The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles like DK that feel similar to rider?

I rode in a DK saddle the other day and was pleasantly surprised.

I have never been able to sit close to the front of a dressage saddle without experiencing pain. This saddle is very supportive in front! It allows you to sit on your pelvic bones and frees the weight from your hip joints so that you can drop your leg.

I have struggled with saddle fit for years and have developed the bad habit of pinching my knees and scooting to the back of the saddle to avoid the pommel. I am tall, slim with a long thigh.

The DKs are very expensive saddles and I have read the old threads about the poor customer service, so I don't wish to go that route, but it got me wondering: are there other saddles out there that fit like this? I had given up hope! I would love to find something this wonderful used.

I recently bought a used DK saddle freedom through DK (call them- they might have what you are looking for) - the customer service was GREAT, they arranged a fitter that was out w/in a couple weeks....LOVE this saddle, and so does my horse!

Regal saddles are made by Kevin Lote and he worked for DK for a long period of time before going off on his own. I have two Regals and they are pretty much the same saddle as the DK.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Ditto on the Regal saddles. They are basically the same saddle as the DK, but quite a bit cheaper. Also, Kevin is very knowledgable and good to deal with, although he can be hard to get a hold of.

Another vote for Regal. I love my two Regal saddles and so do any friends or students that have tried them. Kevin is very pleasant to deal with as well.

I also agree that Regals are basically the same as DK

You might also try a Schleese. I believe Danny worked for them before starting DK.

You can find them used and I have found them responsive to requests.

I had a Schleese jumping saddle for awhile and the quality was very nice.

Personally, I've never found a saddle that I liked better than my Roosli, so you may try riding in a few more brands now that you have an idea of the type/style saddle that works for you.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have a DK Saddle that is over 7 years old, it actually may be longer than that. And while it was an expensive purchase upfront, in the long run it has paid for itself many times. I have been through three horses with this saddle and each time Danny has readjusted it to fit my new horse. And yes, you pay for the adjustment but the saddle fits me all the time and just needs the adjustment for the horse. In addition, as my training improves and my horse's shape changes, I can have the saddle adjusted for his new build.. No complaints on Danny's customer service either. He has been responsive to each of my concerns.

Regal saddles are great. there are many DK and regal saddles in our barn.

you can also try fine-used-saddles.com (enter it into google if it doesn't work, don't know if that is the web address)

Default Dk saddles

Both Danny and Kevin used to work for Schleese and pretty much learned everything they know about saddle design and manufacture while there. However, the design of both Regal and DK has not changed much in the last 10 years, whereas Schleese continues to respond to market needs. (and sometimes the customer doesn't know what she doesn't know!)

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    Both Danny and Kevin used to work for Schleese and pretty much learned everything they know about saddle design and manufacture while there. However, the design of both Regal and DK has not changed much in the last 10 years, whereas Schleese continues to respond to market needs. (and sometimes the customer doesn't know what she doesn't know!)
    Not true.

Not sure about the DK, but the design of the Regals have also been updated and improved over the years. The new ones look quite different than mine, which is an early version that strongly resembles a Schleese.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Kevin does make the DK's, but the idea is that Danny is exploring fit and keeping up with new stuff and cause Kevin is building them, it is pretty hard to keep the Regals from being similar.
    The only difference on them is the logo. But Danny sells his as with his fit experience, so his are a bit more expensive in that you are buying that extra service.
    Kevin does not ride and I believe he is limited in that way. Personally I am going to Schleese since they are the ones that are the ones that began it all.

HI,

I have two DK Dressage Saddles. My mare that I bought for dressage seems to want to be a hunter. I will be selling one of them. I wear a 17.25 seat and the saddle is in excellent condition.

If you are interested PM me.

Thanks,

joAnn