000 jump off?

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Not sure about Tracey Weinberg's horse but the other had to be put down.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

yikes! What happened???

Sending prayers to all involved and wondering what in the world happened?

Tracy is a lovely person and rider my heart goes out to her... does anyone know which it was?

That's really unusual for there to be two things like this in one class.

What happened?

Megan's horse was euthanized as I understand it, broken leg. The other, I don't know about.

Wow, very relieved I didn't go. I don't think I could have stood to watch something like that.

Tracy Weinberg had to pull her horse up between fences, possibly a bow or a strain.

Megan fellows horse Miss Liberty swam through a fence and fell. I believe she was euthanized.

Very sad Welcome
    Even more sad to watch in person.
    And even more sad that the equine ambulance had to literally be woken up to pay any mind to what was going on (both times might I add).
    Seriously was so pissed that people had to run over to the truck and get their attention. Why on earth would they be just sitting in their truck in the AC playing/talking on their phones and not paying attention to what was going on in case of an emergency?
    Not that the horse could have been saved but dang...very unimpressed with that.

This is so sad. I did not know two horses were hurt. My friend was there when the horse broke her leg, saw the whole thing. Says they came off the previous fence bad and then plowed through the next fence. The horse got her legs between two poles and it broke one leg. The poor girl, I can't even imagine how she is feeling!!! My prayers go out to them.

I am also so glad I did not go.
    "But if you buy them as ponies aren't they cheaper?"

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Megan's horse was euthanized as I understand it, broken leg. The other, I don't know about.
    The horse Megan was on was actually owned by McLain.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

The poor thing was giving it her all to make some very scary distances work at the previous bunch of fences, had to run out of luck/jump eventually.

Needless to say after watching that class they might want reconsider name - not such a "welcome". Both horses hurt near the same jumps - Tracy pulled up, jumped off immediately...I heard it was a bow; Miss Liberty took bad distance, as others said swam through the fence and looked like she just landed on all fours. Bless her heart she tried to get up a couple of times, made it up and most of us watching could see. I'm not sure about the ambulance - they got into the ring pretty quickly but backing up to the horse proved a challenge - needless to say it was quite somber. We realize just how magnificent and noble these creatures are... She was tended to quickly and I suppose as humanely as possible under the circumstances, and the crew handled it very well considering. My heart goes out to everyone involved with this tragic loss.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthFaceFarm View Post
    The poor thing was giving it her all to make some very scary distances work at the previous bunch of fences, had to run out of luck/jump eventually.
    I agree...they were struggling as it were. I'm not so sure the pair should have been competing at that level. The horse...more than ready as it showed with Mclain this past winter in FL. The rider not so much (no offense at all, it was just obvious).
    Either way, very tragic events. Let's hope the GP runs smoothly without any incidents. It's hard to think about these kinds of things happening. I looked at my mare this AM and thought "You're the kind of dummy that would do the same damn thing! You save your rider's ass alllll the time!" It's those horses with a heart of gold. She was just doing her job and something tragic happened unfortunately I'd be so heartbroken.

I am not sad at all that I went. It WAS a "welcome" to the big jumper horses there; there was a lot of very good riding going on. Just remember, sometimes $h*t happens, and it just so happens it occurred last night in front of a bunch of people and streaming online. We have not had something like that happen at Upperville on the grand prix field in my memory. Tracey's horse's injury was relatively minor (pulled shoe resulting in what appeared to be a low bow), and could have happened anywhere at any time--heck, it was more likely to happen in a field when the horse is playing then when it did.

I was sitting directly in front of where Megan fell. She approached that jump picking at the mare's mouth and simply did not have enough pace/impulsion to get over a jump that size/width. If the mare had been less "amateur-friendly" she would have refused, knowing that she couldn't make it over. Unfortunately for her, she had a lot of heart, gave it her all, and broke her shoulder. As soon as I saw her get up, I knew what had happend. But remember, accidents just like this can happen just as easily when schooling. One rider error can have disastrous results, even when the fences aren't that big.

As to the equine ambulance, from where they were located, there was no way to tell if Tracey's horse needed an ambulance until they called for it. For Megan's horse, they were in there VERY fast, quickly evaluated the mare's situation, and then had to situate the trailer and tarps to put the horse down. If it was my horse, I certainly wouldn't have expected a quicker reaction than what they gave.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

So no one considered that the mare might have been jumping badly up until the point she fell through the jump precisely BECAUSE she had something brewing that actually caused the ultimate fall? Or are we just SO SURE it was the fault of a "bad" ride?? Wow. Omniscience, it is a beautiful thing.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Lets not use this as a forum to point fingers and place blame. Sh*t happens.

Condolences on the loss of a good one to all her connections...she went down doing her job and was all heart. I hope Megan was uninjured, can remember her fondly and move on...sometimes these things can be devastating and hard to put behind us. No need to suggest anything could have or would have been different "if"....that's a dead end.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

she wan't jumping badly, she was asked to jump from bad spots off not enough impulsion, from what I could see. I'm not saying it was a disastrous ride, but maybe a more experienced rider might have recognized the need to change the game plan after being behind at so many fences, or if as you say, there was a problem brewing with the mare. Accidents happen, and a lot of the tim it is due to human error - none of us are immune to mistakes.